Author Topic: My concerns regarding the new format  (Read 1909 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
My concerns regarding the new format
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:59:13 AM »
I worried about the new format, mainly if...
New level file? - meaning converting every level I've made before the new format into the new format, and that daunts me X_X If that isn't the case disregard this
Removing certain features I had plans to use? - I was thinking of making a custom lemmings sprites (Or rather, Change the color to match that of Milla (See FPXLemmings) and have bouncing ears) I'm just worried I'll never be able to have a chance to use it, and I really want to use it soon (I did get to use the custom Victory theme though, I still want that to be a thing)
New file type for gstool? - Good god if that was the case, I'm so dead because I would have to update over 12 tilesets, and then some considering I've converted some tiles too

Considering I barely had time with the current version, it kinda demotivates me from making levels atm

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: My concerns regarding the new format
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:10:22 AM »
New level file? - meaning converting every level I've made before the new format into the new format, and that daunts me X_X If that isn't the case disregard this
Two reasons this won't be an issue. Firstly, there'll be tools to automate the conversion; and secondly, the new formats version will support the older format level files, at least for a while. (However, this won't be optimal; use of the new format will be strongly recommended, and the editor will not be able to save old format levels.)

Removing certain features I had plans to use? - I was thinking of making a custom lemmings sprites (Or rather, Change the color to match that of Milla (See FPXLemmings) and have bouncing ears) I'm just worried I'll never be able to have a chance to use it, and I really want to use it soon (I did get to use the custom Victory theme though, I still want that to be a thing)

Pretty much nothing that exists in the current stable build is going to be removed. The only thing that I'm currently considering removing is the "Mac-style rotation" option, in favor of just treating this option as always on. Specifically, custom lemming sprites will not only remain possible, but will actually have more flexibility and be simpler to use. :)

New file type for gstool? - Good god if that was the case, I'm so dead because I would have to update over 12 tilesets, and then some considering I've converted some tiles too

Make sure you're giving the pieces in your graphic sets names now. As long as you're doing that, converting to the new format will be a matter of a few clicks.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: My concerns regarding the new format
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:24:29 PM »
Thats good to hear, though...

I do have a suggestion for anytime a new major update is released

A FAQ to go along with it for anyone concerned