Author Topic: The Matching Game  (Read 14455 times)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
Re: The Matching Game
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
What would be the expected number of points if one guessed randomly?

I'm probably wrong but I think it's 1 point per question, 2 points if one guesses their own responses correctly. So that's 6 points or 12. Everybody should be commended for doing much better than that!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
Interesting math problem. The Rencontres numbers D(n, k) count permutations of n elements that leave exactly k elements fixed. There are short closed formulas for any single D(n, k), but I haven't attempted to compute the expected value, the sum of k * D(n, k) over all 0 ≤ k ≤ n with fixed n. The factorials sound like there might be a nice formula for the sum.

-- Simon

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »
Simon's answer to question 3 caused me the widest and longest-lasting grin I've had in a while! :D

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
What would be the expected number of points if one guessed randomly?
I'm probably wrong but I think it's 1 point per question, 2 points if one guesses their own responses correctly. So that's 6 points or 12. Everybody should be commended for doing much better than that!
No, you are absolutely right. The expected number of fixed points in a permutation is exactly 1. While Simon's approach works, it's probably easier to prove this via induction over the number of elements n:

For this we pick one element and consider the length of the cycle it is contained in:
Case 1) This cycle has length 1, i.e. is a fix-point. Then we still have to permute the other n-1 elements, which by induction has one more expected fix-point. So we have a total of 2 expected fix-points in this case, which occurs with probability 1/n.
Case 2) This cycle has length n. Then there is obviously no fix-point. This case occurs with probability 1/n, too.
Case 3) In all remaining cases, there are still other elements to permute, so by induction we have exactly one expected fix-point. This occurs with the remaining probability of (n-2)/n.
So in total, the expected number of fix-points is:
1/n * 2 + 1/n * 0 + (n-2)/n * 1 = 1

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »
My person specific answers (correct ones bolded):

Akseli – 1. liquorice 2. Facebook 3. glistening but pointless junk 4. athlete 5. Pokémon trainer 6. I would be clueless.
- 6/6

ccexplore – 1. vanilla 2. Google 3. gold, frankincence and myrrh 4. software engineer 5. frog trap 6. Call police, tell 2525… - 1/6

ColorfulArty – 1. strawberry 2. Nintendo Everything 3. francensence murr and gold 4. movie producer/director 5. Cranky Kong 6. Make note of what everyone else does and publish the events as a movie script. - 0/6

geoo – 1. vanilla 2. Google 3. wisdom 4. rock climber 5. Commander Keen 6. shoot the hostages - 1/6

Gronkling – 1. green tea 2. Little Fighter Empire 3. Pacifier, diapers, a soundproof box 4. musician 5. komasan 6. Tell the driver there’s a bomb… - 3/6

IchoTolot – 1. chocolate 2. YouTube 3. gifts 4. medical doctor 5. Kane 6. Keep the bus just over 80,4672km/h… - 4/6

mobius – 1. mint chocolate chip 2. Aljazeera English 3. The first wise man brought him medicine… 4. CEO 5. Chell 6. Anything I want, this is America after all. - 2/6

NaOH – 1. moose tracks 2. YouTube 3. Um… Hay? 4. writer 5. sans 6. Jump of the bus and hope I survive. - 1/6

Ramon – 1. banana 2. YouTube 3. smoke 4. indie developer 5. Warren 6. It is most likely I am not on this bus… 3/6

Raymanni – 1. Anything with lots of sprinkles 2. rateyourmusic 3. lots of gold 4. composer 5. GLaDOS 6. panic - 0/6

Simon – 1. chocolate 2. Twitch 3. zip archive with backroutes 4. game developer 5. Stinky 6. If I’m the driver: Honk to make sure… 3/6

I didn't include my thought processes to avoid cluttering my guesses above, you could ask them if you're interested! :) Naturally I'd like to hear what people thought were my answers and why, thanks for ccexplore already giving some thought on this.

#lix logs Thursday the 15th of June 2017
[04:20:59]   <SimonN> it's scary how much I inferred from writing style
[04:21:34]   <SimonN> writing style is so much more personal than the subject written about

This was my approach also. (I am looking at you, IchoTolot question 6 with + marks and all that! ;) )

#lix logs Friday the 16th of June 2017
[00:13:38]   <Akseli> maximum points is 66
[00:13:54]   <Akseli> I wonder what's going to be the winning score :DDD
[00:14:06]   <Akseli> I'd guess below 25

Yeah, with this many people involved, getting good points related to the maximum was really challenging.

Thanks mobius, was fun even with just 6 questions! Obviously this game tends to get exhausting especially for the Quizmaster though, yes.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:31:56 PM by Akseli »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 01:36:43 AM »
Writing styles definitely helped with some of the very wordy answers like Icho's #6, but there weren't actually many of them, partly due to what some of the questions asked for.  And sometimes it misleads; for example I'm curious now how many people besides Askeli and me also guessed "mobius" for the "this is America" answer in #6? :P

#3 definitely have some fun answers. :thumbsup: I'm guessing Icho's must have been floating around the net for a while, or is it original?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:18 PM »
Writing styles definitely helped with some of the very wordy answers like Icho's #6, but there weren't actually many of them, partly due to what some of the questions asked for.  And sometimes it misleads; for example I'm curious now how many people besides Askeli and me also guessed "mobius" for the "this is America" answer in #6? :P

#3 definitely have some fun answers. :thumbsup: I'm guessing Icho's must have been floating around the net for a while, or is it original?

The answer is original ;P

I just wanted to come up with some crazy explanations for some of the "wonders" mainly for a comedy effect.

And I really like comming up with some actual solutions for problems like the bus situation, at least so long as it's not too complicated :P

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
This was a very fun game even though I didn't do any guessing... :XD: I still had fun reading everyone's answers!