Author Topic: Access violation when pressing reset hotkey [BUG] [PLAYER]  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Access violation when pressing reset hotkey [BUG] [PLAYER]
« on: September 18, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
For some reason, I get an access violation when pressing the reset hotkey while playing a level. I wonder if it has to do with hovering the cursor over the trapdoor, then pressing the reset hotkey (I could be wrong, though).
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Access violation when pressing reset hotkey [BUG] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:40:29 AM »
Got another access violation. This time, it won't let me reset the level at all, and even when I click "OK" the error still stays. Had no choice but to use Windows Task Manager to close NeoLemmix.

(decided to show just the dialog box this time, as I don't want to spoil the level I used when this glitch happened).

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:42:12 AM »
Flopsy apparently caught a case of this on video. I'm waiting for his video to upload to see if I can pick up on any more-specific details that might help track down why this happens, or at least how to consistenly reproduce it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:44:04 AM »
I am also getting access violations like this.  So far it has happened to me when I use a bomber or nuke in my current redux pack.  However, exploding lemmings work when I try LP1.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »
I tried to replicate such an error, but for me everything runs fine. In fact I never got such an error since the new version.

This sounds like a very slippery problem :P   Maybe it's bound to happen on certain level types ???

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 06:58:29 PM »
I've noticed it myself, so it's definitely a real error.

Just in case - to those who are getting it, can you confirm exactly what version of NeoLemmix you have? (ie: V1.47n? V1.47n-B? V1.47n-C? Has it happened on more than one?)

In fact, it'd be cool if those who aren't getting it let me know too - for example, if everyone using V1.47n-C reports it, but a few people who are still on -B never do, that'd suggest something that changed between the two is causing it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »
I'm running on v1.47-C. This is the first time that this issue has happened to me in this version.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Here is a way to reliably reproduce the bug in V1.47A, B and C:
1) Start the level
2) Let it run for at least 10 seconds
3) Move the cursor over a single lemming
4) Advance one frame via a hotkey
5) Move the cursor slightly
6) Go back one frame
7) Move the cursor slightly
8) Restart the level via a hotkey
During 3)-8) the cursor must never leave the lemming.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 02:39:15 AM »
By doing this, I get weird effects, not nessecerially always the exception. Some other effects I've seen:

- A red-colored lemming appears in the top-left corner
- A "list index out of bounds" error; clicking OK on this one does not cause any kind of crash (the game will resume normally afterwards)
- A "ghost shadow"; ie: a shadow remains but there is no lemming projecting it

I haven't been able to actually reproduce the access violation with these steps, nor does Flopsy's video show exactly those steps. Pressing restart /while/ moving the cursor over a lemming, after at least 10 seconds have passed (suggesting it may relate somewhat to the saved states in memory) often triggers an unescapeable error; sometimes it's List Index Out Of Bounds rather than access violation. Holding the escape key will sometimes get out of this one, presumably because it triggers exiting the level before the next error message can pop up.

The common thread in all cases, nonetheless, seems to be that the cursor must at least be on a lemming when the restart key is hit, and possibly even moving. So the suggested workaround until I can figure out and fix this is to always make sure the cursor is not on a lemming before hitting restart.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:15:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 05:10:49 AM »
As mentioned in the main V1.47n topic, I've uploaded a V1.47n-C2 update that, while not fixing the bug, attempts to log more details when the bug does happen. (It also saves a replay, to minimize the risk of lost progress.)

If you get this bug, can you please copy and paste the contents of the generated "NeoLemmixException.txt" file here? So far, in all cases where I've been able to trigger it the suspicious part is "  fRenderInterface.SelectedLemming: Exception on access attempt", but just in case anything's different in other cases, I'd like the full contents please. If you really want to, you can edit out the time it occurred.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
In addition to the V1.47n-C2 release that should log any problems, here's an experimental release (1.47n-D:FC73BC8) that should fix the problem altogether. Some minor graphical glitches may still occur under the conditions that would trigger this, but crashes should not.

Unlike V1.47n-C2, this also includes other pending changes so far for V1.47n-D / V1.48n (such as the desync-proofing and extra object helper icons).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1r8mdzkyml7y5l/NeoLemmix.exe?dl=1
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
Has anyone encountered this issue (as in actual crashes, not just minor graphical glitches under the conditions that previously caused crashes) on any experimental labelled V1.47n-D or V1.48n?

If not, we can probably consider this issue fixed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 12:35:52 PM »
I'm going to assume this is fixed and close this topic now, since no one's reporting this issue on V1.47n-D or the V1.48n experimentals.

If it does arise again, feel free to start a new topic (or unlock this one, if the person encountering it has that ability).
My Lemmings projects