Author Topic: Annoying keyboard problem on my new laptop  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Annoying keyboard problem on my new laptop
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
I just got a new laptop for Christmas. It's very quick and more reliable than my old one. But here's the story.

I downloaded NeoLemmix on my laptop and got it working. However, the functional keys are not doing what I want it to do. For example, when I press F1 I get the stupid Windows help tab, while others are to change brightness/sound etc. I can't change skills, enter the code screen or pause the game without having to hold the 'fn' key. I'm wondering how I can sort this problem out. Can anybody please help me?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Annoying keyboard problem on my new laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
Change the default function key behavior in the Bios. That was how it worked 10 years ago. >_>

If stuck, google.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
Yep, what Simon says. It's common on new laptops for the F keys to be reversed (ie: press for their alternate function, hold Fn + press for the F key itself). But indeed, you can usually change this in the BIOS.

If you can't change that setting on your PC, there isn't much that can be done for the main menu screen at this point; but for in-game, you could always remap the skill selection to different keys (open Config menu from the main menu, then select "Remap Hotkeys"); this requires V1.36n or higher (but of course, you should have V1.37n, or even better V1.38n, by now).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:56 AM »
OK, thanks for your help, both of you.

I couldn't find the BIOS on my laptop while I was starting up, so I decided to configure the in-game keys in the NeoLemmix Menu.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:55 AM »
You need to do a full shutdown of your system (Windows 8.1 and 10, by default, do something somewhere between a proper shutdown and hibernating). If you press <Windows>+X, then shut down from there, it should do a full shutdown.

It still might not show the BIOS option, but if you press the right key during boot (generally either Esc, F2 or F12, depending on your PC's manufacturer) you should get into it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
OK. I found out that I needed to use F10 to get into BIOS and was able to fix it through there. ;) I've found a youtube link that really helped sort my problem out.

Right. Time to play NeoLemmix! :D