Author Topic: Object markers when cursor hovered over [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Object markers when cursor hovered over [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
In addition to appearance only in clear physics mode, I have implemented the following changes:
- New object markers for buttons ("BUTTON"), force fields ("FORCE" together with either a left or right arrow), splat pads ("SPLAT"), anti-splat pads ("SPLAT", but crossed out)
- Continuous traps read now "FIRE", single-use traps read "1TRAP" and usual triggered traps have an infinity symbol in front of "TRAP".
- I removed the object marker for disabled traps, because spent single-use traps and disabled traps aren't displayed in clear physics mode. Displaying an object marker for an invisible object felt weird.
- All object markers are now colored red, because this way they are well-readable even on the gray terrain in the clear physics mode.
- If an object marker would appear above the top edge of the level, it will be displayed below the object instead.
- The cursor position check does now align precisely with the object boundaries. Previously it was a few pixels off.

Comments? Suggestions? Rants?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »
Sounds good. I wonder if there should be one for water though, since there is some degree of variety in water's appearance - not to mention that some sets have water-like objects that are actually fire (Lab comes to mind here).

Updrafts probably don't need it, as the appearance of those is very standardized at least so far.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 04:11:03 PM »
(This post originally had its own topic, but forgot that it would make more sense if I posted it here).

It would also be nice to know the direction a blocker is facing when you hover over it in Clear Physics mode, much like how when you hover over a trapdoor it shows you which direction the lemmings are coming out.

This will especially be very useful in levels that use pre-placed blockers.

EDIT: Looking at the nx_sketches.dat, it will also be useful to show the blocker field in Clear Physics Mode.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:13:22 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
Added markers for water: "WATER".

Added markers for blockers: The directional arrows get displayed in ClearPhysics mode when selecting the blocker with the cursor. Contrary to objects, just hovering over the blocker while another lemming has the focus does not suffice to display the marker.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »
Sounds good. The results could be misleading otherwise, since other lemming-specific features (such as shadows) only appear for the "selected" lemming, not all lemmings under the cursor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)