Author Topic: Default design for one-way arrows [DISCUSSION]  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Default design for one-way arrows [DISCUSSION]
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
In the new-filetype version, there will be a default style with objects that are used if a given style does not provide any object sprites of this kind itself. In this thread I want to discuss what sprite and animation to use as the default for one-way arrows. Note that this issue is completely independant of any custom designs, like the ones found in the Fire style or many of namida's LemPlus styles.

Currently the default one-way arrows are the ones found in the Pillar or Marble style, which wobble around like this:

These arrows look nice if they are used on large areas, but have problems if placed next to each other or when used in very small areas.

Therefore I propose to change the default one-way arrow to one moving continuously and slowly in one direction:

It's not (yet) as smooth as if could be, but it doesn't constantly catch the player's attention by a too wild movement while still being animated and signalling some special area.

I also experimented with some SEGA-style arrows:

They look a lot nicer than the bland arrows above, but have disadvantages: The movement is still too fast for my taste. And more importantly, they cannot be recolored automatically to adapt to a given style. The uniform color of the arrows above changes depending on the color theme used by the primary style of the level, while these arrows always keep their reddish hue.
According to namida, they may change their color depending on the color theme of the primary style used in the level (in the same way that the sprites above are able to). I just have to use different shades of gray instead of pure white in the sprite. I will have to experiment, whether this automatic recoloring produced good results and will post them here, once I finish my experiments.
I have created them by hand (not automatic recoloring!) in two more colors:

My suggestion would be to add all three SEGA-type arrows to the SEGA style, rather than to the default style.

I realize that none of the arrows above is perfect yet, so would like to hear about your preferences, ideas and wishes. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:37:00 PM by Nepster »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Default design for one-way arrows [DISCUSSION]
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
I did some more experiments with the SEGA-style arrows by using a gray-shaded version to be colored by the styles themselves. The results are somewhat encouraging - please see the attached screenshots for yourself.

Some comments:
- The off-white used for arrows in the Pillar style produces ugly, blurry gray arrows. So I committed heresy and changed the arrow color to a light blue x87CEFA.
- The yellow of the Dirt style did no longer have enough contrast to the terrain, because the gray-shading in the sprite darkened the arrow. So I adapted the color from xB0B000 to xD0D000.
- To showcase red arrows as well, I temporarily changed the Crystal style to use the new arrows. I do not propose to make this change automatically to all Crystal levels, especially as I am totally satisfied with the hue displayed on the screenshot.
- I also tried a version that gives the arrows more texture, i.e. more contrast between the hues within the arrow. While this improved the darker arrows, notably the red arrows in the Crystal style and the blue arrows in the Marble style, it produced "dirty" grayish colors when the base color was light (e.g. in the Dirt or Pillar style). As the default style should look good (or at least acceptable) for almost all base colors, I don't think we should use an arrow sprite with darker shades of gray.

The screenshots are made with these adapted colors.

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
I personally like the way the one-way arrows are now, with two exceptions. One are the one-way arrows that always move in one direction even if it is the opposite direction from the way the arrows are pointing (the Fire and Outdoor tilesets being the most blatant examples of this). The other issue is that the brick one-way arrows are white in NeoLemmix but gold in SuperLemmini. I think the gold arrows look much better and stand out more.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
I think I like the slow moving arrows best but I'd like to try them out.

I personally like the way the one-way arrows are now, with two exceptions. One are the one-way arrows that always move in one direction even if it is the opposite direction from the way the arrows are pointing (the Fire and Outdoor tilesets being the most blatant examples of this). The other issue is that the brick one-way arrows are white in NeoLemmix but gold in SuperLemmini. I think the gold arrows look much better and stand out more.

I agree with this, but hasn't the first issue already been fixed? Yes it's already been fixed; at least in the fire set.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
I assume this is in regards to defaults, but I feel obligated to mention that I oppose changing the arrows in existing sets unless there's something obviously wrong with them (i.e. the arrows in the fire set moving the opposite direction from what makes visual sense).

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
something obviously wrong

They distract some players, they don't distract others. But I don't dare judging whether this makes the old arrows obviously wrong. :evil: Lovely design problem, I want to see what happens. It would be the first outright change to how L1 sets look. NL usually sets in stone the old looks, then designs around it.

I have a soft spot for uniform motion. The wall doesn't require constant attention, only a gentle reminder. The jumping arrows are more exciting, I can live with either.

In all designs so far, there exist pixels that never get colored. There is an entire untouched row between the moving arrows. Irks me in theroy, but probably OK in practice.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies and opinions :thumbsup:, and sorry for not replying earlier.

In the hope to receive a bit more feedback, I put together a test pack with four levels, each of them in three versions: One with the usual L1 arrows, one with the slowly moving arrows and one with the SEGA-type arrows.

I assume this is in regards to defaults, but I feel obligated to mention that I oppose changing the arrows in existing sets unless there's something obviously wrong with them (i.e. the arrows in the fire set moving the opposite direction from what makes visual sense).
Noted, but what type of arrow would you use in case you make a level in a style that does not have any one-way arrows itself?

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
I noticed that the default arrows are not in sync too when I made my tilesets, so I fixed them. I personally like the punchy look of the L1 arrows better, but the slowly moving one doesn't look bad eithher.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
I prefer the original arrows tbh, the wobble has a certain charm to it. Maybe another option is to change the way the arrows look in clear physics mode? Either way the thirds set was way to slow though it felt like I was lagging so if we do move to change them I would prefer 2 over 3.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:00:30 AM »
A single, consistent design for them in CPM is probably not a bad idea.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »
While it might be samey to an extent, its rather pleasant to the eyes :thumbsup: