Author Topic: How are your friends? Quizmaster game!  (Read 15450 times)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
Re: How are your friends? Quizmaster game!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »
Age of Empires and IWBTG? Who put those games up? :D

It's funny, those were the two I was thinking were strange as well.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »

I guess if you aren't super familiar with the chat that's to be expected but they don't seem strange to me ;)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »

I guess if you aren't super familiar with the chat that's to be expected but they don't seem strange to me ;)

I've seen them pop up on IRC a bunch. They just stood out to me as different from the rest, somehow! Not really sure why.:lix-unsure:

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 02:24:44 AM »
Solutions. Format: answer = subject. I didn't write into this file (who wrote what answer), except when the answerer made a comment.

IchoTolot sent lovely explanations with his submissions, and I should post them, along with notes from other PMs.

1. Who likes this level best?

Quote: "That's a good level" = Insane Steve
No Added Colors Or Lemmings = IchoTolot, namida, Akseli (namida wrote: (a) an unofficial game is likely to get less answers and (b) this is the most popular level in the well-known official games. Nepster wrote: According to a comment on the L1-vote-offs)
It's Hero Time = mobius
Odyssey (Space 8 from L2) = ccexplore (geoo wrote: Immediately go back to fanning)
Rendezvous at the Mountain = Proxima
Mine the Step = Nepster
There's Madness to the Method = geoo (Steve wrote: I half think the right answer is my level "The Mon0lith," but that may have changed as there's been a ton of good levels. I'll stick to the official games.)

2. Who likes this tileset?

Dune = IchoTolot
Fire = Nepster (namida wrote: because of the interesting designs I've seen him do with it.)
Crystal = Akseli, mobius (Steve wrote: The levels mobius has made I remember tend to use this more often than not?)
Marble = Proxima, namida (geoo wrote: I think Fire is high up on Proxima's list as well?)
Brick = ccexplore
Dirt = Insane Steve
Lix-Shadow = geoo (Nepster wrote: occurs most often in geoo's levels in the lemforum pack)

3. Who loves to eat this?

Galaxy chocolate bars = Nepster
Pizza = Insane Steve
Couscous-Sucuc = geoo
Clam chowder = namida
Porcupine = ccexplore
Fish and chips = Proxima
Leek = IchoTolot (ccexplore wrote: Upon further reflection, in the spirit of "leek" I'd like to submit these answers instead)
Wurst = Akseli (Steve wrote: This feels like an in joke that I've missed, I'll just say wurst because I don't know haha)
Cheeseburger = mobius (Nepster wrote: popular in the US)

4. Who do you associate with this L2 skill?

Ballooner = ccexplore
Platformer = Proxima
Stomper = Insane Steve (IchoTolot wrote: because the face he makes on the skill panel looks a bit insane as well :P)
Super Lem = Akseli (geoo wrote: obviously)
Attractor = geoo
Magno Booter = mobius
Diver = namida
Sand Pourer = Nepster (Steve wrote: feels right as more of a "hole fixing" task than a raw constructive one)
Bazooka = IchoTolot (Nepster wrote: IchoTolot mentioned a few bazooka tricks when commenting on Flopsy's videos)

5. Who likes to play this computer game?

I Wanna Be The Guy = geoo
Chip's Challenge = mobius
Deadly Rooms Of Death = Proxima (IchoTolot wrote: DROD of course!)
Age of Empires = Nepster (geoo wrote: Some strategy game, like Age of Empires)
Antichamber = Insane Steve
Dota 2 = IchoTolot
Pachi-com = Akseli
Chip's Challenge = ccexplore
Final Fantasy = namida (Nepster wrote: mentioned somewhere that he likes these games at least)

6. Who had this childhood hero?

Mr Bean = mobius
Commander Keen = Akseli, Proxima (namida wrote: It's the only "hero" I can think of that I've heard Akseli mention. Steve wrote: This is probably the hardest one for me I think. I have no actual answer so I'll go with Commander Keen from that video game series)
Batman = namida
Yoshi = Insane Steve
Arnold Schwarzenegger = IchoTolot
Albert Einstein = Nepster
Lomax = geoo
noone = ccexplore (Nepster wrote: no idea really, but this is a pretty safe answer)

7. Who picks these hotel roommates?

Flopsy and Colorful Arty = namida
geoo and namida = ccexplore (namida wrote: Admin squad!)
namida and Flopsy = Insane Steve
Simon and namida = Nepster (IchoTolot wrote: so a huge coding party could start)
can't make up mind :( = mobius
geoo and mobius = Akseli
Simon and IchoTolot = geoo, Proxima (ccexplore revised his answer. The first answer was QuizMaster and TEST ACCOUNT.)
Simon and geoo = IchoTolot

8. Who takes this into the sauna?

Spaceship = Akseli
Towel = geoo, Nepster, mobius
Water-proof laptop = ccexplore
Mouse pointer = IchoTolot
Food = Insane Steve
Poker set = namida
Pen and story = Proxima (Nepster wrote: because he is currently writing one)

IchoTolot wrote about himself:

My favorite is "There's Madness in the method"
My favorite: The L2 medieval tileset.
My favorite food is lasagne.
With me I would associate the roper, because he solves problems that would take x-skills otherwise and gets to the solution without long workarounds and discussions.
My favorite game would be "Command&Conquer Red Alert", even if my steam shows a huge ammount of played hrs in Dota2 here lies more nostalgia
My childhood hero is Agent Tanya from Command&Conquer Red Alert. Started early playing this so I shot up lots of "cyborgs" (german censoring yay!) with her early on.
I would pick Nepster and namida as roommates, as they would probably find every single backroute possible for each level I made in that time + they should have a ~ normal sleep cycle.
I would bring a mini-fridge with cold drinks with me into a sauna.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:55:43 AM by Simon »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
Wait, I never submitted my answers to last part!  Don't I get a nag PM like last time? ??? :XD:

Also, shouldn't you also reveal who gave each answer?

For the record, I ended up ultimately going for anti-answers (answers most associated with someone else other than the given person), although in some cases probably not very successfully since I wasn't thinking quite right.  It was an evolution from going for joke/random answers that became a complete necessity once Simon started nagging me and another person on part 2 to submit already. :XD:  After an initial submission, then over dinner I decided to lean further towards anti-answers and re-submitted a second time with that in mind.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:13:56 AM by ccexplore »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
Flopsy and Colorful Arty = namida (ccexplore revised his answer. The first answer was QuizMaster and TEST ACCOUNT.)

That's correct.  However, what you put on the left is not my revised answer.  The question #7 I received asked for Proxima's roommates, not namida's.  Whatever you listed there is someone else's submission.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »
Hi, only 3 people out of 9 have matched via PM. I considered nagging everybody, or just revealing the answers. I went for the straightforward revealing, because:
  • The matching doesn't depend on everybody's participation.
  • People want to see the results ASAP, and it's been over a week.
  • The effort to score all 9 matching PMs would have been O(n^3) in the number of players. I haven't written any tools for this game, and I wanted to sneak out of having to score everybody. >_>
I can dig around my notes and add who wrote what. But I didn't bookkeep that ahead of time, it's a pain to do it now. I should have paid more attention to this from the beginning.

Flopsy and Colorful Arty = namida (ccexplore revised his answer. The first answer was QuizMaster and TEST ACCOUNT.)

That's correct.  However, what you put on the left is not my revised answer.  The question #7 I received asked for Proxima's roommates, not namida's.  Whatever you listed there is someone else's submission.

Thanks, fixed!

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:56:26 AM by Simon »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Totally understand.  It sounded fun before playing, but as soon as I had to start answering it very quickly dawned on me how much work there'd be for both players and especially for QuizMaster.  Clearly if we were to repeat this game ever again we need to streamline it a bit.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:50 PM »
I suggested in chat a simpler form of this game:

every one sends in via PM a fact about themselves, trying to think of something nobody knows, then when play begins; players and facts are revealed and everyone's job is to match the player to the fact.

-------

I like that most of us are sitting naked in the sauna with random objects, and Akseli, a space ship ???

