Author Topic: Experimental Releases  (Read 27776 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Experimental Releases
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
What should happen when pressing the D-key? My D-key works perfectly fine and selects the walker skill. :P
In the absence of any reason to believe otherwise, it is best to assume people mean on the default hotkey setup. Certianly, what he mentioned fits perfectly with the default setup.
Yes, I understood that (though the phrasing of my question probably didn't express that - sorry). But I simply don't know what the D-key does in the default hotkey setup. From your comments it seems that it has to do with displaying some fall distance guide, but is this everything it does or only a side-effect?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
The fall distance guide is the intended effect. It places a ruler at the cursor position (unlike the cursor itself, this ruler is aligned to physics pixels rather than screen pixels) which measures the fall distance.

The top of the ruler should be placed in line with the edge the lemmings are falling from. If the landing space is within the white, the fall is safe; if lines up with the red (or is below the ruler altogether), the fall is fatal.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
Uploaded experimental V10.011.011:64790BD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk55s9h7827l97a/NeoLemmix-10-011-011-exp.exe?dl=0

Core
- No changes.

Features
- Fixed a bug which causes an infinitely-recurring error during mass replay test in some cases on zombie levels (for example, Doomsday Lemmings Outbreak 5 triggered this bug)
- The mass replay tester will no longer terminate testing a replay as soon as the save requirement is met if there are any unobtained talismans on the level in question; this is so that talisman replays can be properly checked with the replay checker too*

* Currently this change is implemented in a very simple manner; the only thing checked is "Are there any talismans on this level which haven't been unlocked yet?". In particular, it doesn't bother to check whether the talisman requirements have already been missed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
First experimental of V10.012.012(:E41A39B).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ntarthxxyfeha7/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-e41a39b.exe?dl=1

Updated it, V10.012.012:26B7483.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmd1i7mr4f13iok/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-26b7483.exe?dl=1

Has a few perfomance enhancements, as well as (finally) skill shadows for Cloners where applicable.

Please note: Replays from this version are not compatible with older versions. (To those who got the new formats test version, replays from that are compatible with this version (and vice versa).) Replays from older versions will work fine on this version, though.

Known bugs:
1. Music doesn't work (Fixed in 53BE4D8)
2. Backgrounds don't work (Fixed in 53BE4D8)
3. Mass-dumped levels are missing preplaced lemmings (Fixed in 26B7483)
4. Mass-dumped levels always default to the first background (Fixed in 26B7483)

The reasons for a new core version number are (a) VGASPEC support has now been dropped completely rather than just deprecated and semi-broken, and (b) replay files from this version are not compatible with older versions. There are no physics changes.

To those who showed interest - it is quite plausible that custom lemming sprites will become possible with this version, rather than needing a wait for the new-formats version as I originally expected. This version already supports more or less everything needed on the player side; it's just GSTool and Flexi that need support.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:27:52 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Fixed up a whole bunch of things relating to lemming sprites. Custom lemming sprites are now 100% supported, too! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8avykt4zpfouaxl/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-fc02a1f.exe?dl=1

Of course, to actually use them, you'll need a few other things...

Experimental GSTool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/13h89oxadk2i3qo/GSTool.exe?dl=1
Experimental Flexi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

These two aren't likely to have much further changes, apart from that Flexi needs an option to set a pack-wide sprite other than default or xmas.

For GSTool, you can outright specify a lemming sprites name to use for the graphic set, rather than being forced to choose only between "default" or "xmas". Aside from this, no changes here. So, the first step is to set a custom one here. (And not to worry - if you set a custom name in your graphic set, then use that graphic set with a single LVL file or an NXP that doesn't contain the custom sprites, NeoLemmix won't crash, it'll just revert to default sprites.)

For Flexi, I removed the existing custom lemming sprites option, and in its place put a new "custom data files" section which could be used to include any file you like in an NXP. We might see this do more in the future, but for now, its only purpose is really for the files for custom lemming sprites. When just modifying the default / xmas sprites, you only need to include the modified files. When adding a completely custom extra set, you must include every animation's graphic, plus the "XXXX_scheme.nxmi" file; masks are optional, you don't have to include blank ones for sprites that don't use it. (And likewise, you can use them even for sprites that don't have them in the default spritesets; just follow the same filenaming convention as the existing masks.)

You can get the default and xmas lemming graphics to use as a template here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsscyhj9mz2ubce/default_sprites.zip?dl=1

Everything should be fairly easy to understand, just ask me if it isn't. You don't need any special editor for the "XXXX_scheme.nxmi" file, it's plain text, just use Notepad or another text editor. I don't really want to write up a tutorial until this goes into stable. (By the way, when new-formats launches, custom lemming sprite files from here will be almost completely compatible - some file renaming will be needed but that's all.)

