Author Topic: White screen on some Test Modes [BUG] [EDITOR & EXP-PLAYER]  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
White screen on some Test Modes [BUG] [EDITOR & EXP-PLAYER]
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:49:54 AM »
Editor: v1.47n
Experimental Player: V1.47-D:FC73BC8

Open a level. Go to option and set Test Mode to either "Postview only", "No Splashscreens" or "None+Autosave Replay".

Then open up test mode for the level. You will see a white screen in front of you in the level area instead (picture below), and every lemming that comes out will die immediately (with screaming sound).

This bug does not occur on "Preview + Postview" mode.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: White screen on some Test Modes [BUG] [EDITOR & EXP-PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:22:38 PM »
Before I fix this, how many people:
a) use these alternate settings
and
b) would be bothered if they were removed?

I ask this because a discussion came up the other day as to whether they were nessecary; my response was "well, they aren't causing problems, so no need to change anything". Now they are, so I only want to fix this if these options are actually being used.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:19 AM »
Before I fix this, how many people:
a) use these alternate settings
and
b) would be bothered if they were removed?

I ask this because a discussion came up the other day as to whether they were nessecary; my response was "well, they aren't causing problems, so no need to change anything". Now they are, so I only want to fix this if these options are actually being used.

I personally have mine on Preview + Postview. I believe that is the default.
I don't think there's any reason to keep them around, but Autosave Replay should be kept as a separate setting if it all possible.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:58:07 AM »
I don't think there's any reason to keep them around, but Autosave Replay should be kept as a separate setting if it all possible.

The game's usual "auto save successful replays" option is still applied, as long as the postview screen gets displayed. The option here differs in that it always saves a replay, even if unsuccessful (and is applied despite the lack of postview screen).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:06:06 AM »

The game's usual "auto save successful replays" option is still applied, as long as the postview screen gets displayed. The option here differs in that it always saves a replay, even if unsuccessful (and is applied despite the lack of postview screen).

Ah.
In that case I see no reason to keep the options if they're causing issues.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:08:56 AM »
I know that some users do like things to be as efficient and quick as possible - this is why these options were introduced in the first place. However, I don't know if anyone still uses them; if not, I'll probably remove them (at least for now).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
I don't use the alternative test options, it's always useful for me to know what the stats are in the preview screen and if I need to make a quick fix if a stat looks incorrect. I also find it very useful to find out if I succeeded or failed a level.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
Seems there isn't much demand for these options. So, I'll remove them before any update.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
I've removed the option from the editor. Just in case demand suddenly arises later, I haven't removed the options from the player (but haven't fixed them either), so I can easily re-add support later if needed (well, "easily" not including the fixing part).

If there's still no sign of demand for it, I'll probably remove the player-side code too eventually.
My Lemmings projects