Author Topic: [BUG] "Deep Freeze": Special window ordering creates infinite loop  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
NOTE: Player bug is fixed. An editor bug uncovered in this topic still remains.

I decided to see how my level "Deep Freeze" performs in the experimental 1.47n version of NeoLemmix, and the program crashes when it tries to load the level file - blank screen and then it ghosts as Windows realises the program isn't responding.  The level loads fine in v1.43n-F, and it's just a Crystal-style level with no special features as far as I know.  Find attached said level.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:12:15 PM by namida »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] Unexplained crash when loading "Deep Freeze"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
The problem is with the special hatch order that can be set via the Window Ordering menu in the editor: You have set a custom hatch ordering of "0-1-2-1" (as the respective index of the hatch). Somehow the experimental version cannot properly read this and only understands that you want a cycle of length 4 for the hatches. So it looks for a fourth hatch, instead of recognizing the hatch with index 1 as the fourth hatch, resulting in an infinite loop :-\.

So for now the way to deal with this problem is: If you want a hatch cycle of length n, then add hatches, so that there are n of it. To be sure, change as well the hatch odering in the Window Ordering menu to index "0-1-2-...-(n-1)". Then it should load in the experimental version as well.

Attached a version of "Deep Freeze" with the fixes I described above.

PS: I took the liberty to change the thread title to something more descriptive, now that the reason for the bug is known.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG] "Deep Freeze": Special window ordering creates infinite loop
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
So for now the way to deal with this problem is: If you want a hatch cycle of length n, then add hatches, so that there are n of it. To be sure, change as well the hatch odering in the Window Ordering menu to index "0-1-2-...-(n-1)". Then it should load in the experimental version as well.

If you are doing this, the ordering in Window Ordering should simply be empty.

In regards to the bug itself, I'll look into this next time I'm working on NL's code (it's not likely I'll do much coding over the weekends these days, so most likely this will be on Monday).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:01:03 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:10 AM »
If you are doing this, the ordering in Window Ordering should simply be empty.
I tried this, but couldn't manage to delete the last entry in the Window Ordering menu in the editor. So I considered my previous advice the safer option.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:36:25 AM »
I tried this, but couldn't manage to delete the last entry in the Window Ordering menu in the editor. So I considered my previous advice the safer option.

This part is an editor bug, then.

I assume you haven't done anything about this in NL's code yet? If so, I'll look into both this and the editor issues sometime this week. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:32:40 AM »
Fixed the player issue for the next update.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:16:53 AM »
Just uploaded editor experimental V1.47n:96C2ADE. This should fix the issues with window order editing.
My Lemmings projects