Author Topic: Experimental Releases  (Read 27778 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Experimental Releases
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:34:31 AM »
So, now that we're on a universal EXE, external data file format, I figure we can probably start doing this.

I've created the following folder on DropBox to place added support on the new NeoLemmix website to provide downloads of experimental (aka "nightly", I think?) versions of NeoLemmix and sometimes the associated tools.

These will include all the latest bugfixes / feature additions at the time of their adding, but may not have been tested very in-depth. I strongly advise against using them for anything other than testing purposes; for content you intend to release, test it on official release versions, and use official release versions of tools to create it.

The experimental releases can be obtained here. These links will always point you towards the newest experimental version if one exists (they will not point you towards stable versions):
Player: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=16&exp=1
Editor: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=17&exp=1
Flexi: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=18&exp=1
GSTool: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=19&exp=1

If you want to see a full list of available experimental versions, please go to the downloads pages for the relevant app. These list all experimental and stable version downloads that are available.
Player: http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=16
Editor: http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=17
Flexi: http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=18
GSTool: http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=19

Note that for the editor, only the editor EXE is put up. You'll need to copy it into the same folder as an existing editor setup. The other apps tend to be self-contained EXEs anyway so this isn't so relevant to them.

IMPORTANT!
The current editing tools are not directly compatible with new-formats experimentals. Nepster has made a level editor which works with the new formats; other data currently must be done by hand.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:05:21 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Experimental Releases
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
Player V10.011.011 experimental uploaded: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk55s9h7827l97a/NeoLemmix-10-011-011-exp.exe?dl=1

Please let us know ASAP if you find any physics bugs, or bugs that cause NL to crash. Other bugs are not so critical (but still nice to know about).

Changes from V10.010.010:

Core
- Fixed the teleporter-splat bug
- Re-fixed the receiver delayed release bug
- Fixed the disarming-jumper bug
- Fixed the bug where preplaced lemmings may interfere with the window ordering
- Fixed the bug with teleporters linked to non-existant receivers causing missing lemmings or crashes
- Fixed the crash when all entries in custom window ordering point to invalid entries (fake windows or non-window objects)

Features
- Fixed the bug where disarmed traps are treated as live when rendering shadows
- Fixed the crash when mouseovering a fake (or otherwise non-functional) teleporter or receiver in Clear Physics Mode
- Fixed the bug where the level pack options to always use regular sprites / always use xmas sprites is ignored
- Clear physics mode now indicates blocker direction when moused over
- Object helper label added for water
- Performance improvements while paused
- Non-permanent skills can now be queued for a few frames, so you don't have to wait for an exact frame where they can be assigned
- The disable backgrounds option now affects moving backgrounds as well as static ones
- The compatibility warning when running older content on newer versions (in cases where it should be compatible but may be affected by lack of testing on the newer version) is only displayed the first time you run a pack on a given version of NL, not every time
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
Everything crash or critical wise is fine, as far as I tested it until now. :thumbsup:     Xmas stuff is working again! Expect the skillbar needs to be updated to the new format.

The thing that is bothering me a bit:
It is warning me everytime I open a pack (even if it was build with the latest Flexi Toolkit version) that this pack might not be campatible, even though it totally is. :P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
Given that we do some physics changes in this update, prehaps this is the time to implement changes regarding
- Floaters and Gliders exiting midair
- Floater / Glider vs. Splat Pad (assuming there are any changes proposed there that don't result in culling the pads completely and aren't implemented yet)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:25:51 AM »
- Floaters and Gliders exiting midair
Yes, now would be a good time to try and come to a decision on that.

- Floater / Glider vs. Splat Pad (assuming there are any changes proposed there that don't result in culling the pads completely and aren't implemented yet)
Already implemented a change to this one in V1.48. Floaters / Gliders should always survive, even if they haven't been able to pull their thing out. (That just sounds wrong. :P )

It is warning me everytime I open a pack (even if it was build with the latest Flexi Toolkit version) that this pack might not be campatible, even though it totally is.
As long as the pack is compatible as far as "everything loads properly" is concerned (ie: built with at least Flexi Toolkit V1.47n-C, preferably V1.48 or newer), it should only warn the first time. Can you copy/paste the first two lines of the NXSV file from a pack you're having the issue with.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
Have found the issue!

I've opened my pack with the stable version and the new exp alternately. So opening a pack with the stable version after the warning has been given in the exp version resets the warning and it will be given again with the next exp opening!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
Ah. Yes, that would explain it. This will no longer be an issue so much once this becomes a stable version. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 03:22:26 AM »
Uploaded a newer experimental, V10.011.011:9089DA6.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk55s9h7827l97a/NeoLemmix-10-011-011-exp.exe?dl=1

Changes from previous experimental:

Core
- no changes

Features
- Fixed the bug with glider shadows continuing infinitely rather than ending when they meet the ground
- Added some more advanced stuff for modifying replays. (Keys listed here are defaults). Press "W" to toggle Replay Insert mode (red R will turn blue); now any actions you make will be inserted into the replay without cutting off the future actions (they will overwrite if you try two incompatible actions on the same frame). Press "E" to open the Replay Editor; this will eventually allow almost complete manual modification, but for now it allows you to view the list of actions and delete any individual actions (and it has some smart features for deleting gradual release rate changes).

