Author Topic: [PLAYER] Reduce intensity of colors in Psychedelic set.  (Read 3145 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[PLAYER] Reduce intensity of colors in Psychedelic set.
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
Some people have complained about the Psychedelic set being too harsh on the eyes. So, I decided to make some changes to make it a bit more tolerable.

Latest experimental includes these changes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1r8mdzkyml7y5l/NeoLemmix.exe?dl=1

Thoughts?

(Note: This experimental will not play VGASPEC levels. Even the presence of them may cause issues, depending on how recent the version of Flexi the NXP was made with is - if it's very recent, there should only be issues when actually trying to play VGASPEC levels.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: [PLAYER] Reduce intensity of colors in Psychedelic set.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »
Hmm...I don't notice any differences; it looks the same as the previous version.

What changes have you made for the new version of the Psychedelic tileset?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:50:37 AM »
The colors are slightly dimmed, and the exit flashes less intensely (the color shift is now over 12 frames rather than 6).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:02:19 AM »
This is what comes up for me in my player; it's the same as the upper picture in your post. The exit still flashes 6 frames.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:06:21 AM »
Do you have a copy of the old version in the "styles" subfolder?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:14:20 AM »
Yep. I took it out of the styles subfolder, and now it's doing what you've described! :)

The darker colors are indeed more easy on the eyes, and the exit is an improvement over the previous one.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:49:14 AM »
If you wanted a copy of the modified version (eg. to use with the editor), here you go.

Note that you can't override the standard version on V1.47n (including -B and -C), as due to a bug, it gives higher priority to the built-in copy than to the one in the "styles" folder. (This experimental corrects that; the one in the "styles" folder has priority.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:27 PM »
I was somewhat considering making this version an alternative one, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather have only one version. So I'll probably make this standard. I doubt too many people will complain, unless their intent was to make levels that are hard... to look at. :P

There's no compatibility issues between the original set and the modified version, as all changes are purely graphical.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
I made some more drastic changes to the water, one-way arrows and one-way fields, as one user mentioned that these objects were the biggest issue for them. Use this copy (place it in the game and/or editor's "styles" folder) to see the new changes. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
If anyone can think of any other graphical changes that should be made (in any default set), let me know. I'll probably avoid functional changes for this update, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
If you'd like to get a decent look at the new version of the Psychedelic set, but don't want to try experimental player versions (the latest of which includes the modified Psychedelic set), check the Lemmings Plus II and Lemmings Plus Omega level images on the NeoLemmix website. I've already updated them to use the new version of the set.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
The set is indeed a major improvement over the previous. While I will admittedly miss the white flashing one-way arrows, the new ones work just as fine. I also wanted the one-way fields to be changed but wasn't sure how to describe how they should be changed.

Thanks for improving this graphic set! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:08:06 PM by Wafflem »