Author Topic: [FIXED] [BUG] Stacker turns instantly in a miner tunnel/slopes in general  (Read 1848 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Noticed that today. Tested in the exp version. In the stable version he builds the whole stack.

To reprodce simply make a miner tunnel and when a lem turns and moves up again make him a stacker at the inner of the 2 stair pixels.

I expected him to build the whole stack in both places. Instead on the outer one he builds the stack normally and on the inner one just places one step then turns around. Probably because the first brick is build into the terrain.
The behavior if a stack goes into terrain ---> turn is alright, but making him turn instantly when the first brick is build into terrain would turn the stacker into a walker on slopes.

Proposal:    Make him build the full stack in both cases ---> soften terrain check for first brick probably, maybe if the 2nd brick would be visible again continue stacking. Not the 3rd 4th etc as this would mean stackers would ingnore 1 pixel ceilings entirely!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:00:10 PM by Nepster »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] Stacker turns instantly in a miner tunnel/slopes in general
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
Just to make sure, that I understand you proposal correctly. You want the following behavior:
1) Brick 1 adds pixels and brick 2 adds pixels: Don't change anything, i.e. use the current checks.
2) Brick 1 adds pixels, but brick 2 does not: Place two bricks and turn after placing the second brick, i.e. the current behavior.
3) Brick 1 does not add pixels, but brick 2 does: Behave like in case 1), i.e. ignore the problem with the first brick.
4) Neither brick 1 nor brick 2 adds any pixels: Turn around after placing the first brick, i.e. the current behavior.
Correct?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
Just to make sure, that I understand you proposal correctly. You want the following behavior:
1) Brick 1 adds pixels and brick 2 adds pixels: Don't change anything, i.e. use the current checks.
2) Brick 1 adds pixels, but brick 2 does not: Place two bricks and turn after placing the second brick, i.e. the current behavior.
3) Brick 1 does not add pixels, but brick 2 does: Behave like in case 1), i.e. ignore the problem with the first brick.
4) Neither brick 1 nor brick 2 adds any pixels: Turn around after placing the first brick, i.e. the current behavior.
Correct?
Correctly :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
Correct?

Except for #2 (in this case, the lemming would place one brick then turn around), this is actually exactly how the stacker behaves in the stable version.

Nepster mentioned in chat that, basically, the changes were to bring stacker behaviour more in line with Platformer and Builder behaviour; the most obvious thing that was different before (to an end user) being that builder and platformer have no special treatment for the first brick.

The reason Stackers did, originally, is because not doing so would make it impossible to stack properly on a 45 degree upwards slope, which would be somewhat crippling to the skill, not to mention very annoying on rough-edged graphic sets.

Ultimately, as I usually do for physics these days, I'll defer to Nepster's judgement on this one, but I felt it was important to explain why the old rule was what it was.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
IchoTolot's proposal is implemented now.