Author Topic: NLEditor - a new file-type NeoLemmix editor - Test version  (Read 22587 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: NLEditor - a new file-type NeoLemmix editor - Test version
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
As I am reading the FAQ again: Will there be support for rotated objects in the future? Because I don't really see the reason why there shouldn't be support for that until now ???
And I don't really see the reason, why this should be supported. I suspect that this feature is one of Simon's carrots: The old editor supported it for a long time now, rarely someone used it, but everyone likes to have this option.

Once you convince me that a rotated hatch is something you gonna need, this will become available. :P I just haven't seen any real good use for most rotated objects. The only rotated object used in an acutal level (at least that I am aware of), is the fire-blower.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »
As I am reading the FAQ again: Will there be support for rotated objects in the future? Because I don't really see the reason why there shouldn't be support for that until now ???
And I don't really see the reason, why this should be supported. I suspect that this feature is one of Simon's carrots: The old editor supported it for a long time now, rarely someone used it, but everyone likes to have this option.

Once you convince me that a rotated hatch is something you gonna need, this will become available. :P I just haven't seen any real good use for most rotated objects. The only rotated object used in an acutal level (at least that I am aware of), is the fire-blower.

If the fire blower is the only object that ever gets rotated then it would make more sense to simply designed a rotated fire blower.
If however more tilesets get created which have objects which people want to rotate it makes more sense to support rotating in the editor.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »
LPO2 has a level (Sharp Minded Lemming) that uses rotated water for decoration. One of my NLC contributions (The Golden Rule Of Lem) uses a rotated spike trap from the Pillar set, fully functional. Those are the only cases I can think of off the top of my head (OWWs excluded) where I've used object rotating.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
I use rotated objects all the time. Please keep support of them, but the collision detection needs to be fixed for them.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 03:51:14 AM »
I use rotated objects all the time. Please keep support of them, but the collision detection needs to be fixed for them.
LPO2 has a level (Sharp Minded Lemming) that uses rotated water for decoration. One of my NLC contributions (The Golden Rule Of Lem) uses a rotated spike trap from the Pillar set, fully functional. Those are the only cases I can think of off the top of my head (OWWs excluded) where I've used object rotating.

yeah, I want this kept at all cost. Rotation is something that made tilesets have wider horizons for level design so it'd be a crime if it didn't come back

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 04:57:59 AM »
GigaLem: Rotation of terrain pieces is not under question. That is staying, for sure.

Even rotating objects, it's unlikely to be removed from NeoLemmix, but not sure if Nepster will support it in his editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
I use rotated objects all the time. Please keep support of them [...]
Thanks for this info. What types of objects do you rotate or even invert? I am completely set againts allowing rotation of hatches, preplaced lemmings or (anti-)splat pads (and a few other types of objects) and will never allow rotation (or even inverting) for all objects. So I need to know a bit more details.
@GigaLem and everyone else: If you use rotated (or even inverted) objects (not only terrain), could you please post a bit more details, too? Thanks in advance.

[...] but the collision detection needs to be fixed for them.
This is something the NeoLemmix player has to support first, before I can do anything in the editor.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:25 AM »
Thanks for this info. What types of objects do you rotate or even invert? I am completely set againts allowing rotation of hatches, preplaced lemmings or (anti-)splat pads (and a few other types of objects) and will never allow rotation (or even inverting) for all objects. So I need to know a bit more details.
@GigaLem and everyone else: If you use rotated (or even inverted) objects (not only terrain), could you please post a bit more details, too? Thanks in advance.

This kind of stuff saves space and increases ideas in Graphic sets
Not needing to make a Inverted, Rotated, or Flipped version of the tile because the editor can do it for us

Same can be said for certain NL objects too. You only need to have one version of the piece and the editor does the rest

while is shrinks the file size it increases the possibilities for levels.
Case in point, The Sky set from LPIII. Most people hated the graphic set because of its limited use. By adding the rotation feature, Its now more usable than ever before.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 12:46:52 AM »
I tried it out a bit; :thumbsup: very fun so far. Simple and more straightforward than the old editor.

I can't play test yet for reasons. I'll post with more comments later.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »
GigaLem: Rotation of terrain pieces is not under discussion here. Nepster's editor supports rotating terrain. No one debates that this option is extremely useful, and it isn't under any threat. We're talking about rotating objects here.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
This kind of stuff saves space and increases ideas in Graphic sets
Not needing to make a Inverted, Rotated, or Flipped version of the tile because the editor can do it for us

Same can be said for certain NL objects too. You only need to have one version of the piece and the editor does the rest
To elaborate on what namida already said: Even in the current version of the editor (try it out :thumbsup:), you can
- Invert, Rotate and Flip any terrain piece
- Flip any object
These will certainly stay possible. I am now considering allowing rotation and invesion for (more) objects, exactly due to the reasons you state. Still I would like to have one question answered:
For which object types (trap, fire, water, teleporter, ...) have you use the option "Rotate" resp. "Invert" in some level?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
Not a case of using it myself, but I've seen inverted water (including in cases where it has a functional purpose) in more than a few cases. Off the top of my head, the only case I can think of where I've used it was mostly decorative.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
For me I regulary use inverted objects for active and decorative use, rotated I must check, but I've seen several levels that use rotated objects.
Example for active usage of object rotating: Last level of LemmingsSquared uses a vertical wall of water as a "deadly wall".

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:45 AM »
some quick comments on things I noticed while looking it over:

I like the layout and interface. Love the bring to font/back options. My prayers have been answered, Turkel. :D :thumbsup:

I noticed a problem:
When you turn off object rendering they dissapear but you can still select objects (which you can't see). Same for terrain. I'm assuming this is a glitch. If it's not a glitch: this is bad. This is certaintly not helpful and don't see a benefit to this. When terrain or X gets not rendered it shouldn't be selectable.

Also: is there no delete option? [delete terrain etc?]

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
When you turn off object rendering they dissapear but you can still select objects (which you can't see). Same for terrain. I'm assuming this is a glitch. If it's not a glitch: this is bad. This is certaintly not helpful and don't see a benefit to this. When terrain or X gets not rendered it shouldn't be selectable.
This is a bug and will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for reporting.

Also: is there no delete option? [delete terrain etc?]
Yes there is: Either via the menu tab "Edit -> Cut" or via the hotkey "Ctrl+X".