Poll

The Rating for this set has been Chosen, Poll is now CLOSED!

Risk (no votes)
0 (0%)
Sacrifice + Micro Machines Special Level
5 (100%)
Small Collab (no votes)
0 (0%)
Big Collab (no votes)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 01, 2017, 07:46:22 PM

Author Topic: Prince Jamie's Super Challenge Pack Set 3 Discussion  (Read 19091 times)

Offline Prince Jamie

• Fan of Lemmings since 1995
    • View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
Re: Prince Jamie's Super Challenge Pack Set 3 Discussion + Rating Vote
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 05:13:34 AM »
This is a short version on how Set 3 is looking, in case you weren't keeping track, or you just viewed this recently:

The Poll vote will determine what Rating will be decided for Set 3, voting closes March 1st 2017

Illusion Tileset along with a Trap for it:

There will be 2 Special Levels this time instead of 1; 1 is determined by the final results on the Poll, the other will be an internet meme: Grumpy Cat

Note:
I have great news: I'M FEELING INSPIRED!! That's right, I'll be able to get Set 3 finished sooner than I thought, because I've been feeling bummed about the levels I've been making recently, so I took a look at some of my old Lemmini level videos I made back between 2008-2014 and I had quite a taste for good level designs back then and none of them have appeared in any of my previous 2 Sets. Some of them had hidden traps, but I'll make sure you can see them when I make them for this set(I am aware that some of the traps such as the falling rock for Dirt is SUPPOSE to be hidden, but I don't want it to be unfairly hidden, like in Oh No! More Lemmings).
I have a Skype account. If you wish to add me, Message me

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »
Hidden traps really are a touchy subject. Oh No More Lemmings has some good examples of hidden traps that are just irritating, like that one near the end of Lemming Hotel which was basically just a forced restart back in the day. I'm ok with a trap being totally hidden as long as there's some kind of indication that it's there, like terrain that seems out of place or it blocking off a path that seems too easy. I built a level today with a hidden trap that has both of those tip-offs.

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
Poll Results so far, Week 2:

Risk: 0 Votes
Sacrifice: 5 Votes
Small Collab: 0 Votes
Big Collab: 0 Votes

The voting is still the same to last week: No change. Since it doesn't look like I'll be getting anymore votes anytime soon, shall I end the poll right away and choose "Sacrifice" as the decider or shall I give it 3 more weeks? Reply with your response when you can, thanks :D

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
It's a small forum. A 5-0 lead isn't going to get overturned.

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
I was going to upload a video of my "Illusion" tileset in action so you can see how it's turning out, but it failed. I will try again another time, but here is a preview of the level from the video, on how it is coming along:

The 1 big change I've done is change the trigger area size of the Terrormisu trap; it's much easier to avoid her now. There's a few things I need to do before this tileset is complete, then I can move on to the "Flash" Tileset.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »
Forget the question of "what is the window, what is the exit"... the bigger question I see here, "what is terrain? what is background?".

Backgrounds can be a nice touch, but they need to be very distinguishable from actual terrain. The usual method is to make them very dark relative to the terrain; take a look at the LPIV / LPV tilesets or the remastered Brick and Bubble tilesets for examples. One other method sometimes seen is to have a very strong color difference between any background and any terrain. And once again, this is even more true on SuperLemmini which does not provide features like instant rewind or clear physics mode.

Remember, simply by choosing SuperLemmini rather than either NeoLemmix or Lix, you've already greatly reduced the audience for your pack. Surely you don't want to reduce it even further by making your levels more frustrating than fun?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:35:26 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
Surely you don't want to reduce it even further by making your levels more frustrating than fun?

I'm trying my very best to make my levels challenging, fun and trying to prevent frustration. I've already made the first 4 levels on Set 3 and they are looking like good fun challenges so far, you'll see what I mean when I release Set 3 later on. Let's not forget there will be 2 special levels and you know how fun Special levels are. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with this Set :thumbsup:

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
Forget the question of "what is the window, what is the exit"... the bigger question I see here, "what is terrain? what is background?".

Backgrounds can be a nice touch, but they need to be very distinguishable from actual terrain. The usual method is to make them very dark relative to the terrain; take a look at the LPIV / LPV tilesets or the remastered Brick and Bubble tilesets for examples. And once again, this is even more true on SuperLemmini which does not provide features like instant rewind or clear physics mode.

Remember, simply by choosing SuperLemmini rather than either NeoLemmix or Lix, you've already greatly reduced the audience for your pack. Surely you don't want to reduce it even further by making your levels more frustrating than fun?

I'm trying my very best to make my levels challenging, fun and trying to prevent frustration. I've already made the first 4 levels on Set 3 and they are looking like good fun challenges so far, you'll see what I mean when I release Set 3 later on.

The "Illusion" tileset is still in a "WIP" stage, but thanks for your opinion on "what is terrain? what is background?", I'm going to be stripping the trees in the background and keep just the sky to make it much easier.

Let's not forget there will be 2 special levels and you know how fun Special levels are. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with this Set :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
The sky alone should be distinguishable enough from terrain. This is a great improvement. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
The sky alone should be distinguishable enough from terrain. This is a great improvement. :)

Update: Here is the Level again and following namida's advice about removing the trees in the background:

I can agree that it looks much better this way, what do you think(the original is a few posts up)?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »
Much better! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 11:15:31 PM »
Oh cool that looks like a level from the sonic and knuckles collection.

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 06:39:51 AM »
Oh cool that looks like a level from the sonic and knuckles collection.

Technically, this Tileset was inspired by "Alice in Wonderland/Alice through the Looking Glass" and all I could find for Forests and Mushrooms on Spriters Resource was:
New Super Mario Bros. (flowers and mushrooms)
Sonic & Knuckles (mushrooms, vines and terrain)
I left the terrain from New Super Mario Bros. how it was and did recolour from Sonic & Knuckles to make it look more "colourful".

I was going to remake Allegia Gardens from Wario Master of Disguise, but I couldn't find anything and went for those instead.

Note: Set 3 will not be out by the end of the month, as I can only do 14/15 levels at max. The reason for this is that the poll result to decide the rating won't end until March 1st, as the chosen rating also tells which special level will be in it, but if you want me to end it, since the poll results are the same to last week, let me know(this will also remove this topic completely).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 01:42:44 AM »
Three months is quite a long time to run a poll for on here. Even the voteoffs for the Level Of The Year contests, each round's voting is only open for three days (except the very final round which runs for four days); and the majority of votes occur on the first day of each round. Your call, of course, but I wouldn't expect the results to change much by the end from where they are now, especially given that *every* vote so far has been for the same option.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prince Jamie

• View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
Hello, I'm just letting you know that I'm closing the Poll vote tomorrow, the results have remained unchanged for the past week and it looks like they'll be staying this way, but the results are as follows:
0 on "Risk" Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 Special Level Included
5 on "Sacrifice" Micro Machines Special Level Included
0 on "Small Collab" Sonic The Hedgehog Special Level Included
0 on "Big Collab" Pac-Man Special Level Included
Voting has been locked, as all results are now final

So the decided Rating is "Sacrifice" along with "Micro Machines" as 1 of the 2 Special Levels(the other is going to be Grumpy Cat).

This topic WILL be deleted, but a new one will be listed, entitled: "Prince Jamie's Super Challenge Pack Set 3 Discussion" where from there, like Set 2, I'll be releasing a Set 3 Demo, which contains 2 of the 15 levels that may appear or change slightly in Set 3.
Hint: You don't need any extra Tilesets for the Demo