Author Topic: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes  (Read 23655 times)

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »
I have recently discovered Lemmings (25years late, I know) and have been playing the games on http://playdosgamesonline.com/.

I am currently playing Lemmings 2 - The Tribes but there is only one level per Tribe.

Have I missed something or is there a site where the full game in available?

I am using a Windows laptop with Chrome.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Try using the copy from here. You'll need DOSBox, if you're unfamiliar with how to set that up, let us know and someone will help you out.

http://www.camanis.net/lemmings/lemmings2.php

Make sure to run L2-FIX and not just L2. I don't think you need to bother with the installer; just unzip, go to that directory in DOSBox, and run it.

(You could also grab one of the other versions from there and use an emulator, but they vary as to how true they are to the original game - expect Amgia, which, strictly speaking, is the original version.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »
Thanks.

Despite being old enough to remember and have used DOS, I have never mastered DOSBox which is why I was using the site.

Any help/advice/instructions will be gratefully received.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:02:06 PM »
Using DOSBox is pretty similar to using a real DOS PC. The one thing to keep in mind is that you have to actually "mount" a folder from your PC, which will then make it look like a drive to any game in DOSBox.

Let's say for example that your copy of Lemmings 2 is in "C:\Lemm2\" (In practice, it's more likely to be somewhere like "C:\Users\[your username]\Games\Lemmings2\" or something like that, but we'll use a short folder for the example).

You'd enter this command:

mount C C:\Lemm2\

Once you've done this, within DOSBox, the folder that's actually C:\Lemm2\ on your PC, will appear to be just the C:. So from there, you can simply enter:

cd C:\
L2-FIX

And that should get you into the game.

If you find the game is laggy, you may need to increase (or sometimes, decrease) DOSBox's "cycles". Use Ctrl+F11 to decrease, Ctrl+F12 to increase.

Once you get more familiar with it, you can set the default cycles in the config file, and perhaps add your mount command to the AUTOEXEC section at the end. Don't worry about that at first, though.

For the record, while you'll need DOSBox (or emulation of a different system) for L2, L3 and L3D; if you're wanting to play the original Lemmings (or games based on it - eg. Oh No! More Lemmings!, Holiday Lemmings) at any stage, I highly recommend using Lemmix, Lemmini or NeoLemmix instead. They're much more convenient, and work directly on Windows. :) In particular, Lemmix replicates the DOS versions almost exactly, even including glitches (despite the name similarity, NeoLemmix does not; the name comes from the fact that it's forked from Lemmix's source code).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:13:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
I'm tempted to try DOS Box myself, I did install it a while ago but couldn't figure out how to use it. Do you actually need a Windows install disk to use it because I got to a boot screen but it couldn't boot a version of Windows for some reason.
I set up a section of my hard drive to run Windows 95 to see if it would sort out my Lemmings Paintball display issues but DOS Box just got stuck on a black boot screen.

Glad a topic popped up for this because I'm in limbo about what to do about recording Lemmings 2 The Tribes, was considering the SNES version but I'm having problems recording that console at the moment plus the L2 port on that is not that good anyway.

EDIT: turns out I might have been using the wrong program in the above case. I seem to be making headway on this now :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:27:51 PM by Flopsy86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:52 PM »
Doxbox [...] Do you actually need a Windows install disk to use it

To use Dosbox? No.

because I got to a boot screen

What did you do exactly that got you a boot screen?

When you run Dosbox, you get a graphical window with a command prompt. A command prompt is not a boot screen.

but it couldn't boot a version of Windows for some reason.

There is no Windows included in Dosbox.

Do you want to install Windows inside Dosbox?

I set up a section of my hard drive to run Windows 95 to see if it would sort out my Lemmings Paintball display issues but DOS Box just got stuck on a black boot screen.

You already have a partition with Win95. Paintball is a Win95 program, not a Dos program. Paintball should run natively on Win95 without installing Dosbox anywhere. Paintball will not run directly inside Dosbox.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
It should also be possible (depending on your file browser) to just drag L2-FIX.COM onto your DosBox shortcut and it should run it automatically.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:10:53 PM by geoo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
Re to what Simon has posted.

I got DOS Box confused with Virtual Box, that program requires a Windows boot disc. Mobius cleared that up for me in IRC so just ignore what I said in the previous post. :XD:

I have managed to get L2 running in DOS Box but now I can't get the sound to function, it pops up in the command prompt Sound FX failed to load.

The L2 Fix file has failed to fix this problem as well.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Confused Virtualbox with Dosbox: No problem, thanks for clarifying.

No sound: In Dosbox, run install in the Lemmings 2 dir, and pick Sound Blaster, 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1. Answer everything until you're back at the prompt. Run the game. See if music and sfx are enabled in the game options.

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »
Thanks for that Simon, I've now got the sound working. I didn't realise the install file needed to be run using Dos Box aswell.

I'm now having problems with choppy sound but I realise that is down to the configuration of which sound blaster and how many cycles in the config file.

Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks namida, I've just downloaded NeoLemmix and I think I'll be a while..................

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »
I hear that you are thinking about doing a lemmings 2 the tribes playthrough Flopsy. I think the SNES one is not a bad choice if you were to choose that one.

Been enjoying your lemmings paintball play throughs. :) :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
I hear that you are thinking about doing a lemmings 2 the tribes playthrough Flopsy. I think the SNES one is not a bad choice if you were to choose that one.

The SNES version is maybe the worst port in my opinion. So many levels dumped down in difficulty. Whole traps are missing like the eyes in the cavelem tribe. Also the music is way worse for some tribes, again cavelem would be my example here: Some uncoordinated bongos instead of the awesome tune that most people are familiar with.

I actually managed to get my recording sofware (Open Broadcaster Software) working with the DOSBOX version of Lemmings 2 the tribes. It recognises the window and the sound is also working.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:45:29 AM »
I've managed to get L2 The Tribes working in DOS Box but the game runs slowly and the music is not playing properly so I'm guessing my settings aren't correct or my laptop is not good enough to run the game.

I've been messing around with the amount of cycles in cpu settings. Setting it to Max gets lag of about 1 second between audio and video. Setting it to 10000 gets the music lagging whenever I move the cursor, it's so bad I don't even proceed to play.

What settings are you using in your DOS Box IchoTolot, and moreover are you running a better PC than 2.2GHz Quad core processor and 8GB RAM?

The issues are so bad at the moment, I dread what recording in DOS Box will be like.

I can record the SNES version now but it would be in an emulator on PC grams88, still haven't resolved my issues with recording off an actual SNES. Eventhough some people think the SNES version is the worst version, it's the only one I can get to run properly at the moment and would be able to record in good quality.

Although I would really like to play the DOS version of Tribes if I can get it to run at a decent capacity.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:56 AM »
Turning cycles up can in some cases make lag problems worse. Try turning them down.
My Lemmings projects