Author Topic: Tilesets that go together well  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Tilesets that go together well
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
One of the major advantages that the current NeoLemmix editor 10.13 has over the old 1.43 version (or also other engines, like WinLems) is the option to combine tiles from different graphic sets. However, when done poorly, elements from different tilesets combined can look pretty out of place. Some however, if combined correctly, can create the illusion of having always belonged to one and the same graphic set.

So I'd like to collect your preferences on which tilesets you tend to combine the most often when designing levels :) .

Here's my list so far:

Mineshaft + Clockwork. Very similar colour-scheme, plus both contain "technological" elements like railways, cogwheels etc.
Fire + Menacing. I must admit I'm kinda proud of my level "Welcome to Hell!" from PARALEMS, which has the skulls and the blood from the Menacing tileset dripping from the stalactites from the fire graphic set. Looks like a match made in heaven... or hell, in this instance ;) .
Beach + Egyptian (L2). Again, a very similar colour-scheme. The desert tileset from LPIII in contrast is a lot less fitting, because its sand colour is so much brighter. Between the Beach and the Egyptian (L2) tileset however, only the palm trees are slightly different shades of green.
Rock + Highland (L2). Both of them have this light-green colour scheme that seem to suit each other quite well. The Outdoor (L2) set, in contrast, is a little too dark green / brown to fit.
Abstract + Psychedelic. Both are very colourful and use very similar colours to boot.

And here are some graphic sets that surprisingly do not work well with each other, in my opinion:

Polar (L2) + Snow / Christmas. The Polar tiles have a slight shade of blue, those from Snow / Christmas a shade of green / teal.
Space (L2) + Space (LPIV). One is more grey, the other one more blue.
Egyptian (L2) + Desert (LPII). As mentioned above, the sand from the Desert set is much brighter.
Cavelem (L2) + Menacing. I was hoping to be able to create some cool cannibal level with this combination, but the Cavelem tiles are just too purple at the edges to match with the blood from the Menacing graphic set.
Medieval (L2) + Rock + Tree (LPII). All of these tilesets have trees, but they all have different shades of green, different sizes, different levels of detail... Hard to create something visually convincing with this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:09:02 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Re: Tilesets that go together well
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
I think it's a bit risky to say "X set goes together with Y set well", mainly because tilesets can have a nice variety of pieces in them, so that some might fit with other graphic sets, while others do not.

For example, the Rock and Crystal tilesets overall do NOT go well together, as the Rock set is very natural, while the Crystal set is more abstract or artificial. But, the Crystal pieces and crystal mineral water go beautifully well with the rock set, especially the emeralds. I'd say, just experiment with what looks good.

Although, I do admit, some sets (like the L2 Circus set and my Lego set) do seem to get along well regardless of pieces, mainly because those sets aren't very diverse in their pieces.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »
Cavelem (L2) + Menacing. I was hoping to be able to create some cool cannibal level with this combination, but the Cavelem tiles are just too purple at the edges to match with the blood from the Menacing graphic set.

A random thought with this: I wonder how it could be made to look via pallet swapping. I should test this when I have the chance.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 05:02:30 AM »
Just FYI, both the Desert and Tree sets are from LPII, not LPIII.

LPII: Tree, Purple, Metal, Psychedelic, Desert
LPIII: Sky, Circuit, Martian, Lab
LPIV: Candy, Space, Clockwork, Wasteland
LPV: Abstract, Honeycomb, Mineshaft, Machine
LPVI: Bridge, Garden, Basement
Doomsday: Horror
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
Thanks, fixed it! :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels