Author Topic: Level of the Year 2016 - Discussion  (Read 2649 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Level of the Year 2016 - Discussion
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
So, we're getting close to the end of the year now, so I figure it's time to start discussing LOTY2016.

For those who weren't here or didn't pay attention to it - last year, at the end of the year we had a special "Level of the Year" contest, which rather than requiring a level to be made specifically for the contest, instead levels that were released during the year (technically, from December 2014 through to November 2015) were nominated for the contest; the prizes were also a bit bigger than normal.

I'd like to do that again this year, but before that, I'd like to offer a chance to give input into how it was run. What did or didn't you like about last year's format? Any changes you'd like to see? Etc.

One thing that was confusing during the previous contest was the exact eligibility rules. The rule was that the level itself, in its exact form, had to have had its initial release during the eligible time period. This could mean that different levels within a pack could have differing eligiblity, depending on whether it was re-used from elsewhere, or possibly even released in a demo prior to December 2014 even if the full pack was released afterwards. There was also initially a rule that a level that won a regular contest couldn't be nominated; only for this to later change and instead such levels got automatic nomination - one level that got in on such a nomination ended up getting 3rd place.

Thus, I'd like to simplify the rules this time. Ideally, I'd still like to lock out levels that have been around for a long time and got reused; but not lock out levels that were only released in demos. My first thought thus is to retain the 2015 rules, but with a special case: "Levels that are released as part of a demo (or single-level) previews for a larger pack do not affect the level's eligibility." The flipside to this would be - intentionally - that a demo released in 2016, but with the full pack not coming until 2017, would not be eligible (but would then be eligible for LOTY2017). There'd also be one specific exception - levels that were nominated for LOTY2015 can't be nominated again, if there are any that would be eligible again otherwise.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2016 - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »
Do we really need to define precisely how to handle demo levels, especially as this rule may change from year to year as this thread shows? I propose to have only the following two hard rules:
- A nominee may not have appeared in an officially released level pack prior to [current date - 1 year].
- No level may be nominated for more than one LOTY contest.
Then allow level designers to veto nominations of their own levels. This is intended for the case when a demo level gets nominated, but the level designer feels that it should only be nominated once the whole level pack is finished, or that the level is still in the testing phase (like my "Return of the Tribes" levels).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:32:18 AM »
That sounds fine to me. For what it's worth, level designers were already allowed to veto nominations of their levels (for whatever reason they like, or even for no reason at all). Perhaps the one change to your idea, would be specifically contacting them in regards to demo levels that get nominated, to make sure they're aware of this option. This wouldn't be actually changing the rules in any way as such; just making an extra effort to make sure level designers know they can do this with levels from demos.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
Okay so, everyone how's this:

A level is eligible if:
- It was released publicly for NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini or Lix in some form during the period of December 2015 to November 2016
- It was not in a pack that was officially, publicly released prior to December 2015 (demos do not count; but levels from earlier packs being reused in newer ones do count)
- It was not nominated for LOTY2015
- The level author has not specifically requested that it be excluded

Additionally:
- Any levels that won one of the contests during the eligible period get automatic nomination, unless the creator vetoes their entry
- An author may veto (whether pre-emptively or after the fact) the nomination of any of their levels for any reason (or no reason at all), and do not have to state why

Any further input to this, or does this sound alright?

In regards to prizes, last year there was cash prizes only. Does anyone have any further thoughts on prizes for LOTY2016? I have a spare copy of the Clickteam Humble Bundle (the full package version) which I plan to offer as a prize.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
So how are levels submitted for nomination for this contest?
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 10:48:55 PM »
Submissions will be via PM, but that's not open yet. Just discussion of it at this stage.
My Lemmings projects