Author Topic: Lemmings MODs (Amiga)  (Read 14501 times)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Lemmings MODs (Amiga)
« on: September 22, 2005, 06:12:48 AM »
Since the MODs that I posted earlier were, IMHO, not satisfactory1, I've started ripping the music myself.  So far, I've ripped Awesome, and BeastI.  They sound quite good, except the pan might be a bit off... perhaps the tempo, too, though I used the tempo from the earlier rips, since this sounds correct.

I am still confused by a few things in the .sjs file format, so if anyone finds any problems in the music, let me know.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files/music/

1These rips have notes added where there should be none, and some of the notes are wrong.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings MODs (Amiga)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1127369568/0#0 date=1127369568
Since the MODs that I posted earlier were, IMHO, not satisfactory1, I've started ripping the music myself. &#A0;So far, I've ripped Awesome, and BeastI. &#A0;They sound quite good, except the pan might be a bit off... perhaps the tempo, too, though I used the tempo from the earlier rips, since this sounds correct.

I am still confused by a few things in the .sjs file format, so if anyone finds any problems in the music, let me know.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files/music/

I didn't notice any flaws in the two MODs you posted, except the panning.  I played your MODs in DeliPlayer.

I'm not even sure if the real Amiga actually supports stereo sound, so you could probably fix the panning by making everything mono.  In DeliPlayer, using the "Wide Stereo" sound effect (which presumably overrides whatever panning the MOD specifies) and the music sounds pretty perfect to me.

Where are you getting information on the sjs format by the way?  While I don't pretend to know anything about it, having two people look at things could be helpful.

(By the way, I would really love for you to rip the last music of the 6 in Amiga ONML.  Preferably as 4 separate MODs each containing one of the 4 channels.)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:09:32 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1127369568/0#1 date=1127370691
Where are you getting information on the sjs format by the way?  While I don't pretend to know anything about it, having two people look at things could be helpful.

I've figured out most of it by using DeliPlayer and some "CustomPlay" files.  Oddly, the music files on the Amiga Lemmings disk don't seem to be in .SJS format; they might be compressed, I really don't know.

Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1127369568/0#1 date=1127370691
(By the way, I would really love for you to rip the last music of the 6 in Amiga ONML.  Preferably as 4 separate MODs each containing one of the 4 channels.)

I could do that.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:40:01 AM »
Hey, great!

Since I integrated a mod player (as alternative to midi) in my slowly developing Java version of Lemmings, I also could use improved versions of the mods, especially for the ONML level, since I have only one or two midis there.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 12:16:52 PM »
OK, Tune6 is up, as well as BeastII.

@ccexplore:
tune6_split_channels.zip has all three channels in seperate MODs.  (Three, because the fourth is a dummy channel.)

Edit: Tim2 ripped.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 01:24:45 PM »
Thanks, but unfortunately that wasn't the tune I was looking for.

I'm looking for the tune that is played every 6th level in Amiga ONML, ie., Tame 6, Tame 12, etc.  It (very roughly) corresponds to the music played 4th in DOS ONML.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 04:03:39 AM »
Tune4 ripped, and split channels... I think I got it right this time. :D

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if you'd take a look at the [link=http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/LemmingsAmigaHD.zip]original music files[/link], since I can't figure out how they are stored...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 05:09:53 AM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1127369568/0#6 date=1127448219
Tune4 ripped, and split channels... I think I got it right this time. :D

Yep, that's it!  Thanks! :D

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if you'd take a look at the [link=http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/LemmingsAmigaHD.zip]original music files[/link], since I can't figure out how they are stored...

I'll try, but be warned that I know less than you do at this point on this.  Incidentally, did you by any chance try and see whether the DOS DAT decompression works on these files?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 12:11:23 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1127369568/0#7 date=1127452193
I'll try, but be warned that I know less than you do at this point on this.  Incidentally, did you by any chance try and see whether the DOS DAT decompression works on these files?

Yup, it doesn't work... the header is invalid.  :'(

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:24 PM »
Any chance you could rip Menacing and the missing ONML mods?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »
I'll be ripping them all, including Holiday Lemmings, but I can't do them this weekend, so expect them sometime next week.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 04:04:43 PM »
Ok, great. I'm still in alpha development anyway ;)

G3K

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
Excellent work Mindless, I look forward to being able to hear the whole set. ^^

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 11:58:33 PM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1127369568/0#10 date=1127488046
I'll be ripping them all, including Holiday Lemmings, but I can't do them this weekend, so expect them sometime next week.

Aren't the Holiday Lemmings music just a subset of the ONML ones?  (at least it seems so on the PC version).

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 12:17:11 AM »
Nope.

Holiday Lemmings has 3 songs: Jingle Bells, Here we Come a Caroling/Old King Wenceslas, and song 17 from DOS Lemmings (not ONML).

Maybe you have the ONML Adlib.dat when you're playing Holiday Lemmings?