This one actually displays a commit ID on the menu screen as experimentals should, too. :)

Known issues
- (Not actually tested, but based on source code I presume this will happen) Cancel replay hotkey doesn't work when in Replay Insert mode
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:39:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline potamo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 11:49:41 AM »
Hello.
In this experimental version when you assign the stoner for the second time, it doesn't  work properly.
The lemming isn't solid.

One example of this is te replay for LPIV Bumpy 03.

And the D key is not working anymore.

Sorry for my english.
Regards.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:10:20 PM by potamo »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
I can confirm this as well. The first stoner is solid and after that even with pressing "R" for a replay all other stoners will not be solid.

Going out of the level resets this.

EDIT: Checked the older exp version again ----> the bug is also present there!

Out of my mind: Nepster said sth about increasing the performance through decreasing the terrain/map updates some time ago. Maybe he decreased it too much? That would be my guess. Rather a few checks too much than too less. I am ok with waiting another part of a sec.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:06:35 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Tested:

- I can reproduce this. I also noticed, not only do the extra stoners not add terrain, they actually remove it if they overlap any.
- V10.010.010 (latest stable release) does not have this bug.

And the D key is not working anymore.

This doesn't seem to work even in V10.010.010. Upon investigation, the code that's responsible for actually drawing this has been commented out in commit 5ce659e, which was one of Nepster's commits. Nepster: The lines in question are 1377-1378 (in that commit) / 1383-1384 (in latest "master" commit at the time of this post, which is commit afde4a2); can you shed some light on why they were commented out?

Note that uncommenting these lines alone still only causes the fall distance helper (and any theoretical future user helpers) to appear when in Clear Physics Mode. This is probably not ideal. Potential solutions are either to draw them to a different layer (perhaps the Shadows High layer, or a new one), or to ensure nothing else is drawn to the Helpers layer when not in Clear Physics Mode but render this layer if applicable.

EDIT: Moving these lines outside of the above if branch fixes the issue. However, this can cause exceptions during the first rendering; so I added a check that prevents this (theoretically the code within the if branch could too, if it were ever triggered during the first rendering, so the check covers that too). I've now committed this change.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:10:07 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »
Stoner issue:
This is caused by namida's commit 13dc484 "Fixed bug: "Always Xmas Sprites" / "Always Standard Sprites" options don't work."
I suspect that the Renderer changes some DrawModes for LemmingAnimations, which causes problems as this commit changed the stoner mask to be a reference to the renderer's LemmingAnimations instead of loading the mask directly from the style. However I would prefer namida to have a closer look at this, because I am completely unfamiliar with how loading custom sprites should work resp. is implemented.

D-key issue:
What should happen when pressing the D-key? My D-key works perfectly fine and selects the walker skill. :P
Regarding these two lines: All objects helpers get drawn in the loop over all ObjectInfos. So the code does what it was supposed to do according to the comment at the top, while never reaching these lines. Therefore I took these two lines to be the last remnants of old and now unused code. They were commented out to test whether everything still works without them and for some reason I forgot to delete them. Sorry.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 04:05:58 AM »
Alright, will look into this. (EDIT: Fixed in commit 3DD6AB1)

What should happen when pressing the D-key? My D-key works perfectly fine and selects the walker skill. :P

In the absence of any reason to believe otherwise, it is best to assume people mean on the default hotkey setup. Certianly, what he mentioned fits perfectly with the default setup.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:20:11 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 04:24:21 AM »
Uploaded a newer experimental, V10.011.011:18B82C1.

Core
- Fixed the bug where stoners (aside from the first usage) functionally remove terrain rather than adding it

Features
- Fixed the bug that caused the fall distance guide to not work
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 04:48:09 AM »
Experimental Flexi toolkit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/md0enpcvq4tl8re/FlexiToolkit-10-011-011-exp.exe?dl=1

It will mark packs as compatible with this experimental. Also, music pack support has been removed (instead, you should distribute a ZIP or similar of music files to be placed in the "music" folder). NeoLemmix itself will retain support for music packs for a while, but it will be removed eventually so please try to switch over to music files when possible.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
In the absence of any reason to believe otherwise, it is best to assume people mean on the default hotkey setup. Certianly, what he mentioned fits perfectly with the default setup.
Yes, I understood that (though the phrasing of my question probably didn't express that - sorry). But I simply don't know what the D-key does in the default hotkey setup. From your comments it seems that it has to do with displaying some fall distance guide, but is this everything it does or only a side-effect?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
The fall distance guide is the intended effect. It places a ruler at the cursor position (unlike the cursor itself, this ruler is aligned to physics pixels rather than screen pixels) which measures the fall distance.

