Author Topic: Level select menu  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Level select menu
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Very good point. Then we need perhaps only the success and success-on-earlier-version icons and display no icon at all for all other levels?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
hold on, I don't find that irritating at all. How is this discouraging? I'd like to be able to see easily and differentiate between what levels I've tried and not solved yet and ones I haven't tried at all and solved levels.

I've tried the exp a little bit btw, I like it so far. I also agree with Icho I'd also like the option to just open a pack from the start to see it's own personal start screen and whatever.

pressing ESC to get out of the selection menu would be nice.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:43:25 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »
Proxima: I think an "attempted" icon is useful. Perhaps what's needed is not removing it, but changing it to a less "negative" graphic?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
Your idea about Flexi generating the images would have worked well (if it weren't for lack of knowledge of rendering) for the current version. Not so much for the new loose-files version, where someone may have modified the level since
Yes, good point. Still I would prefer that the level selection menu displays all other level info together with a placeholder first and remains fully functional, then renders the level internally and when it is finished adds the preview image to the level selection menu. And if the user moves to the next level, the player aborts it's previous try at rendering the level and starts with rendering the new level.

I haven't had much luck implementing this. It'd probably need significant modification to (or duplication of) the rendering code. However, I tried doing this without implementing the "do in background" thing, and with how quickly new-formats can load and render levels, the delay is negligable (on the order of about 1/10th of a second on Insane 20 of LPIV, which is a fairly intensive level to render).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)