Author Topic: Raymanni's Gore, Lab, Toys improvements  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: Raymanni's Gore, Lab, Toys improvements
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
That's a tough nut, I never noticed the light is coming from a different angle in my tiles.
Fixing it would require alot of work which I'm not too keen on, especially since mirroring the tiles just wouldn't be enough. :lix-sad:
Besides, my tiles don't even fit with the other lix tiles style-wise, so leaving them as-is wouldn't be that bad, right? Not that I'm against mixing tiles, I just don't think that the end result's look good. For example the default steel pieces of lix don't work with the gore set at all, that's why I tried to make my own. :lix-unsure:

But... if majorty of the people feel that the lighting should be mirrored, I guess I have to help do it.

Raymanni likes to keep vertical beams when the horz beam would look identical modulo rotation. Since Lix editor rotates clockwise, rotating a vertical beam takes 1 rotation in the fixed shading, but 3 rotations in the "wrong" shading, to make it properly horizontal. It's a small advantage again to fixing, but it tips the scales for me.
Yet again I haven't thought about the actual "making levels with these tiles"-part... We could always replace the vertical parts with horizontal ones to decrease the amount of rotations needed. :lix-grin: But this would break "Let's block and Blow?" and "Over My Head" again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
Thanks for the honest reply. Yes, it's sizable work for questionable benefit. And it's my fault too for not discussing this earlier.

I'm okay doing all the grunt work. E.g., the Toy set is mostly mirroring, and I'm cool with re-pixelling the A-B-C-D blocks. I would report back with a few hard tiles at best.

Are you okay if I simply mirror the eye and the tentacles, because they haven't ever been used in levels yet? But if you have the set in NL, the Lix set wouldn't be a perfect match anymore then.

I'm okay delaying 0.9 over this for several days. The alternative is to release 0.9 with the v2.2 sets, then reconsider it at 0.10 when the tiles will have seen far more usage.

-- Simon

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
It just wouldn't be fair if you did all the work. I also don't support the idea of mirroring only a couple of tiles (tentacles and the eye) then they wouldn't fit together with the rest of the set.

I'm willing to redo the tiles, but I want to hear what other people have to say about this first. I want to be certain, I wouldn't want to do any unnecessary work you see. :lix-tongue:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
I think that's all! I stayed up all night (no I didn't) to reshade/mirror all of the tiles. :lix-grin:

I also removed the gradient from lab and gore waters to make them stackable.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Wow! I've skimmed through the Toy set, and it's all perfect. Even the exit and hatches with multiple sprites are meticulously re-shaded.

Then I looked at the Gore set, and you really went for 100 % here: You've re-shaded even the red blobs with their very subtle shading. I considered them good despite wrong shading, and yet you fixed it, keeping the old mask.

The tentacles are mirrored, that's perfectly fine because they weren't used -- unlike letter cubes, the tentacles don't have a natural left/right orientation and are now just as good.

Hats off for doing it this fast!

-- Simon

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Thank you! Yeah, I mirrored everything that hasn't been used in any levels yet. :lix-wink: