Author Topic: Double date in Berlin, July 2018  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Double date in Berlin, July 2018
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
Hi,

Over the weekend, I visited Forestidia. We have a relationship; some forumers have already guessed that.

Flopsy and Lucia, his girlfriend, spent a week in Berlin for vacation. We decided to meet them!

At their hotel, Forestidia showed the Prince of Persia 1 and Commander Keen 6 speedruns. I gave the couch commentary. Afterwards, we went into town for lunch and smalltalk.

Here is a picture of Flopsy (left) and Simon (me, right).

This picture is confusing in light of the topic title "Double Date"; Flopsy and I are not in a relationship with each other. But the girls preferred not to have their pictures posted on Lemmings Forums.

Forestidia and I went to Tierpark, a large zoo in Berlin.

The Tierpark has porcupines -- both new-world porcupines (these sit in North American trees) and old-world porcupines. The particular old-world porcupine species in Tierpark is the Indian Crested Porcupine, a relative of the African Crested Porcupine that you see in my avatar.

Here's a happy Simon next to 3 porcupines cuddling in the corner. Those 3 porcupines are lying next to each other, touching. The middle porcupine faces leftwards, the othes face rightwards. Such social animals, they don't sting each other with their quills.

Here's a close-up. This porcupine sleeps in the shade, avoiding the afternoon sun. The hair fits along the body, the quills are down in peace. Who wouldn't want to cuddle?

I'm sure Flopsy remembers how much I raved about seeing these porcupines.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:27:21 AM by Simon »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Double date in Berlin, July 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
Thanks a lot for meeting up with us Simon and Forestidia, and you certainly were a great couple by the way you were couch commentating on the speed running Forestidia demonstrated, you make a great team :). I'm glad you announced it now so I didn't have to keep it a secret.

You opened my eyes to the speed running you do very regularly and how well you commentate on what you are doing and why you are doing it (something I enjoy about the format of the GDQ events with their couch commentators).

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
No lemmings at that zoo? ;)

Porcupines would make for good traps, though. Probably fire traps rather than triggered ones - it's enough to touch them to get hurt :D ! Plus, we already have other sharp objects, like claws or spikes, that behave like fire traps.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
I think Nessy made a porcupine trap for Lix, though I haven't seen it in action personally.
On the topic of porcupines, I don't think I've ever seen one in real life... Which is sad because they look adorable. :'(

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
I think Nessy made a porcupine trap for Lix

Actually Raymanni made this trap.

Offline Lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Thank you for meeting up in Berlin. I really thoroughly enjoyed it and my favourite part was watching the awesome Prince of Persia speed runs and being introduced to Commander Keen (what a great game). I also enjoyed hearing about the porcupines and the little cute scorpion-eating mammals (I cannot remember the name of the species).

Lucia

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
Mongooses! :lix-grin: I knew only the German name (Manguste) and had to look this up.

Welcome to the forums!

-- Simon

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »
Commander Keen? I only knew about that game from German author Paul Maar's "Sams" children's books (Sams as in "Samstag", German for "Saturday"; so, a "Satur" is a child-size creature with red hair, a pig's nose and blue dots in the face that can fulfil wishes).

I didn't know that game was real, I thought Paul Maar had made it up.

Funnily enough though, there's also a scene in one of those books where the main character plays Lemmings! :)

So by that, I probably should have figured that Commander Keen was a real gane, too :) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
Welcome to the forums Lucia! :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Thank you

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »
Was implied in my post, but here's also an explicit "Welcome to the forums!" from my side ;) !
My packs so far: