Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Casualemmings  (Read 21228 times)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Casualemmings
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:54:26 AM »
Version 1.2 is now out!

This forum is frequented by experts at Lemmings, who love to make really hard levels.
I am not one of them, and cannot conquer some of their devilish creations.
Perhaps you're in my boat? Or maybe you're just like Lemmings but are new to NeoLemmix?
In that case, this pack could be the one for you!

Featuring 100 levels across five ratings, this pack contains many easier levels for the casual player to enjoy, but also a few tough ones as well.
(Yeah, I know I said that about my first pack but bear with me here :8():)

Calm - 30 levels :D
A relaxing romp that introduces many of the new skills and objects in NeoLemmix, and doesn't have too many difficult challenges. Puzzles are fairly simple, and many levels give you significantly more than you need to win.

Perky - 25 levels :)
This rating introduces a few more NeoLemmix mechanics. Puzzles are a bit tougher. Levels still often give you more than you need, but the wiggle room is a bit less than in Calm.

Twitchy - 20 levels :o
The puzzles start getting hard here. You'll have to use skills in some odd ways and manage your Lemmings carefully so they don't meet with terrible fates. Though many of them will be doomed anyway... Still, expect wiggle room on at least a few levels.

Hyper - 15 levels :lem-shocked:
If you're looking for some puzzles that are a real challenge, you may just find them here. Don't expect anything Spiky or Sharp (except perhaps a few traps here and there, ho ho), but these aren't a cakewalk either. Wiggle room is sparse, but still existent on some levels.

??? - 10 levels :devil:
QUARANTINE. NO ENTRY WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION

Oh, and oftentimes the last few levels in a rating are harder than the starting levels in the next rating. My reasoning is as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3GzZtx2xes

As for talismans, we've got those too! 12 talisman challenges for you to try out. 2 of them don't tell you directly what to do either, but rather present a riddle...
Of course, if that isn't your thing, you can just check here to see what those riddles are asking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Download the custom music here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmbtedsac54nx27/CasualemmingsMusic.zip?dl=1
If upgrading from version 1.1, you need only download this new music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3khzg6ux6kdyeu/CasualemmingsMusic2.zip?dl=1
The level pack is attached to the post.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:38:42 PM by nin10doadict »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Casualemmings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
For some odd reason, I have the songs in the music folder but THEY WONT PLAY >:(
I double checked to make sure of it

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »
As for any levels I deemed "Impossible" so far
"Look at them shimmy"
The level is literally to hard for it position let alone solvable.
You 3 bashers for it as I tried everything on that level an not a single idea worked

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
You 3 bashers for it as I tried everything on that level an not a single idea worked
Challenge accepted.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
I have played through the first rank and a little bit of the second rank and I'm loving these levels :thumbsup:. I love the puzzles in the first rank levels as they are not trivial, but not difficult. I will make another post with my replays when I'm finished so that you can have everything at once.

This forum is frequented by experts at Lemmings, who love to make really hard levels.
I am not one of them, and cannot conquer some of their devilish creations.
Perhaps you're in my boat? Or maybe you're just like Lemmings but are new to NeoLemmix?
In that case, this pack could be the one for you!

I am a firm believer that great levels and hard levels are not correlated. Are there very hard levels that are great? Yes. Are there easy or simple levels that are also great. Of course! It is true that a lot of people like to create challenge levels. I'm one of those people because I personally love playing and creating challenging levels, but that doesn't make me any better or worst than another creator. Everybody brings their own flavor to the table.

As for any levels I deemed "Impossible" so far
"Look at them shimmy"
The level is literally to hard for it position let alone solvable.

"Look At That Shimmy" is not impossible, but it is the the hardest level in Calm. It's my favorite level so far by the way :thumbsup:. I found the solution to be very clever. Trust me... it is 100% possible.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
I downloaded the pack and I'm having a blast with it (I also completed Look at the Shimmy.;))

I didn't even know that it's possible to change the level completed jingle! That's pretty great! :laugh:

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »
I was able to play the first three ranks (I wanted to try the last one but I'm starting to get an actual headache :XD: so I'll do it tomorrow if I have time).

First off, your levels are the perfect example of what I was talking about in my previous post: I may not get stuck on them for days, but WOW the puzzles are really good! My favorites so far are "Look at that Shimmy!", "Hither and Tither", "Lem isn't Fair", "A Touch Too Much", and "Operation: Super Rescue" as well (I hope I did that one intended). Great job! :thumbsup:

I attached my replies below. Hopefully, I didn't break any levels ;P.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
To Nessy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty happy with the reception so far, and it's a lot less broken than Lemmings Squared was from the looks of it.

I think I'll work on cleaning up the small problems/backroutes that people find, adjust the placement of some levels (I'm thinking that 'Look at them shimmy!' probably needs to move up a bit) and perhaps add a few more levels for the next update.

I also never knew a blocker that is standing on a locked exit will escape when the exit opens.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
You have a lot of very nice levels there :thumbsup::thumbsup:, though I probably backrouted a few.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
Finally got around to completing the Hyper rank :thumbsup:. My replies for that rank only are attached below.

Here are my comments (click to show/hide)

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »
People keep telling me that Hyper 2 has many different solutions, but both Nessy and Nepster (and me for that matter) have done pretty much the same thing solving it... If you're referring to how you don't have to be super precise about it, then I agree and I think the level is better for it.
There are definitely some things I'm seeing here that were a bit unintended... I've got some work to do, but I've already fixed a few. Look forward to an update that may feature a few new levels to boot!
Thanks to all with the help playtesting! :thumbsup:

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »
May I ask where you got that Kitty trap from? Did you create it yourself, and if so, would you offer it as a download somewhere? ;) As you may have figured out already, I'm a huge fan of animal-like traps! :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:50:24 PM »
I did create it myself using sprites from Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap as a baseline. The sound is a combination of two sounds from the Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions.
I'll attach the custom tileset to the next update (which contains the pieces used in Perky 20 as well), which should be soon. I believe I've ironed out all backroutes at this point and have made 2 of the 5 new levels, so it shouldn't be too long in coming.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Version 1.1 is just about ready to go. I've fixed the backroutes and adjusted levels according to feedback that I've received, and added five more levels to boot. However, since one of said levels was my submission to the design contest #13, I'm debating on holding off the release of the new version until the voting session for the contest begins.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
Will you simply exchange the file in the starting post once you upload the next version? I'm currently thinking about how to do this with PARALEMS myself. Afaik some people are still playing the old version, so I feel like I should wait for their feedback; yet, just like you, I believe I've fixed most of the backroutes and would like to give the pack another shot ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels