Author Topic: [Suggestion] "Permanent Skill" only exits  (Read 4230 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] "Permanent Skill" only exits
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:55:47 AM »
Or pre-assigned exits that only certain lemmings can enter and in the game a skill would displayed over it

Edited by namida: Removed the [EDITOR] tag from the title, as this is probably more tied to the game itself than to the editor, and at any rate the current editor is not getting further updates so all posts relating to it are being closed.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion][Editor]"Permanent Skill" only exits
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »
I like the idea! :)

But for now the focus should lay on the change to the new format. After that's done I think this idea could be tested out. :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
It's easy enough as it is to make an exit only reachable by lemmings with a particular permanent skill. I don't think this adds anything.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
I'd support this. In Revolution there are three different kinds of lemmings which can only exit in their prospective exits. This made some good puzzles.
A different approach might be to just have differently colored lemmings and each color can only exit in the appropriate color.

I also want to encourage another easy implementation I think; exits that only allow a specific number of lemmings in [displayed with a number above that counts down] and then close when that limit is reached. Kind of like the opposite of a locked exit.

It's easy enough as it is to make an exit only reachable by lemmings with a particular permanent skill. I don't think this adds anything.

It's not necessarily easy. As I learned making a level of my own sometimes trying to get an exit only accessible via climbers requires you to adjust the terrain a lot, which could ruin something else about the level requiring another change etc and so forth.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:11:58 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
I don't know if the skill-based exit is really a good thing.  On the other hand I can immediately see the level potential for limited-count exits.  Levels like Fun 23 would be notably different if a third of each group has to go to different exits.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
This idea feels like 2 Player lemmings being played in one player mode :)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
I also want to encourage another easy implementation I think; exits that only allow a specific number of lemmings in [displayed with a number above that counts down] and then close when that limit is reached. Kind of like the opposite of a locked exit.

I'd be totally down for this idea, this has the potential to create a lot of interesting puzzles. You could for example have a 4-exit level, and four lemmings; each exit has a 1-lemming limit, basically meaning that all four exits must be used by one lemming each.

A problem on one hand is that we are limited to using locked exits in order for this to work, but then again we can mix graphic sets. But on another hand, I'm thinking that if one wanted to use a regular exit instead of the locked, perhaps put a "Do Not Enter" sign over the exit (two suggestions on how this could be done in the picture below)? Not my best idea, but it's a start.

The numbers should also be displayed in regular mode, not just Clear Physics mode.

I'd like to see an experimental implementing these ideas so we can test this more, along with exits only allowing permanent skills. 
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] "Permanent Skill" only exits
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »
Maybe a object by the type name of
"Limited Exit" where it would have a closing frame similar to that of the locked exit where It can have any of the following
-permanent skill only
-walker only
-only #'s of Lemmings allowed
-zombies only
-use as unlock switch

And @wafflem, I like your little example

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »
I like the idea of an exit that can only take a certain amount of lemmings in! That could make some sweet puzzles.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
Just letting you know: This suggestion is not forgotten or ignored. Thanks for all the discussion.

I'd like to see an experimental implementing these ideas so we can test this more, along with exits only allowing permanent skills. 
But unfortunately you'll have to wait until the new-formats version is relatively stable until either namida or I have time for such empermental versions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 06:40:01 AM »
Okay so, while looking through old suggestions I found this one and - obviously, limited-count exits have already been done. I'm not really sure what "walker only" would do (unless this means as in eg. a lemming building past it would ignore it but walkers following him would exit), nor "use as unlock switch", but there will not be any kind of exit that allows (let alone exclusively allows) zombies - use neutrals if you need that. In all fairness, neutrals did not exist yet when that post was made, but it's an option now.

I'm not convinced permanent-skill-only exits are worthwhile, especially when you could likely place an exit such that the permanent skill in question is required to access it. Disarmer could be a bit tricky to do this with, but the rest should be no problem, and I don't see that one edge case as being worth implementing the feature for.

As such - I'm closing this topic.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)