Author Topic: Amiga MODs in Cheapo? Now you can!  (Read 16062 times)

Happy_Feet

Re: Amiga MODs in Cheapo? Now you can!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 07:29:07 AM »
when i tried compiling a style i had made using MODs in the Music: section, the cheapo editor program said the files could not be compressed  :o please help! thx in advance

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 08:04:42 AM »
You need to use the hacked version of the editor. &#A0;In the download I think I named it wledit2x.exe. &#A0;Feel free to replace your unhacked wledit2.exe with the hacked version.

If that doesn't help, then make sure the MOD file is in the same folder as the STT file, I think that's where Cheapo would look for materials.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
O lookie, I'm taking an interest in this! ^_^

HappyFeet probably is trying to insert an s3m, xm, or it file.  I tried to, because theoretically it should be able to play those along with MOD, as they're all supported by BASS.DLL.  And when I included them, I got that.  Just included .mod, and it made the style, but here's where my problem crops up...

I open my style in Wledit2x, go to set the music, pick music #1, which was replaced, and attempt to play it.  I get the "cannot play this music" error.  But, I thought it might just be an editor problem, so I selected music 1 anyway and made a level, then went into the hacked version of the game.  The level music was silent-- nothing played.  I can confirm, the files I used were valid MODs.  The style in question simply takes the graphics from Orig-Fire.sty but adds MOD music.  And yes, I have most stuff except the GFX and Objects referenced to Default.sty.  If you want, I'll post the STT file.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Ksoft link=1131093740/15#17 date=1145119757
HappyFeet probably is trying to insert an s3m, xm, or it file.
"Cannot compress file" (as encountered by Happy_Feet) is an error when the style is being generated, so it has nothing to do with the file format.  Whereas the "cannot play this music" error you encountered would be an error during playback of the music, meaning the music is already put into the style.

I open my style in Wledit2x, go to set the music, pick music #1, which was replaced, and attempt to play it. &#A0;I get the "cannot play this music" error. &#A0;But, I thought it might just be an editor problem,
No, if you get "cannot play this music" in the hacked (wledit2x) editor, then it really does mean that the music won't be played back in wlem2x either, since the two uses the same method to play back the music.

Please send me your s3m/xm/it file so I can investigate further.  Since I have to support multiple file formats that gets handled by different DLLs, I need to perform a format check before handing it off to the DLL that handles it.  Maybe there's a bug in the way I did the format check for s3m/xm/it.

Happy_Feet

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »
[highlight]You need to use the hacked version of the editor. &#A0;In the download I think I named it wledit2x.exe. &#A0;Feel free to replace your unhacked wledit2.exe with the hacked version.

If that doesn't help, then make sure the MOD file is in the same folder as the STT file, I think that's where Cheapo would look for materials. [/highlight]

Of course I am using the hacked Editor. I can't replace the editor, the hacked version complains it can't find the original. Yes, the MOD files are in the same folder.

[highlight]HappyFeet probably is trying to insert an s3m, xm, or it file.[/highlight]

You must think I'm stupid. It's a MOD extension file.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 10:12:10 PM »
*sigh* I think I've been misunderstood...  I didn't even think that the hacked versions supported s3m/xm/it, just MOD, SPC, and MED.  So I used MODs... and the compress problem came to me when I included XMs, S3Ms, and ITs in my style.  Once I took them out it worked....

But meh.  See for yourself on the mods I'm trying so far: http://www.ksoftgames.digibase.ca/files/attemptedmods.zip  These are the ones that refuse to play in the editor/game.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 10:31:16 PM »
Quote from: Happy_Feet link=1131093740/15#19 date=1145138549
*sigh* No one thinks you're stupid... I think... but if that is the case, Pooh probably isn't helping the situation.  ;)

Edit: And actually, even if it has the MOD extension, it might really be another format -- many players will play files correctly even if the extension is wrong.

Happy_Feet

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »
Bleh I dunno. I'm sure they're MODs as theyre ripped from Lemmings. They're on your file archive, Mindless. Winamp verifies to me that theyre not some other format. If I could use VGM, I would, but failing that, I'll go with these MODs...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 03:30:14 AM »
Of course I am using the hacked Editor. I can't replace the editor, the hacked version complains it can't find the original. Yes, the MOD files are in the same folder.
Hmm, I didn't realize the editor search for itself like that.

Anyhow, e-mail me your STT file and the MOD files and I'll try to sort it out.  The error messages generally means it's not finding a file the STT is referencing.  It might not even be the music--try taking out your music section and see whether the editor successfully generates the style or not.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 03:36:32 AM »
Quote from: Mr. Ksoft link=1131093740/15#20 date=1145139130
*sigh* I think I've been misunderstood... &#A0;I didn't even think that the hacked versions supported s3m/xm/it, just MOD, SPC, and MED. &#A0;So I used MODs... and the compress problem came to me when I included XMs, S3Ms, and ITs in my style. &#A0;Once I took them out it worked....

But meh. &#A0;See for yourself on the mods I'm trying so far: http://www.ksoftgames.digibase.ca/files/attemptedmods.zip &#A0;These are the ones that refuse to play in the editor/game.
I'm getting a corrupted zip file error when trying to unzip it.

The hacked version should support s3m/xm/it thru bass.dll (though I haven't tried to be fair), but as I explained, all files go thru an independent format detection logic that I programmed before being passed on to the appropriate DLL, so I'm thinking I probably did something wrong there.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »
Crap, not another person to fall to the corrupt file bug... something's really up with my server; many people who download ZIPs from it get corrupted files.  You using IE?  That's known to be a cause.  And the download works OK for me.

Happy_Feet

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 01:41:38 AM »
okay i somehow got the MODs to compress, but now the editor doesn't recognise them. so i go to put the music into the game, click Test, and it says it can not play specified blah blah blah!! i put my music in slots 22 thru 40 :( whats wrong now ? :'(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 08:17:53 AM »
Quote from: Happy_Feet link=1131093740/15#26 date=1145238098
okay i somehow got the MODs to compress, but now the editor doesn't recognise them. so i go to put the music into the game, click Test, and it says it can not play specified blah blah blah!! i put my music in slots 22 thru 40 :( whats wrong now ? :'(
Generating the style just generates the STY file.  To use the style in any manner, including playtesting the music, you need to create a new level.  Go to the "Level" menu and click on first item, "New" (or, press Ctrl+N).  You'll then be prompted to select the style file to be used for your new level.  Select the style you generated and click OK.

Now when you use the playtest function in the editor it will be playing the music in the selected style.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »
Quote from: Mindless link=1131093740/15#21 date=1145140276
*sigh* No one thinks you're stupid... I think... but if that is the case, Pooh probably isn't helping the situation. &#A0;;)
Remember ex-member JasonXV? :-/ (http://forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1123283493)

Guess who Happy_Feet is?  If you're wondering why you are experiencing a sense of d&#E9;j&#E0; vu......

Happy_Feet

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore link=1131093740/15#28 date=1145263746
Guess who Happy_Feet is? &#A0;If you're wondering why you are experiencing a sense of d&#E9;j&#E0; vu......[/color]

Well i wasnt trying to hide or anything lol.

anyway i tried to make a level with the music in place, i just hear the default midi stuff. then i switch all the slots to anything past 22, and it says cannot play blah blah blah. all my STYs currently reference a STY i sent you by PM ccexplore, which contains the music. well i sent you the STT, but i compiled it..... you get it

(note: back when i was jasonxv, i was rather rude. i apologise sincerely. this new nick wasnt meant to hide me. i just wanted a new nick. lol.)