Author Topic: "Released Projects" subforum of "Other Projects"?  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: "Released Projects" subforum of "Other Projects"?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
I'm not sure about moving Collab levels to Level Design as Level Design is more on discussing good tips on making a level. Perhaps I can move them to Lemmings Discussion in the meantime, unless you can perhaps create a Collab Levels subforum somewhere?

For the Lemmings Plus Voteoffs, I think they can go into Level Reviews. In a sense, your levels are being reviewed by people voting for them (and the voteoffs also determine the best level of your pack). This would mean moving the Official Lemmings Levels voteoffs there, though...
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »
I'm not sure about moving Collab levels to Level Design as Level Design is more on discussing good tips on making a level. Perhaps I can move them to Lemmings Discussion in the meantime, unless you can perhaps create a Collab Levels subforum somewhere?

This is too specific (and uncommon) to warrant a subforum, I think. I suggest Level Design since it relates to level designing, and there isn't any other board that's more appropriate for it.

For the Lemmings Plus Voteoffs, I think they can go into Level Reviews. In a sense, your levels are being reviewed by people voting for them (and the voteoffs also determine the best level of your pack). This would mean moving the Official Lemmings Levels voteoffs there, though...

This makes sense. However, at the same time, I'd also say that it's not worth worrying too much about old posts, unless they contain content that we want to preserve and find easily (graphic sets, level packs, etc).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 04:40:35 AM »
I believe (Level Packs -> In Development) is the best board for that community project. Reasons:
  • namida wrote about In Development: "making a serious proposal that you genuinely expect will go somewhere, in the case of eg. community packs".
  • Level Design is about theory, as everybody agrees. It's not for a concrete project plan. In Level Design, you would rather philosophize whether a community project is feasible at all.
  • In software, planning is part of development, even while no code is written yet.
Hatch even beginning projects in (Level Packs -> In Development), and rename (Level Design) to (Level Design Theory).

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »
I believe (Level Packs -> In Development) is the best board for that community project.

My thoughts here is that this relates to a single level, and not a level pack. But I see where you're coming from too... hmm...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 03:59:19 AM »
There are topics in Level Design that are mostly on CustLemm/Lemmix Packs like the Lemmix Pack Topic, the Lemmini Pack Topic, Akseli's first Lemmix pack and Minim's Time Limits pack. Should I move these types of topics to the Level Packs board as well?

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 04:09:20 AM »
I'd say yes. Feel free to use your judgement with these moves; since they're only being moved, not deleted, it's easy enough to revert it if we later feel it shouldn't've been. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
I would really consider changing "Level Design" to "Level Design Theory" to minimize confusion. Dullstar just posted a topic in Level Design that only relates more to having partially completed levels and encouraging others to complete those. I already moved it to Lemmings Discussion.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Alright. I've pretty much finished moving all the Level Pack topics into the Level Packs board. I have also moved all Graphic Sets topics from the Other Projects board to the Graphic Sets subforum of the NeoLemmix board (including zanzindorf's Glacier Tileset as he made it for both SuperLemmini and NeoLemmix) and moved all Lemmings Plus Voteoffs to the Lemmings Discussion Board.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
I'm not a big fan of using this very strict definition for the level design subforum. The way it is now, it just means that Lemmings Discussion becomes a dump for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else. And stuff related to level design, even if it's not theory, fits better in Level Design than Lemmings Discussion (such as Dullstar's topic).
So rather than thinking of Level Design as "Level Design Theory" and Lemmings Discussion as "Dump for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else", I think it makes much more sense to go along the lines that Level Design is "Anything related to level design that doesn't fit in Level Packs (or Lix)" and Lemmings Discussion is "Anything related to the official games". If something doesn't clearly fit into a specific board, it shouldn't go into a "Dump for everything that doesn't fit" board but rather into the board where it's closest to.

Also, I hope "Level Packs" is also not so strict to include only level packs, maybe some people would have a thread releasing individual levels. Such threads should go in "Level Packs".

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 01:54:32 AM »
Also, I hope "Level Packs" is also not so strict to include only level packs, maybe some people would have a thread releasing individual levels. Such threads should go in "Level Packs".

As long as they're not making a seperate topic for every single level (just perhaps a general "My Single Levels" type topic), I would consider this okay, I guess.
My Lemmings projects