Author Topic: New project: Lemmings Plus Twists  (Read 2826 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
New project: Lemmings Plus Twists
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
This pack is on hold indefinitely and may end up being cancelled altogether. The topic is closed until if/when I decide to resume it.

I've mentioned it around the place a couple of times, but I feel it's time for an official announcement of the latest Lemmings Plus side project, Lemmings Plus Twists!

So, what is Lemmings Plus Twists? Well, you might remember the old Lemmings Plus II and Lemmings Plus III bonus packs - these contained many levels focusing on the gimmicks used in the corresponding main games. Of course, NeoLemmix doesn't have gimmicks anymore... but that's not the only thing the bonus packs contained. They also contained several levels which were repeats of levels in the main games - harder repeats, and in the case of the LPIII Bonus Pack, easier repeats. This is what Lemmings Plus Twists is going to focus on - re-using Lemmings Plus levels to provide new challenges.

We aren't going to be seeing any of the easier repeats like LPIII Bonus Pack's "Breather" rank had. Rather, there are going to be two main kind of repeats focused on here:

1. General harder repeats of levels
Here, we'll see repeats of some of the easier levels in Lemmings Plus II and Lemmings Plus III. The repeats that were in the former bonus packs, and haven't been integrated into the main games, will come up here. Note that in particular, these repeats will stick to the traditional 8 skills.

2. Repeats using the new skills
This one will look at these levels from a different angle - repeats of levels from Lemmings Plus I, II and III, also making use of the new NeoLemmix skills. These may not nessecerially always be harder, just different (of course, some will indeed be harder).

3. Unusual level concepts (note: I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to do this one)
Remember the unique kinds of levels that pop up from time to time in the Lemmings Plus packs - one particularly notable example being Lemmings Plus Omega's Perplexing 30, "Drop Them Lems"? I haven't decided for sure, but I'm considering also doing a rank of these kind of levels - brand new ones!

4. A bonus rank
This will be for levels from the former bonus packs that don't fit any of the above categories, but are completely compatible with new NeoLemmix versions. Or in other words, pretty much just "Gotcha Again" and "The Strange Construct" from the old LPIII Bonus Pack.

I'm not setting a specific target for how many levels this will contain. Rather, it'll be based on how many I can come up with good ideas from. This pack won't be using any content from Lemmings Plus IV or Lemmings Plus V, but I might consider using some Lemmings Plus Omega content.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:05:30 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: New project: Lemmings Plus Twists
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
I like this project if you're planning to go ahead with it. If you're short of thinking of level ideas then I don't mind helping out. I might struggle to create any "Unusual level concepts" though but I like the concept of "Repeats using the new skills".
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New project: Lemmings Plus Twists
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
I just made the first repeat level that uses NeoLemmix skills. This one is a repeat of Cheeky 19 "The Road To Nowhere" - this is a level many people commented they were surprised that the old Lemmings Plus II Bonus Pack didn't contain a repeat of. Surprisingly, of all the NeoLemmix skills, the Stacker turned out to be the key skill to coming up with a clever repeat for this level.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)