The top of the ruler should be placed in line with the edge the lemmings are falling from. If the landing space is within the white, the fall is safe; if lines up with the red (or is below the ruler altogether), the fall is fatal.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
Uploaded experimental V10.011.011:64790BD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk55s9h7827l97a/NeoLemmix-10-011-011-exp.exe?dl=0

Core
- No changes.

Features
- Fixed a bug which causes an infinitely-recurring error during mass replay test in some cases on zombie levels (for example, Doomsday Lemmings Outbreak 5 triggered this bug)
- The mass replay tester will no longer terminate testing a replay as soon as the save requirement is met if there are any unobtained talismans on the level in question; this is so that talisman replays can be properly checked with the replay checker too*

* Currently this change is implemented in a very simple manner; the only thing checked is "Are there any talismans on this level which haven't been unlocked yet?". In particular, it doesn't bother to check whether the talisman requirements have already been missed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
First experimental of V10.012.012(:E41A39B).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ntarthxxyfeha7/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-e41a39b.exe?dl=1

Updated it, V10.012.012:26B7483.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmd1i7mr4f13iok/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-26b7483.exe?dl=1

Has a few perfomance enhancements, as well as (finally) skill shadows for Cloners where applicable.

Please note: Replays from this version are not compatible with older versions. (To those who got the new formats test version, replays from that are compatible with this version (and vice versa).) Replays from older versions will work fine on this version, though.

Known bugs:
1. Music doesn't work (Fixed in 53BE4D8)
2. Backgrounds don't work (Fixed in 53BE4D8)
3. Mass-dumped levels are missing preplaced lemmings (Fixed in 26B7483)
4. Mass-dumped levels always default to the first background (Fixed in 26B7483)

The reasons for a new core version number are (a) VGASPEC support has now been dropped completely rather than just deprecated and semi-broken, and (b) replay files from this version are not compatible with older versions. There are no physics changes.

To those who showed interest - it is quite plausible that custom lemming sprites will become possible with this version, rather than needing a wait for the new-formats version as I originally expected. This version already supports more or less everything needed on the player side; it's just GSTool and Flexi that need support.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:27:52 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Fixed up a whole bunch of things relating to lemming sprites. Custom lemming sprites are now 100% supported, too! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8avykt4zpfouaxl/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-fc02a1f.exe?dl=1

Of course, to actually use them, you'll need a few other things...

Experimental GSTool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/13h89oxadk2i3qo/GSTool.exe?dl=1
Experimental Flexi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

These two aren't likely to have much further changes, apart from that Flexi needs an option to set a pack-wide sprite other than default or xmas.

For GSTool, you can outright specify a lemming sprites name to use for the graphic set, rather than being forced to choose only between "default" or "xmas". Aside from this, no changes here. So, the first step is to set a custom one here. (And not to worry - if you set a custom name in your graphic set, then use that graphic set with a single LVL file or an NXP that doesn't contain the custom sprites, NeoLemmix won't crash, it'll just revert to default sprites.)

For Flexi, I removed the existing custom lemming sprites option, and in its place put a new "custom data files" section which could be used to include any file you like in an NXP. We might see this do more in the future, but for now, its only purpose is really for the files for custom lemming sprites. When just modifying the default / xmas sprites, you only need to include the modified files. When adding a completely custom extra set, you must include every animation's graphic, plus the "XXXX_scheme.nxmi" file; masks are optional, you don't have to include blank ones for sprites that don't use it. (And likewise, you can use them even for sprites that don't have them in the default spritesets; just follow the same filenaming convention as the existing masks.)

You can get the default and xmas lemming graphics to use as a template here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsscyhj9mz2ubce/default_sprites.zip?dl=1

Everything should be fairly easy to understand, just ask me if it isn't. You don't need any special editor for the "XXXX_scheme.nxmi" file, it's plain text, just use Notepad or another text editor. I don't really want to write up a tutorial until this goes into stable. (By the way, when new-formats launches, custom lemming sprite files from here will be almost completely compatible - some file renaming will be needed but that's all.)

You can look at the "Notes.txt" file for a bit more info.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:29:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
Made a few more fixes to the player (V10.012.012:DA7A9B8): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyfkklznnsm7rd4/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-da7a9b8.exe?dl=1
Also made a fix to Flexi, so that it accepts the V10.012.XXX replays: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Another player update (V10.012.012:D8631CF): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz2lhs3n1x2a3eb/NeoLemmix-10-012-012-d8631cf.exe?dl=1

It should now fix all instances of the recoloring bomber explosion bug Crane reported (including one that slipped under the radar before related to zombies), as well as the white line on right side of minimap bug.

There's some stuff that needs further testing / fixing before any stable release, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
And another one (V10.012.012:C3E8D9D): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx6iupzd9aildea/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-c3e8d9d.exe?dl=1

The main new thing in this update is that if you put Flip, Invert or Rotate options on a one-way arrow object, the direction of its effect will change too. (EG: If you place a one-way-left arrow and set Horizontal Flip on it, it now acts as a one-way-right arrow.) This is partly to remove the opportunity for deceptive designs, but mostly to eliminate the need to design every direction seperately if it's just a flip / rotation of another direction's graphic. (After all, there are ways around being prevented from the "deceptive" design. I've already updated Lemmings Plus IV to account for this change.)

If you create a one-way-up arrow this way, it can only be destroyed by bombers.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
Yet another update. (V10.012.012:5328472): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj262phfp1r5q6o/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-5328472.exe?dl=1

This has the change to priority order for shruggers vs permanent-skill lemmings. It also fixes a bug where certain skills would be removed from the skillset if they had a zero initial count even if pickup skills for them exist (intended behaviour is they're only removed if they have a zero count and no pickup skills).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:11:05 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
Updated the experimental Flexi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

The most significant change is that the Talisman editor has now been integrated into Flexi itself, rather than a seperate app. This also means that if you reorder levels, the talismans will also update to reflect the new position. (However - do note that this only applies to the data, not the description. You'll have to update the description manually still.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
Updated the player again (V10.012.012:8E38A5F): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pld9egydjpldxz/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-8e38a5f.exe?dl=1

By default, the minimap is no longer displayed, and in its place are eight extra buttons: Fast Forward, Restart Level, Back One Frame, Forward One Frame, Clear Physics Mode, Directional Select Left, Directional Select Right and Load Replay.

If you prefer to have the minimap, there is an option to re-enable it (at the cost of not having these extra buttons) in the config menu (on the "Interface" tab). Do note that having the minimap disabled will probably also increase performance slightly, which might be helpful to those with weaker systems. (It isn't just hidden; when the buttons are there, the minimap rendering does not even occur in the background.)

If you do like the concept in general of having these buttons but want to suggest changes to what buttons are there, see this topic: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3106.0

Please note: NXPs containing custom skill panel graphics will need modifications to work with this new update. I have not yet updated Flexi to account for this, but will do so soon (including as close as possible to automatic conversion of old images). If used without the update, they will be functional but there may be minor graphical oddities on the skill panel (for the most part, the skill panel will simply revert to default graphics).

There is also another more minor but still nice change: When the game is paused, a white border appears around the Pause button, similar to the one around the selected skill. This also happens with the new Fast Forward, Clear Physics Mode and Directional Select buttons.

Known bug: Infinite skill count and locked icon for RR do not show up (just leaving a blank space instead). This is already fixed in the source code.
Known bug: If you click the Fast Forward button while the game is paused, the white outline appears around it even though the game is not in fast forward mode (even when you unpause, it will be at regular speed, but the outline will disappear at this point). I still need to fix this one, but it will be an easy fix.

Most existing content that's V10.011.XXX-compatible (or even V10.010.XXX-compatible) should work on these experimentals, except for the custom skill panel graphics not working. There is also a version of Lemmings Plus Omega II Demo specifically designed for use with this experimental; the content is the same as the normal version but it has the custom graphics in the correct format for this new version (and is marked as compatible with it).

Exceptions: Any packs that rely on VGASPECs will not work on this experimental (nor on the stable V10.012.XXX release); these now need to be updated to use tileset mixing instead. Any levels that contain flipped one-way arrow objects will also not work as is, as this now flips the direction of them rather than only the graphic. (For the record, all Lemmings Plus packs, and Doomsday Lemmings, are functionally compatible in their latest versions; but only the Omega II demo has the skill panel graphics correctly updated for this experimental.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:31:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
As promised, Flexi update is here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1

The backgrounds for the panels will need manual work. This is because previous versions expected them to have the black area for the skill count hard-drawn on them, while the new version expects it to not be hard-drawn on. This is almost impossible to alter automatically, so it must be done manually.

If you have custom graphics for the release rate, pause or nuke icons, this also must be handled manually. (EDIT: I have an idea of how to do this automatically, it's somewhat on the kludgy side but overall it should work. Will look into this tomorrow.)

The empty slot and minimap area graphics will be handled completely automatically, as will any renaming that may need to be done. This includes for masks.

If you want a copy of the default images, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uht82e3zju3pmmu/NeoLemmixCustomImages_Default.zip?dl=1
Those that are in the "files" subfolder will likewise need to go in the "files" subfolder (ie: load via the "Custom Data Files" option) when building an NXP. Those that are not go in the main folder, and can be loaded via the dedicated Custom Images menu. Some images have been removed from this list (but can still be replaced via the Custom Data Files option) because they are very rarely altered or are complicated to modify.
(When opening a pack that already contains custom images of these, Flexi will detect this and put them into the Custom Data Files section.)

Destructive skill masks are not included in the ZIP. The current version does allow overwriting them, but this is obviously not desirable, so the next update (whether experimental or stable) will prevent this. As such, there's not much point in trying to do so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:54:33 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 04:14:48 AM »
Player update V10.012.012:3654989.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsb5c85c2zx03yx/NeoLemmix_10-012-012-3654989.exe?dl=1

There's a lot of behind the scenes optimizations, but the one thing that's relevant to the end user: The L2, L3 and LPV graphic sets are now included. :)

I added some code so that if any L2-medieval levels use the old typo-containing name ("medival"), it will redirect them to the correctly-spelt name.

Known bug: Talisman graphics do not appear correctly.
Known bug: Replay mass check crashes when encountering a V10.012.XXX replay (it works fine on older replays).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:29:46 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
Player update V10.12.12:625639d. https://www.dropbox.com/s/76lwfcobj49r04z/NeoLemmix_10-12-12-625639d.exe?dl=1

As you can see, I've dropped the leading zeros from the core and feature version numbers.

This fixes the two known bugs mentioned in the above post, as well as a couple of bugs with assigning skills to highlit lemmings when the highlight hotkey isn't a mouse button. Also, it is now possible to turn the minimap on and off while in-game instead of having to exit and use the config menu (there is still an option in the config menu as well, but I'm really thinking that can probably be removed now).

I'm thinking this is probably just about ready for release now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, got a Flexi update too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/afuo5410ukbpinq/FlexiToolkit.exe?dl=1
This update fixes a few things with autoconversion of graphics from older packs.

Known missing feature: These versions still don't let you set a pack-wide lemming sprite specification other than Default or Xmas. This has already been fixed in the source code and will be possible in the stable version.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:50:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Experimental Player V10.12.13:7BCDAB5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i21yyn3yhk474h/NeoLemmix-10-12-13-7bcdab5.exe?dl=1

Should have the same compatibility with content as V10.12.12 does, unless the content hasn't been made correctly. (For example, Holiday GigaLems 2016 is known not to work on this version due to GigaLem including an incomplete version of the Xmas sprites, despite them being unmodified from the usual Xmas sprites in any way. The initial release of Colorful Arty's underwater graphic set also doesn't work due to a missing Cloner frame in the pickup skill, but he has released a fixed version.)

Aside from lots of behind-the-scenes tweaks that should give performance improvements, the changes here (relatively important ones are bolded):
- You can now assign a "Select Fencer" hotkey without having to manually modify the hotkeys INI file.
- If music is turned off via the Toggle Music hotkey then turned back on, it resumes from where it left off rather than restarting. (This can easily be reverted if people don't like this change.)
- Sound managing code has been entirely rewritten, so let me know if you encounter any sound-related bugs.
- Fixed bug: Trigger areas of objects with the "Only On Terrain" flag didn't show up in clear physics mode.
- Fixed bug: "Most Lemmings Saved" record was only saved on successful attempts.
- Fixed bug: "Fastest Time" record was based on the last lemming the player saved, not the last required lemming the player saved.
- The bugs relating to the weird way NL handles windowed mode are gone, which should greatly improve compatibility with Linux+WINE and "Window Capture" modes in recording software and negate the need for the "-alt" versions.
- Preview / postview texts can now have up to 21 lines instead of only 18.
- Talismans screen now displays 6 talismans per page instead of 5.
- Level select menu can now display 18 levels at a time instead of only 15.
- Preview screen now uses as much space as possible for the level preview image.
- Postview screen now shows previous lemmings saved records and best time.
- When starting NL on a Linux+WINE setup with Fullscreen mode enabled, NL asks if you'd like to switch to windowed mode; this is due to fullscreen mode not working on certain Linux desktop managers (Unity is known to have issues with fullscreen; LXDE appears to work fine; have not tested any others).

In regards to Fencer hotkeys, NL will try two different things to assign a default one: If none of the select skill hotkeys for the NeoLemmix-exclusive skills have been modified, it reassigns them such that 2 = Walker, 3 = Swimmer ... 9 = Fencer, 0 = Cloner (this is also the default hotkey setup for these skills now). If there are any modifications, but the 2 key is not assigned to anything, it will make 2 the Select Fencer hotkey. If neither of these options are suitable, it will not auto-assign a select Fencer hotkey.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
Experimental Player V10.12.15:CB40193.

http://new.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=21

The "Use Full Screen Area" option is now gone. This option is now treated as always on.
When in windowed mode, the window can now be manually resized. This will not affect the zoom setting while in-game, but rather, if the window is enlarged, a larger portion of the level (if applicable) will be shown. The window size cannot be reduced below 320x200 x (zoom setting), but it does not have to remain proportional.
Likewise, in full screen mode, the region that would simply be black borders in the current version will be used to show more of the level if possible.

If you have any suggestions for improving this, please post in this topic: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3137.0

EDIT: Replaced the DropBox download link with a more-standard one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:28:16 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Experimental Player V10.12.15:A48D1BE.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=74

The only change is that the "minimap scroll into oblivion" bug is fixed. The minimap is no more accurate than before, it just doesn't let you scroll outside the level boundaries.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
Experimental Player V10.12.15:56A6E5D.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=75

Still no improvements to the minimap, but a lot of improvements elsewhere!
> In-game, when the level does not use up the full height of the screen, the gameplay (including skill panel) is vertically centered rather than being anchored to the bottom of the screen.
> Fullscreen and Zoom are now seperate options, so you can play in fullscreen with a zoom less than "maximum that fits on your screen" if you want (in order to see more of the level at once).
> You can now use the mouse wheel (as in scrolling it up or down) as hotkeys.
> You can now zoom in and out during gameplay. By default, this function is mapped to the mouse wheel, but you can reconfigure it in the hotkeys menu.
> Switching between windowed and fullscreen no longer requires restarting NeoLemmix.
> Fixed a bug where a little bit at the bottom and right of the screen was cut off in menu screens when in windowed mode.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Experimental Player V10.12.15:4E1F70E.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=76

The minimap improvements are finally here. It's not optimal, but it's probably about as good as we're going to get without either drastic rewriting of the minimap (such as perhaps dynamic scaling like on the preview screen) or making the minimap region taller. Certianly, it works with the larger screen area much better than "keep using the old minimap code" does. :P

...not that a drastic overhaul of the minimap would be a bad idea, but that's probably going to require an overhaul of the skill / info panel as a whole in order to be practical.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:08:57 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:A4D0C6E.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=84

Core Changes
> Fencers will terminate after applying terrain removal if they aren't going to move upwards at least one pixel during their next two cycles; this check is not performed on the first cycle.
> Some fixes to the Bubble tileset.
> Slight change to Basher behaviour in a very specific set of circumstances, see this post for details.
> Should now be compatible with all PNG files that have transparency, rather than only 32-bit ones.

Features Changes
> Improved accuracy for Basher, Fencer and Miner shadows
> Blocker trigger areas are now shown in Clear Physics Mode
> The physics position of the selected lemming is now shown in Clear Physics Mode
> Custom postview screen jingles are now possible, by naming them "success" / "failure" respectively and including them as custom data files
> The user can now override the normal postview jingles with their own ones by placing files in a valid format named "success" / "failure" in the "music" folder
> Fixed the bug where the wrong cursor graphic would sometimes be displayed, especially while paused
> Fixed the bug which prevented saving images during gameplay
> Fixed the bug where Zombie levels always gave an "Undetermined" result on the mass replay tester
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »
Found a visual bug for Zombies that are walking into a trap.

Was testing Omega II and a Zombie walked into a bee trap (Fluffy 13). Upon activation the face + arms + legs of the Zombie were not drawn in the first few frames of the trap animation. Body + hair was drawn. Don't know if this bug is global for all traps, but should be worth checking out ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 04:57:14 AM »
Uploaded Player V10.13.16:f176ee2: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=85
Uploaded Flexi Toolkit V10.13.15:bf5ef25: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=86

These are related updates, because they introduce some new integration between each other (aside from just "Flexi marks the pack as V10.13.XX compatible"): In the player, if you run a mass replay check on a Flexi replays folder, it will update the data as to which replays pass and fail so you don't have to manually set it in Flexi.

But why stop half way? Flexi now has an option to run this mass test directly. Requires a compatible copy (such as this one) of NeoLemmix, of course. :)

For the more technically-capable people: If for any reason you're wanting to run the automatic mass replay test yourself, you can do it this way:

NeoLemmix.exe "<PATH_TO_NXP>" replaytest "<PATH_TO_REPLAYS_FOLDER>"

Note that both paths must be absolute; the path to the NXP must include the filename and extension of the NXP file, "replaytest" must be lowercase, and the replays path must have a trailing slash.

This is actually a feature I had hoped to introduce earlier (I somewhat attempted to introduce this in, IIRC, the initial V10.11.XX updates, but never got it working well enough for it to even appear in any experimentals, let alone stables), but the way mass replay checks worked before made it nearly impossible to implement correctly. Thanks to the new mass replay check menu, which is entirely seperate from the normal in-game mode, it was much easier to do now. :)

There are no other changes from the previous experimental (player) / current stable (Flexi).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:08:26 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
Haven't yet uploaded an experimental for it, but I've just made a few tweaks that hugely improve the speed of the mass replay test.

I ran a test of 93 replays on Lemmings Plus Omega (my intended solutions, a few talisman solutions, a few backroute replays, and a few solutions by other people) using both the most recent experimental version, and a version with these new changes. I expected the new changes would make an improvement on the order of cutting the time taken by 10% or so. In practice, the time was cut by nearly 50%. :D

To be precise, on the old version it took 2mins 48secs to run the check; on the new version it took 1min 29secs. Turning "smooth resampling in menus" off (which reduces the processing time for updating the "seconds taken so far" display) even further improved this, to the point where running this check of 93 replays - three of which exceed 10 minutes game-time in duration - took less than a minute. While if I'm not mistaken this is still extremely slow compared to Lix, this is a HUGE improvement from the days when a NeoLemmix mass replay check could easily take upwards of ten minutes to execute on larger packs, and even a noticable improvement over previous recent NL versions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:41:55 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:8F04C44.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=87

Feature changes
- Various performance improvements - mass replay checker in particular is considerably faster.
- It is now possible to zoom in a bit further via in-game zooming than before.
- Minimap and extra buttons are now always both displayed.
- Minimap accuracy and user-friendliness greatly improved.
- Added an option for "high quality minimap", this gives much better detail but can cause considerable performance hits. It is on by default.
- Zombies now show up as red on the minimap.

Bug fixes
- If in-game zooming is used to go to a zoom low enough that the level area is narrower than the skill panel, it is impossible to move the mouse to the outer parts of the skill panel.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:328A0FA.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=89

Core Changes
- Fixed the bug that prevented unlocking any talisman that has a Fencer limit

Features Changes
- Fixed the scrolling down bug
- Removed the minimum level size
- Added an option to increase initial zoom when playing a level on small levels*
- Increased the maximum supported zoom (depends on screensize, anywhere from max 5x on a 320x200 screen, to max 14x on a 4K display)
- Allowed configuring default zoom to anything up to the maximum that'll be allowed when in-game
- Smooth menu resizing is turned off while running a mass replay check (this improves speed noticably)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:52:29 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
It seems that the squared cursor bug (when the game is paused) still persists at random while you pass the cursor over a working lemming, in certain directions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
Will look into this. I'm currently working on other stuff relating to the user interface anyway (mostly behind-the-scenes stuff that tidies up the code), so I'll likely be rewriting the handling of the cursor anyway.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
Experimental Editor V10.13.13:0C6E1FA.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=90

Put the EXE in the directory of an existing installation. Please note the V10.13.13 changes to tilesets (Bubble in particular) are not included.

Changes:
- The options for Fencers in skillsets / as pickup skills are no longer hidden.
- No longer enforces a 320x160 minimum level size (this does however remain the default size).
- Screen start position is now based on center of screen, rather than topleft corner. The display of the screen start position has been changed to account for this.

Please note, Fencers may still have physics changes while development of the next update continues. Do not create levels using them if you are not prepared to possibly have to make changes later. Also, levels that use Fencers require NeoLemmix V10.12.XX or higher.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:14:28 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
Experimental Flexi V10.13.15:D2C0E8B.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=91

Changes:
- Flexi will not allow you to use the Replay Manager or build an NXP while you have two levels with the same level ID, unless it's literally two copies of the same level (eg. as a filler level in development versions). This is due to issues that the Replay Manager and Mass Replay Tester have when level ID duplicates exist within a pack. *
- You can now add replays to the replay manager by simply putting them in the "replays" folder while Flexi is not running, then opening your pack. Replays added this way will always be set to unclassified, not up to date and not successful, making them stand out a bit more.
- Similarly, you can remove replays in the same way, by simply deleting the file while Flexi is not running then opening your pack (in previous versions, this would result in errors).
- Added an option to delete all failed replays. (Useful in conjuction with the option to run a mass test directly from Flexi.)
- Fixed a bug with auto-fixing filename conflicts when using the "Rename replays based on their classifications" option.
- Fixed a bug where the Error Checker would report some styles that don't need to be built into NXPs, as missing. (L2 / L3 / LPV styles)
- Fixed a bug where the Error Checker, when checking for presence / absence of styles, would only look at the level's primary tileset rather than other ones that are used in it.

