Author Topic: Combine Resampling Options? [PLAYER][SUGGESTION]  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Combine Resampling Options? [PLAYER][SUGGESTION]
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
Currently there are three options doing very similar things: In all cases they resize images using non-integral zoom factors, interpolating the colors to create a decent resized image. They are:
- "Use Smooth Resampling in Menus": Resizes the menu screen to window size.
- "Use Smooth Resampling in Game": Resizes the level area to window size.
- "High-Quality Minimap": Shrinks the level area to the size of the minimap to be displayed there.

All three options stem from one and the same problem: The interpolation process is complicated and creates lags on weaker computers. So I expect that users either enable all or disable all of the three options. Therefore having all three seems redundant and I suggest combining them into one single option "Use Continuous Zoom".

Is there anyone who wouldn't be happy with this change?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Combine Resampling Options? [PLAYER][SUGGESTION]
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
Some people might also avoid non-integral zoom factors specifically for the level area so they can be more sure where exactly the terrain pixels are?  I haven't seen what the non-integral zoom looks like so maybe it's usually fine even for that case.

The minimap option also isn't merely a matter of non-integral vs integral zoom.  It sounds like it's a choice between the original-style minimap versus one that actually looks more like the level preview.  It is perhaps plausible that a nostalgia-minded player may choose to keep the old-style minimap, but opt into non-integral zooms for the other two since those don't change the overall styles of what's being displayed.

Anyhow, those are reasons I can conceive of for someone to not set all 3 options the same way, though probably not many people overall.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
There is a different level of impact. Resampling in-game takes a slightly higher toll than on the main menu (where the scroller exists), and much higher than on preview / postview screens (which only need to be resampled once at the start, and then again during the fadeout - the latter of which was recoded so that the duration is the same and it just skips frames if the CPU isn't keeping up). High-quality minimap, on the other hand, has a HUGE impact, more than either of the others (not to mention that if in-game smoothing is also enabled, it compounds with this to some extent). The in-game smooth resampling has the added issue of that, as ccexplore mentions (albeit for different reasons), it can render the physics a bit unclear; so the most common preference (assuming one's PC can handle it) would in fact likely be "high quality minimap on, in-game smooth resampling off, don't care either way about menu although on does look a little bit nicer" - which would no longer be available with your suggestion.

Using these options does not allow non-integer zoom in game (unless you've added this more recently), and lack of them does not prevent it in the menus. So your suggested name is also completely misleading.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the further input. As all of these options produce considerable lag on my computer, I can't really compare their impacts on performence. This is also the reason why I didn't even know what they do exactly :-[.
I haven't added non-integer zoom and all these resampling options still work exactly as you implemented them.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
For the newest experimental version, I combined the two resampling options, but kept the high-quality minimap separate.

If anyone has issues with this set-up, please speak up.