You can look at the "Notes.txt" file for a bit more info.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:29:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
Made a few more fixes to the player (V10.012.012:DA7A9B8): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyfkklznnsm7rd4/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-da7a9b8.exe?dl=1
Also made a fix to Flexi, so that it accepts the V10.012.XXX replays: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Another player update (V10.012.012:D8631CF): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz2lhs3n1x2a3eb/NeoLemmix-10-012-012-d8631cf.exe?dl=1

It should now fix all instances of the recoloring bomber explosion bug Crane reported (including one that slipped under the radar before related to zombies), as well as the white line on right side of minimap bug.

There's some stuff that needs further testing / fixing before any stable release, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
And another one (V10.012.012:C3E8D9D): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx6iupzd9aildea/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-c3e8d9d.exe?dl=1

The main new thing in this update is that if you put Flip, Invert or Rotate options on a one-way arrow object, the direction of its effect will change too. (EG: If you place a one-way-left arrow and set Horizontal Flip on it, it now acts as a one-way-right arrow.) This is partly to remove the opportunity for deceptive designs, but mostly to eliminate the need to design every direction seperately if it's just a flip / rotation of another direction's graphic. (After all, there are ways around being prevented from the "deceptive" design. I've already updated Lemmings Plus IV to account for this change.)

If you create a one-way-up arrow this way, it can only be destroyed by bombers.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
Yet another update. (V10.012.012:5328472): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj262phfp1r5q6o/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-5328472.exe?dl=1

This has the change to priority order for shruggers vs permanent-skill lemmings. It also fixes a bug where certain skills would be removed from the skillset if they had a zero initial count even if pickup skills for them exist (intended behaviour is they're only removed if they have a zero count and no pickup skills).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:11:05 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
Updated the experimental Flexi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

The most significant change is that the Talisman editor has now been integrated into Flexi itself, rather than a seperate app. This also means that if you reorder levels, the talismans will also update to reflect the new position. (However - do note that this only applies to the data, not the description. You'll have to update the description manually still.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
Updated the player again (V10.012.012:8E38A5F): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pld9egydjpldxz/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-8e38a5f.exe?dl=1

By default, the minimap is no longer displayed, and in its place are eight extra buttons: Fast Forward, Restart Level, Back One Frame, Forward One Frame, Clear Physics Mode, Directional Select Left, Directional Select Right and Load Replay.

If you prefer to have the minimap, there is an option to re-enable it (at the cost of not having these extra buttons) in the config menu (on the "Interface" tab). Do note that having the minimap disabled will probably also increase performance slightly, which might be helpful to those with weaker systems. (It isn't just hidden; when the buttons are there, the minimap rendering does not even occur in the background.)

If you do like the concept in general of having these buttons but want to suggest changes to what buttons are there, see this topic: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3106.0

Please note: NXPs containing custom skill panel graphics will need modifications to work with this new update. I have not yet updated Flexi to account for this, but will do so soon (including as close as possible to automatic conversion of old images). If used without the update, they will be functional but there may be minor graphical oddities on the skill panel (for the most part, the skill panel will simply revert to default graphics).

There is also another more minor but still nice change: When the game is paused, a white border appears around the Pause button, similar to the one around the selected skill. This also happens with the new Fast Forward, Clear Physics Mode and Directional Select buttons.

Known bug: Infinite skill count and locked icon for RR do not show up (just leaving a blank space instead). This is already fixed in the source code.
Known bug: If you click the Fast Forward button while the game is paused, the white outline appears around it even though the game is not in fast forward mode (even when you unpause, it will be at regular speed, but the outline will disappear at this point). I still need to fix this one, but it will be an easy fix.

Most existing content that's V10.011.XXX-compatible (or even V10.010.XXX-compatible) should work on these experimentals, except for the custom skill panel graphics not working. There is also a version of Lemmings Plus Omega II Demo specifically designed for use with this experimental; the content is the same as the normal version but it has the custom graphics in the correct format for this new version (and is marked as compatible with it).

Exceptions: Any packs that rely on VGASPECs will not work on this experimental (nor on the stable V10.012.XXX release); these now need to be updated to use tileset mixing instead. Any levels that contain flipped one-way arrow objects will also not work as is, as this now flips the direction of them rather than only the graphic. (For the record, all Lemmings Plus packs, and Doomsday Lemmings, are functionally compatible in their latest versions; but only the Omega II demo has the skill panel graphics correctly updated for this experimental.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:31:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
As promised, Flexi update is here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

The backgrounds for the panels will need manual work. This is because previous versions expected them to have the black area for the skill count hard-drawn on them, while the new version expects it to not be hard-drawn on. This is almost impossible to alter automatically, so it must be done manually.

If you have custom graphics for the release rate, pause or nuke icons, this also must be handled manually. (EDIT: I have an idea of how to do this automatically, it's somewhat on the kludgy side but overall it should work. Will look into this tomorrow.)

The empty slot and minimap area graphics will be handled completely automatically, as will any renaming that may need to be done. This includes for masks.

If you want a copy of the default images, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uht82e3zju3pmmu/NeoLemmixCustomImages_Default.zip?dl=1
Those that are in the "files" subfolder will likewise need to go in the "files" subfolder (ie: load via the "Custom Data Files" option) when building an NXP. Those that are not go in the main folder, and can be loaded via the dedicated Custom Images menu. Some images have been removed from this list (but can still be replaced via the Custom Data Files option) because they are very rarely altered or are complicated to modify.
(When opening a pack that already contains custom images of these, Flexi will detect this and put them into the Custom Data Files section.)

Destructive skill masks are not included in the ZIP. The current version does allow overwriting them, but this is obviously not desirable, so the next update (whether experimental or stable) will prevent this. As such, there's not much point in trying to do so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:54:33 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 04:14:48 AM »
Player update V10.012.012:3654989.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsb5c85c2zx03yx/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-3654989.exe?dl=1

There's a lot of behind the scenes optimizations, but the one thing that's relevant to the end user: The L2, L3 and LPV graphic sets are now included. :)

I added some code so that if any L2-medieval levels use the old typo-containing name ("medival"), it will redirect them to the correctly-spelt name.

Known bug: Talisman graphics do not appear correctly.
Known bug: Replay mass check crashes when encountering a V10.012.XXX replay (it works fine on older replays).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:29:46 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
Player update V10.12.12:625639d. https://www.dropbox.com/s/76lwfcobj49r04z/NeoLemmix_10-12-12-625639d.exe?dl=1

As you can see, I've dropped the leading zeros from the core and feature version numbers.

This fixes the two known bugs mentioned in the above post, as well as a couple of bugs with assigning skills to highlit lemmings when the highlight hotkey isn't a mouse button. Also, it is now possible to turn the minimap on and off while in-game instead of having to exit and use the config menu (there is still an option in the config menu as well, but I'm really thinking that can probably be removed now).

I'm thinking this is probably just about ready for release now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, got a Flexi update too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1
This update fixes a few things with autoconversion of graphics from older packs.

Known missing feature: These versions still don't let you set a pack-wide lemming sprite specification other than Default or Xmas. This has already been fixed in the source code and will be possible in the stable version.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:50:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Experimental Player V10.12.13:7BCDAB5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i21yyn3yhk474h/NeoLemmix-10-12-13-7bcdab5.exe?dl=1

Should have the same compatibility with content as V10.12.12 does, unless the content hasn't been made correctly. (For example, Holiday GigaLems 2016 is known not to work on this version due to GigaLem including an incomplete version of the Xmas sprites, despite them being unmodified from the usual Xmas sprites in any way. The initial release of Colorful Arty's underwater graphic set also doesn't work due to a missing Cloner frame in the pickup skill, but he has released a fixed version.)

Aside from lots of behind-the-scenes tweaks that should give performance improvements, the changes here (relatively important ones are bolded):
- You can now assign a "Select Fencer" hotkey without having to manually modify the hotkeys INI file.
- If music is turned off via the Toggle Music hotkey then turned back on, it resumes from where it left off rather than restarting. (This can easily be reverted if people don't like this change.)
- Sound managing code has been entirely rewritten, so let me know if you encounter any sound-related bugs.
- Fixed bug: Trigger areas of objects with the "Only On Terrain" flag didn't show up in clear physics mode.
- Fixed bug: "Most Lemmings Saved" record was only saved on successful attempts.
- Fixed bug: "Fastest Time" record was based on the last lemming the player saved, not the last required lemming the player saved.
- The bugs relating to the weird way NL handles windowed mode are gone, which should greatly improve compatibility with Linux+WINE and "Window Capture" modes in recording software and negate the need for the "-alt" versions.
- Preview / postview texts can now have up to 21 lines instead of only 18.
- Talismans screen now displays 6 talismans per page instead of 5.
- Level select menu can now display 18 levels at a time instead of only 15.
- Preview screen now uses as much space as possible for the level preview image.
- Postview screen now shows previous lemmings saved records and best time.
- When starting NL on a Linux+WINE setup with Fullscreen mode enabled, NL asks if you'd like to switch to windowed mode; this is due to fullscreen mode not working on certain Linux desktop managers (Unity is known to have issues with fullscreen; LXDE appears to work fine; have not tested any others).

In regards to Fencer hotkeys, NL will try two different things to assign a default one: If none of the select skill hotkeys for the NeoLemmix-exclusive skills have been modified, it reassigns them such that 2 = Walker, 3 = Swimmer ... 9 = Fencer, 0 = Cloner (this is also the default hotkey setup for these skills now). If there are any modifications, but the 2 key is not assigned to anything, it will make 2 the Select Fencer hotkey. If neither of these options are suitable, it will not auto-assign a select Fencer hotkey.
My Lemmings projects