Author Topic: Hololems  (Read 2107 times)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Hololems
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
I thought this was a joke but actually it's real. Lemmings on the Hololens.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/play-updated-90s-classic-lemmings-virtually-in-hololems-for-microsoft-hololens/amp

I guess we finally got a Lemmings 3D sequel, sort of.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Hololems
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:26 PM »
Wow, impressive. I used to imagine this very thing when I was young! This is cool in theory and for show but as an actual game, not so much; at least imo. It reminds me of 3D movies; a cool attraction but nothing more.

It seems like quite a few groups now have take a liking to using Lemmings as a sort of test for new technology and new directions, or as a sort of mascot. But no one in recent years is really taking it seriously as a hardcore puzzle game. "No one" meaning gaming companies that is.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
It's a fun demo (and not bad as a pun I guess ;P), but conceptually if they are using your real-life furniture as the terrain, then you are fundamentally limited in that you can't really implement destructive terrain skills in such an environment, which is like half the game.  This may work better in full virtual reality instead.  Of course, then it's not really all that different from regular Lemmings 3D on a regular computer.  I'm not sure that full environmental immersion would add much to a game like Lemmings even for a 3D version.  Although maybe it could be slightly beneficial when it comes to level creation/editing of a 3D level?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:23:38 PM »
I think I'd be willing to wager significant money at this point; that absolutely little or nothing will come out of this. Lemmings seems to keep popping up again and again in the mainstream gaming culture but it never goes anywhere.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
I have idea how this terrain destruction problem can be solved. Instead of that useless holo-thing Lemmings we need Robo-Lemmings. Horde of Lemmings robots able to destruct furniture in the room. Of course, that will be very expensive, but certainly also very funny to play.