Author Topic: Frequent "An error occurred while trying to save data" [bug] [player]  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
NeoLemmix_11-14-19_1cf3523 extracted into fresh dir, run in Wine.

I get Msgboxes with "An error occurred while trying to save data." frequently during seemingly standard operation on this new NL set-up. Dismissing the msgboxes continues the expected program flow. No crashes. These msgboxes spawn e.g.:
  • wine NeoLemmix.exe. Bass.dll not found, fine. You are running this in Wine, do you want windowed? Yes. An error occured while trying to save data.
  • Welcome to NL, use which configuration? Select default with Lix, Next. We're in the main menu. Click, hoping that something meaningful happens. An error occurred trying to save data.
  • Preview of Covox level 1 displays. Click, hoping that we can play the level. An error occurred trying to save data.
The second issue is that this error is not informative. What failed? Dir not exist? Maybe only hits on Linux? This uninformative error wording is the bigger issue -- with clear error, I might work around the original issue and continue testing. Now instead, I abort testing after 5 minutes because too painful. <_<

The log file has a datetime of the session, but no errors.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:39:17 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Cause of BASS.DLL issue: I forgot to include BASS.DLL when I uploaded the latest version. Will fix soon. To save you redownloading, you can simply obtain a copy from Un4seen Developments; download link is near the top, and is somewhat easy to miss.

Running in WINE message is expected if you're running in WINE. This is because NeoLemmix's fullscreen mode has issues on some Linux desktops, in particular Unity.

Not sure what's happening with the level failing to load. Data is saved on any screen transition (should probably change this to a more intelligent system); the error message simply states that some kind of exception occurred during the transition. Will need to fire up the VM at some point to investigate this, as no such issue seems to occur when run natively on Windows. Can you check whether a "save" folder has been created in NeoLemmix's folder, and if so, whether there's anything in it? (There should be, if all works well, "config.ini", "hotkeys.ini" and "userdata.nxsv".)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Downloaded most recent, ran NL to get a couple save errors, then I exited NL. Game didn't generate directory "save".

I created the "save" directory myself, and the game is very happy, it created hotkeys.ini, settings.ini, and userdata.nxsv inside. Settings persist as expected between settings. Thanks!

Speculation: Your makedir call breaks in Wine, no idea why, and everybody else uses Windows.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:58:20 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Actual cause: There was a recent change to what gets saved, which occurs before the folder creation check does. This is now fixed for next update.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
was this fixed update released yet?

I ask because I just downloaded the latest player update and I get this error before the program even opens and it fails to start (then another access violation error message).

I tried Simon's workaround but this doesn't seem to work for me.

[I'm on Windows 10 right now, btw. But I won't be for long]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
mobius: Did you use the upgrade or fresh install? If it was the upgrade, can you try the fresh install (preferably to a new, empty folder; but don't forget to create the "save" folder in it due to this bug) and see if it works?
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I had used the upgrade.

I tried the fresh install now and that worked [still needing to manually create a "save" folder] :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain