Author Topic: A few questions about making my own levels  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
A few questions about making my own levels
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
Hello everybody! I've recently downloaded NeoLemmix and I have to say, I'm loving it so far! I'm actually working on a custom levelpack with custom graphics.
I have two problems though and I wish to get answers to them. :laugh:

I've created custom traps and I noticed that you can change the sound effect to "Custom Sound 1-10". How do I actually manage these custom sound effects? I checked the FlexiToolkit but didn't find anything, or then I'm just blind. ;P
Then about the music itself:
Is it possible to assign a custom music to a level with the editor, or do I have to use the FlexiTool's "Edit Music Rotation" button when I'm compiling the levels to a pack? Wouldn't ssing a custom music roation would prevent me from using a specific music on a specific level? ???

Thanks you everyone, I'm having a blast with NeoLemmix and I can't wait to show you guys what I've created! :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: A few questions about making my own levels
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:19 PM »
You can specify music for individual levels, while still having a custom music rotation for the pack as a whole. This is done with the "special graphics" levels in the NL version of Original Lemmings, for instance.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
You can specify music for individual levels, while still having a custom music rotation for the pack as a whole. This is done with the "special graphics" levels in the NL version of Original Lemmings, for instance.
Ah, I get it, but how do I actually do it in the editor? I can't select anything but pre-existing music in the level properties.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
I've created custom traps and I noticed that you can change the sound effect to "Custom Sound 1-10". How do I actually manage these custom sound effects? I checked the FlexiToolkit but didn't find anything, or then I'm just blind. ;P

The FlexiToolKit has actually nothing to do with them. Simply click on tools bar in the GraphicSetTool and try place a mark on one of the checkboxes --- that will open a filebrowser for you that can place a selected sound to that slot ---  choose that sound for the trap/teleporter of your choice ----  save your tileset afterwards.
You simply then add your custom tileset to be integrated in your pack afterwards in the FlexiToolKit.

Then about the music itself:
Is it possible to assign a custom music to a level with the editor, or do I have to use the FlexiTool's "Edit Music Rotation" button when I'm compiling the levels to a pack? Wouldn't ssing a custom music roation would prevent me from using a specific music on a specific level? ???

In the level properties tab in the editor you can set a custom music track for the level of your choice (the tack name is currently limited to up to 16 signs). EDIT: Simply type in the name of the track into the box.

FlexiTool's "Edit Music Rotation" will be overwitten if a level as a specific track + the player has the track in his/her music folder. ----> Your chosen music rotation only plays if the levels have no specific track assigned or the user doesn't have your tracks in his/her folder.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks IchoTolot. :D

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
In the level properties tab in the editor you can set a custom music track for the level of your choice (the tack name is currently limited to up to 16 signs). EDIT: Simply type in the name of the track into the box.
Just one word of caution: Do not enter the file extension into the box, e.g. if the music file is called "MyMusic.mp3", just type "MyMusic" into the editor.
EDIT: IchoTolot told me, that my knowledge is outdated. :-[ The current version automatically strips the music name of its file extension, if you entered it with the file extension. So it simply doesn't matter now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:07:48 PM by Nepster »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies, I'm starting to get the hang of this. Only one more thing: When you IchoTolot talked about the "music folder" did you mean the music files packed in with the FlexiTool or should the editor have it's own folder for the musics in the same folder as the exe?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
The music folder of the player itself (NeoLemmix.exe). It simply called "music". If it's not existent as a subfolder it can also be manually created.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »
I didn't have a music folder, so that explains a lot. I'll make one then.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »
The user can either have the music file in the folder (usually done when providing a seperate download link for high-quality (and high filesize) OGG tracks, negating the need to redownload 100MB+ in some cases every time the pack is updated), or the music can be built into the NXP within Flexi Toolkit (usually done with relatively small file size musics, such as those in IT format).

Regarding whether or not to include the extension in the music rotation / editor: It won't do any harm, but there's no need to include it either. When trying to actually find the file, NeoLemmix first discards any extension that's present, then checks all supported extensions in a predetermined order (OGG is highest priority, I don't remember the rest of the order beyond that all waveform-based formats (WAV, AIF, MP3) have higher priority than all tracker formats (MOD, IT, XM, etc)).

One other thing with custom sound effects for graphic sets - only WAV is officially supported at this time (this will change in the future). Others should work if you select them anyway, though, as long as NeoLemmix supports those formats in general (so an OGG sound effect should work fine, but a MIDI one won't).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)