Pretty sure Age of Empires is one of Clam's favorite games. I said porcupine for ccexplore because all I could think of was an ironic answer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:12:56 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 11:33:27 PM »
My comments on a few answers:

Q1 (Favourite level). I submitted Quote: "That's a good level" for Insane Steve, because it's the first level in the Brick tileset he is so fond of. A better submission would have been Fall and no life, which he praised in the Level List Game, but I didn't remember that until afterwards.

Odyssey -- ccexplore was an easy-to-guess matching -- as was Rendezvous at the Mountain being mine. I wouldn't say it's my favourite level, but googling that title was how I found this forum in the first place, and in the Level List Game I was the only one who preferred it to Lemmings' Ark (which, incidentally, would have been my guess for geoo's favourite).

Q2 (tileset). I submitted Dune -- Ichotolot for obvious reasons. My favourite is indeed Marble, with Fire, Crystal and Bubble high up as well.

Q3 (favourite food). I submitted Galaxy bars -- Nepster because he clearly has a thing for cosmology. Easy to guess that I was paired with fish and chips, being the only British player (though my actual favourite is roast duck).

Q4 (associated L2 skill). Rather a mean question; who wants to log in and find out that someone associated them with the diver? Platformer was a good guess for mine, since it's shared with Lix and I like using it in my levels.

Q5 (computer game). I submitted IWBTG -- geoo because he makes ridiculously hard levels. DROD was a really obvious guess for me since I talk about it a lot in chat, often comparing Simon's game design rants with similar discussions on the DROD forums.

Q6 (childhood hero). Weird question, I feel nearly all answers were wild guesses. Correct answer for me would be Sonic the Hedgehog :P

Q7 (hotel roommates). I submitted Flopsy and Arty -- namida so they could have a wild all-night poker session :P

Q8 (sauna). Silly question. I submitted spaceship -- Akseli because of his Captain Viridian avatar. And while I am writing a novel at the moment, I certainly wouldn't take it into the sauna :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 01:28:43 AM »
If there is no part 3, or if the scoring was more along the lines of how many correct matching-guesses other people made of the answers you submitted, then I probably would not have bothered with anti-answers, since really the only point of anti-answers is to make that part harder for others. :devil: Granted, most of my answers would then still likely be fairly random and not very well-tied to the person.  Actually, looking at the questions, even if they were asked of me I'm not immediately sure what I'd actually answer for most of them. :XD:

=============

Regarding Odyssey-ccexplore:  I'm now actually curious if I actually ever said the word "favorite" or anything like it in association with L2's Odyssey.  I mean, sure, the challenges that came out of it were definitely interesting and undeniably associated to me, and in some ways it was one of the more notable and not-so-forgettable levels in L2 for me even ignoring challenges, but I suspect there are better candidates for me even when confined to official L2 levels. :-\ I'll grant you that if we talk about something broader like "top 10 in L2", Odyssey probably would make the list for me, though I think it probably says more about the mediocrity of the rest of the L2 levels. :XD:

I think for L1 I'd likely go with "It's Hero Time" off top of my head, though there are undoubtedly other contenders as well if I actually think about it, and similarly if ONML is included I'm inclined to go with "There's Madness to the Method", though I'm very tempted to go with "Thunder-Lemmings are Go" (aka Tame 13) solely because of the incredible 1-builder solution geoo found.  I'll have to get back to you on L2 but off top of my head, I vaguely recall an Egyptian level that may fit the bill, and a Classic level that is a strong contender as well. :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 08:59:24 AM »
Hmm. What I learned from running this:
  • Make clear whether this is competitive, or whether we won't take seriously the scoring. This influences the secret answering. Don't assume that everybody feels the same.
  • Collect and keep around seemingly-irrelevant data.
  • Have players duplicate the question in their reply, because everybody got different questions. I had to associate secret answers with sent questions. We can probably trust people not to modify the question within their reply, or verify random samples.
  • Have players send their answers in a special format, so their PMs can be fed into a tool.
Who wants the quizmaster account next? Run a feud or your own game.

-- Simon