Author Topic: [Bug] Inexplicably Strange Behavior Playing Replay After Restarting Level  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Playing the Lemmings Redux pack currently on the experimental since a feature I use a lot in stable is bugged and doesn't work.

Found this... interesting bug on Lemmings in the Attic after accidentally splatting a lemming and trying to start over.

Upon pressing the hotkey to restart the level:

- Sometimes the replay fails to play at all.
 - Sometimes the replay plays some, but not all of the skill assignments back
 - Sometimes it works normally
 - Bringing up the edit replay menu sets the game state to where it should be in the replay.

I haven't been able to reliably predict which behavior will occur, but there seems to be a decent spread.
My setup was, during replication tests, to assign climbers and floaters to lemmings 2, 3, 4, and 5 for crowd control purposes, and a builder to lemming 1 when it reaches the gap (counting the first lemming as 1, in case the game considers the first lemming to be 0).
'
EDIT: Upon further testing the only thing I've really noticed is that it seems most likely that, if you play a level, perform a few skills, then restart, repeatedly, allowing the replay to play through, the most likely result, starting on the second attempt, is whatever happened on the previous attempt, though the other alternatives can certainly still occur. But whenever I think I figured out how to influence the result I usually end up being wrong. For example, I was able to cancel it at one point by pausing the game, but this didn't end up being a consistent way to replicate this bug, and it can happen without any pausing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:59:19 AM by Dullstar »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I can confirm this bug.

As I retested my replays due to the receiver change, a few times after I loaded in my replay and tried to skip through it I noticed that it went wrong mid replay and after retrying it, it was alright.

(Happens on latest exp version)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I noticed this too while playing NepsterLems earlier today. Haven't looked into it yet but something like this is pretty high priority.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This occurs even if you just load and want to skip through without interferring. In one case it was nearly impossible for a replay to be replayed correctly.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I'm looking into this one now. Since this one is particularly major, I'll release an updated exp as soon as I've got it fixed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay, so here's the findings. What was going on wasn't anything to do with restarts at all, it just showed up a lot more often when restarting.

The actual cause was, no assignments to lemmings were working when the cursor was over the skill panel - even if it was an assignment in the replay, it would fail. This was an unintended side effect of a fix to another bug, which caused lemmings to sometimes be shown in the "selected" colors and/or have a skill shadow drawn while the mouse was on the panel.

I've made an experimental release that has a quick and kludgy fix for this. A better fix is needed, but this at least prevents the bug from occuring.
My Lemmings projects