Author Topic: The future of the Lemmings series  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
The future of the Lemmings series
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
The activity on the forum have been extremely quiet as of late so I thought I would try to spice things up a little bit.

What do you guys think of the future of the Lemmings series? Lemmings Touch kind of came from nowhere, although it wasn't the best the series had to offer it was still a decent entry in the series. Will we see more games like that or will Sony (I think it's them that holds the right to the series now, right?) bring something new to the table with the series?

Personally I would like something along the lines with Lemmings 2 where they stick to the old formula but giving us new options to play around with which made many of the levels quite unique in a new way, I still think there are a ton of potential if we leave the old and tried classic Lemmings' formula.
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: The future of the Lemmings series
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
I can't say I have much faith in the official content anymore. PS3 lemmings was fun, but not overly challenging and very short; Lemmings Touch's over-use of things such as the movable walls and adjustable trampolines got annoying to the point where I couldnt' be bothered continuing - the only official game that put me off quicker than Touch did, was Lemmings 3. And in general, I would say console isn't really the right place for a game like Lemmings, but I doubt we'll see Sony release anything on PC.

Who knows; maybe they'll prove me wrong, and I'd love to see that - chances are if a new official game comes out on a platform I have (at the moment, that's PC, Android, PS3 or PS Vita), I'll get it and give it a shot; but at this point I wouldn't be having my hopes too high.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
Broke out my PS Vita and started playing the PSP port of Lemmings again and realised how terrible it was in places. The lemmings just walk so slow in that port and it's so bad that levels just take longer in general.
In fact majority of Fun and Tricky had 7-11 min time limits!

I enjoyed Lemmings Touch, it's not a bad thing to do with Lemmings but as namida says, the movable objects are annoying and they don't really have a place in a Lemmings game. Luckily not a lot of the levels relied on this mechanic.
The evil lemmings are a nice gimmick, it's like the zombies in Neo Lemmix but they come out of the trapdoor aswell and you can actually assign tasks to them. But if they get to a exit then you lose.
I can enjoy the game enough to play it too the end though.

Lemmings PS3 was a lazy release I thought, there was only 40 levels (10 per rank) and there was only TWO graphic sets! One of which was really dark and had to be lit up as you went along the level which means you couldn't work out the solutions as easily.
However, the skill pick ups was a nice mechanic which has been adopted in Neo Lemmix.

Anyway on topic, considering the above offerings from Sony so far. I don't have much confidence in them delivering a quality Lemmings release ever. In my opinion Psygnosis/DMA were the masters of making Lemmings games and always will be.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
I have to agree; I think the best would be made if Sony lost rights to the game and some other company took over. This is partly due to my dislike of Sony for many other reasons however :-\

If anyone makes a new game, please let it be for the computer, at the very least along with any other consoles. Maybe on phones would be nice. I don't have any handheld consoles but I remember how much fun I had with the gameboy when I was a young.

I have to admit I like the graphics or at least the direction or ideas for them in recent games. Though I think they could be improved upon. Like already stated; darkness on that one graphic set is a real issue. And backgrounds being too bright and flashy is another major issue. But I like the concept of that dark set and the others like the candy set.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
I've often thought, why not have lemmings build their own homes or something.