Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #13  (Read 4016 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemmings Forums Level Contest #13
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by Colorful Arty as his prize for winning the last contest #12.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before!; there are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level each for up to two of the rules. You may use NeoLemmix, Lix, or SuperLemmini. If you have two entries, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last update, with no limits on how much it may extend.
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset provided by Colorful Arty:

Rule 1:

Make a level that involves tileset mixing. The level must use terrain and/or objects from at least two different tilesets.

Please make sure that the tileset mixing is easily noticable. Simply putting in one object or terrain piece from another tileset is a bit boring. I think I can trust you to make use of the tileset mixing feature in at least a reasonable way for this rule. Otherwise setting a fixed minimum requirement for this is quite hard.

Rule 2:

Make a level with at least two intended solutions, example being "They Just Keep on Coming" from Lemmings 1 (Tricky 9).

The two intended solutions must be significally different ---> only swapping out 2 skills or only moving the assignments ever so slightly won't cut it for this.

Rule 3:

Make a level without using any tilesets from official Lemmings games, this includes Lemmings 1, Lemmings 2, Oh no more lemmings!, XMAS Lemmings, and Lemmings Chronicles.
Gronkling's menace and BeastII tilesets do not count as L1 tilesets, so they are allowed for this rule.
Lix levels should use tilesets outside of the initial ones created (this means the following ones + any approved new tilesets are acceptable: Amanda's occult and forest sets, Raymanni's sets, Proxima's tile/spheres set).

Submission phase ends September 30th 2017 at 00:00 UTC. Deadline for the playing / update phase will be announced when it begins.

So you've got a bit more time to enter this time and hopefully this will result in a few more submissions! Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 13

- bsmith (1)
- IchoTolot (2)
- Colorful Arty (2)
- Flopsy (2)
- Nessy (1)
- Simon (1)
- möbius (1)
- nin10doadict (2)
- Raymanni  (1)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:12:03 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #13
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »
The first entry got to me today! Hope there will be many more! :laugh:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:19:13 AM »
Just for the record everyone - this contest is just as official as any contest that I've run. We simply have IchoTolot running it because I tend to be very slack at keeping the contests up to date; but this one is fully approved by me (which is also why IchoTolot now has board-specific moderator status on the contest board).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
I intend on entering the contest this time. Some nice rules I think, nice picks from Arty.

I think the number of the contest is what is putting people off :P.

But in all seriousness, I think the fact that the submission time is longer is the reason that there aren't as many entries at the moment.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:47:43 PM »
But in all seriousness, I think the fact that the submission time is longer is the reason that there aren't as many entries at the moment.

Totally intended. I hope this extra time leads to even better optimized levels and also that everyone gets a chance to get their entry in even when he/she is busy at a timeframe.

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
I may or may not submit levels. I feel a little weird for submitting levels under my own rules, but also Lemming level progress has been slow as molasses in midwinter for me. That should change when I move back to college though. I will LP the levels this time though. ;)
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
Quite right. I will be joining the contest later. ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
I may or may not submit levels. I feel a little weird for submitting levels under my own rules, but also Lemming level progress has been slow as molasses in midwinter for me. That should change when I move back to college though. I will LP the levels this time though. ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with submitting under your chosen rules. People have done it before.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
Playing phase slowly closes in! Get your entries ready and send them to me! ;P