Author Topic: Allow designers to not have backgrounds in their own levels [SUGG.] [EDITOR]  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
I know there is already a topic on this, but it is also better if it is posted in the Suggestions topic.

I would like level designers the option to be allowed to not have any background in their levels if they do not want. I've made some levels which I'm uncomfortable having a background on because of its distraction and that it doesn't look good, and changing its primary set to something that has a black background is a kludgy workaround.

If also (e.g.) I made a level in the City tileset (which has a background), and change the primary graphic set to Dirt (which has a black background) and I want to add objects/terrain from the City tileset, it will be a slight hassle as when I open the object/terrain menu, it will show Dirt pieces, and I have to scroll through the graphic set menu to access the City pieces.

It will also be very beneficial to those who use the Style Counter, and they want to know exactly how many City/Biolab/Abstract/etc. levels they made without the need to change the level's primary set to a graphic set without a background.

I would really like this feature to be added to NeoLemmix. It will be very beneficial for a lot of level designers and will simplify things greatly.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
I'd like that feature too.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Implemented player-side support for the next update. Still need to implement editor support.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Nepster: When working with NXLV files, simply omitting the background line (or giving it an empty string as the value) will achieve no background.

For LVL files, the background index byte is set to FF to indicate no background (though you probably just need to recompile your command line convertor against the newest NL code rather than manually change anything).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Since I'm not further updating the current editor build, this will have to wait until new-formats goes mainstream. The new-formats levels have supported this for pretty much as long as any kind of new format for levels has existed, and I'm fairly sure Nepster's NLEditor already supports it too.

If you really want it on old formats levels, you can do it yourself with a hex editor: change the byte at offset 0x000B to FF. This won't show (or even be preserved) in the current editor, though, but will work once in-game.
My Lemmings projects