Author Topic: Lemmings Challenges  (Read 121035 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Lemmings Challenges
« on: June 01, 2005, 03:41:20 AM »
I\ve recently discovered a few ]challenge solutions^ to various Lemmings levels. Some of these solutions involve saving more lemmings than what was previously thought possible with the given skills, while others involve passing the level with fewer skills than what is given. Please note that some of these solutions take advantage of glitches in the PC game. &#A0;This means that they may not work in other versions. &#A0;Here are a few to get started with:

Lemmings
Fun 6 ` A task for blockers and bombers: Save 90% (or more) using only 1 bomber and 3 blockers (Thanks to Insane Steve for finding this one).
Fun 8 ` Not as complicated as it looks: Save 100% without using any bridges.
Fun 10 ` Smile if you love lemmings: Save 100% using only 2 miners and 2 diggers. Fun 12 ` Patience: Save 100% without using any bridges.
The ]We all fall down^ levels: Pass the level using only 1/4 of the diggers given.
Tricky 23 ` From the boundary line: Save 91% (73/80).
Taxing 6 ` Compression method 1: Save 100%.

ONML
Crazy 8 ` KEEP ON TRUCKING: Save 100%.
Wicked 6 ` PoP TiL\ YoU DrOp: Save 98% (79/80).
Havoc 4 ` The race against cliches: Complete the level using just 1 of the 20 climbers.
Havoc 16 ` Scaling the Heights: Save 100%.

I\ll add more later. &#A0;If anybody wants to add some more challenges, please do!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Challenges
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:12:09 AM »
Ignoring the alternative solutions covered by my "Backroute remakes" set, I've discovered a few neat challenges:

Lemmings

Tricky 26 - I have a cunning plan: Save 100% with one builder (Genesis); might be possible with none on some versions
Taxing 4 - Lend a helping hand: Save 100% without taking the "outside route"
Taxing 13 - Upsidedown World: save 100%
Taxing 26 - Triple Trouble: save all but one with eight builders
Mayhem 24 - All or nothing: find a way guaranteed to complete the level every time
Mayhem 25 - Have a nice day: complete the level with 6 builders

ONML

Tame: pass all 20 levels with 100% using a total of 5 builders
Crazy 16 - Across the gap: Save 100% with one builder
Wicked 1 - Lemming Tomato Ketchup Facility: complete with two bombers
Wicked 3 - This Corrosion: find a second solution that doesn't involve building past the exit
Havoc 7 - Creature Discomforts: Save 100%

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »
Tricky 26 - I have a cunning plan: Save 100% with one builder (Genesis); might be possible with none on some versions

Possible with no builders in the PC version.

Conway

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM »
Fun 28 - If only they could fly: Don't touch the floor.
Tricky 19 - Postcard from Lemmingland: Don't use the basher, or don't use the miner.
Taxing 23 - King if the castle: Save 100%
Mayhem 1 - Steel Works: Save 100%
Mayhem 9 - Curse of the Pharohs: Save 100%
Mayhem 18 - And then there were four: Pass within two minutes.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 08:46:53 PM »
Mayhem 18 - And then there were four: Pass within two minutes.

O_o

Hmm, maybe I'll try that one.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 10:19:16 AM »
Heh, You should do a DOS or Cheapo pack with these.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 12:54:26 PM »
I'm able to complete "We all fall down" levels without using any skills...

... of course, it is because I don't use the good version of Lemmings: the "falling too high" distance isn't the same.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »
This isn't as challenging as it sounds (and probably already well known), but:

Taxing 18:  Tribute to M.C. Escher:  100% using only builders

(Verified to be possible in PC version.  Obviously not possible in certain versions that, um, require the floater to be used.)

For those versions that requires the floater, modify the challenge to use only builders and that floater, still 100%.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 04:36:34 PM »
How is that possible? Is the drop down the other side small enough that just laying one brick at the bottom makes it survivable?

(I note that Ephraim Vishniac's walkthrough says it's possible to get 100% on the Mac version...... but except for what I just said I really don't see how.)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 05:04:46 PM »
No, you need 5 bricks to make the fall safe, at least on the PC version.

So you do need to do some work on the right side.  The modified challege is indeed probably more interesting.

Keep in mind that Ephraim Vishniac's 100% probably still uses the basher, which the challenge forbids.

I can e-mail you if you just want me to tell you how to do it.  With the caveat that fot the modified challenge, I've only tried out bits and pieces of it, on the PC version, to believe it should be doable, but I haven't accounted how much time it might take.  (Though the original challenge has more than sufficient time left, so the modified challenge should not have a time issue.)

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven  link=1117597280/0#0 date=1117597280
Fun 10 ` Smile if you love lemmings: Save 100% using only 2 miners and 2 diggers

Here's a different challenge for that level:  save all but 1 (90% I think) using just 1 miner and 1 digger.  (Equivalently, just save all but 2 with 1 digger)

(I've look into 100% solution using a subset of LemSteven's challenge's skillset but the timing just doesn't work out for the second lemming out, at least on the PC.)

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven  link=1117597280/0#0 date=1117597280
Fun 6 ` A task for blockers and bombers: Save 90% (or more) using only 1 bomber and 3 blockers (Thanks to Insane Steve for finding this one).

Surprisingly, this also works on the SNES version.  I don't see why not push the requirement all the way up to 94% (3 lost); in fact it would seem more difficult to actually force 90% or 92% (not counting pressing "ESC" when you reach the percentage in question).

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »
I think I might have figured out the solution to the Taxing 18 challenge, as long as I don't run out of builders.  I'll have to test my solution to see if it works...

Anyway, here's a few more challenges:

Lemmings:
Fun 20 - We are now at LEMCON ONE: Save 100%. using 8 builders, 1 basher, 2 diggers, a climber, and a floater.
Fun 22 - A BEAST of a level: Save 100% with no bridges.
Fun 23 - I've lost that lemming feeling: Save 100%. using all three exits.
Taxing 19 - Bomboozal: Save 92% (65/70) in one minute.
Mayhem 5 - Down, along, up, in that order: Save 95% (76/80).
Mayhem 15 - The fast food kitchen: Save 100% in less than 2 minutes.
Mayhem 29 - Save Me: Save 95% (76/80).

ONML
Crazy 20 - Ice Ice Lemming: Save 100%
Wild 13 - Onward and Upward: Save 96% (77/80).
Havoc 19 - Looks a bit nippy out there: Complete the level without using the bottom 2/3 of the level.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven  link=1117597280/0#12 date=1117743709
I think I might have figured out the solution to the Taxing 18 challenge, as long as I don't run out of builders.  I'll have to test my solution to see if it works...

The "no floater" challenge you can get by with 14 builders.

But since most of everyone knows what "no floater" means and it isn't quite as interesting, let me extend the requirements of the "modified challenge" to all versions of the game:  complete with only builders and the floater, AND without "direct dropping" anyone to the exit (which some versions of the game do not support, and is the only way you can get away with not using the floater).  This will take up all 15 builders.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 11:32:40 PM »
Ok, I think I finally broke some "world record" (in the world of lemmings anyway) with this:

Taxing 16: Mary Poppin's Land:  Save 100%

I've only verified this on the SNES version (I'll try the PC version later tonight, though the lack of savestates will make execution hell), but it should work on most versions unless the builder builds exceedingly slow.

To give you an idea, the crowd control "device" uses just 7 builders total and 4 floaters to setup.  So you actually should end up with leftover builders in the end.