* I welcome any suggestions on how to address this in a way that makes Flexi auto-fix the problem, while still keeping consistency. (IE: If it was to fix the level, then you reimport the level from an external copy later, it would give it the same ID when re-fixing the issue. Obviously this cannot be perfect, but it should be based on something that's unlikely to change - perhaps the level's title?)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
Experimental Editor V10.13.13:95AEBD3.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=95

Changes:
- Missing pieces will be replaced with placeholder ones instead of acting glitchy when loading a level.
- Fixed a bug that may cause access violations when saving levels. (This bug is only present in the previous experimental, and not in the stable version.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:43:22 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:3256064.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=98

Not much new stuff that's overly visible, but quite a lot of behind the scenes work. Let me know if you notice any bugs. The skill panel works a tad better now (for example, the issue with the replay indicator not changing between blue and red while paused is fix); I've actually rewritten a significant portion of its code.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:788B9C0.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=100

Fixed the bug that was causing crashes on levels with zombie-spawning hatches. Have not yet fixed the related bug that causes the "lemmings to spawn" and "alive lemmings" counters to include not-yet-spawned zombies on such levels; I've only prevented it from crashing on such levels.

Also done more behind the scenes changes. Let me know if there are any issues in particular with frameskips, pause or fast forward.

Also, for a long time now, NeoLemmix has made changes at runtime such as "If the level only has preplaced lemmings and no windows, set the lemming count to however many preplaced lemmings there are". These were previously only done when the level's preview screen was loaded, so (for example) they'd be skipped entirely when dumping LVL files. This is no longer the case; the fix is immediately applied when the level is loaded.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:56:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:CCB90A0.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=101

Fixed the following bugs:
- Weird stuff might happen if a level had a number of preplaced lemmings greater than the lemming count.
- Infinite skills were treated as having a quantity of 100.
- Athlete info cannot be made to appear for lemmings performing certain actions.
- Lemming blink and timer blink not working.
- Lemming blink and timer blink's blinking pauses when the game is paused.
- Sketches show up during gameplay.
- Lemmings to spawn and lemmings alive display wrong numbers in levels with zombie-spawning hatches.

Added the following feature:
- In clear physics mode, the level border will be colored red.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:9387328.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=103

Fixes the following bugs:
- Objects are invisible in Clear Physics Mode.
- Upon completing a level while the "Auto-Save Replays" option is active, the game crashes.
- Fencer sketches are visible if left in a level.
- Sound panning does not work correctly.

Adds the following features:
- Save state now works more like an actual save state, rather than just "remember frame number" and "jump to remembered frame number".
- Can assign a hotkey to jump to previous skill assignment. ( Default key is [ )
- Can assign a hotkey to jump to the next shrugger. ( Default key is ] )
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
Adds the following features:
- Save state now works more like an actual save state, rather than just "remember frame number" and "jump to remembered frame number".
- Can assign a hotkey to jump to previous skill assignment. ( Default key is [ )
- Can assign a hotkey to jump to the next shrugger. ( Default key is ] )

Well, [ and ] is not working for me as to type these I need a key combination (Alt Gr + 8 or 9). I've changed the layout to Page Up + Down and that works as expected.
By assigning the new keys they are labeled as "Time Skip: Jump X frames to Previous Assignment" and "Time Skip: Jump X frames to Previous Assignment to next shrugger" and this description doesn't seem right to me as the default hotkeys are labeled as "Release Mouseskip to previous Assignment" and "Release Mouseskip to previous AssignmentSkip to previous Assignment" which is just as confusing! :P

I think there is still something fishy here with the descriptions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Found the cause of this and fixed it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »
When moving from V10.12 to the experimental version, I enounter the following problems with the options:
1) Despite having selected windowed mode with 3x zoom in V10.12, the experimental version starts with fullscreen.
2) When I disable full-screen in the experimental version, the window shrinks to 945x196 pixels! There is no way at all to enlarge the window again, apart from changing the .ini file directly.
3) I then disabled smooth resampling, kept 3x zoom and manually set the window size to 960x600 (which is even a few pixels larger than 3x zoom in V10.12 for some reason). When starting a level in the experimental version, the skill bar is now only zoomed to 2x, not 3x. Instead I get an unused black border at the top and bottom of the screen.
I attached my V10.12 option file. Screen resolution is 1366x768.

Moreover I want to mention that even the menus get noticable slower when using smooth resampling. I can even count the number of fade-out frames when exiting the game.

PS: Why is "MusicVolume=100" in my option .ini file, when I have disabled music and the volume counter for music is set to the very left edge in the options menu?

EDIT: Added point 3) above.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:18:26 AM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
1. Will look into config issues when migrating from 10.12.
2. This is a bug. It should shrink to (not including borders / title bar) 960x600 in this example (formula is still highest multiple of 320x200 that fits on screen). However, there is a way to enlarge it: click and drag on the borders, like with any program. ;) (If this isn't working, that would be a bug.)
3. The skill bar's zoom is not tied to the level area's zoom completely. Even if you adjust the zoom lower via in-game zooming, the skill bar will never shrink below what you've set as your zoom setting. And the skill bar won't be zoomed to a larger size than can fit in the window. (In the case that these conflict, the "won't be larger than..." rule has priority, for obvious reasons.) If you're using a 960x600 window, there is not enough space to fit the skill panel at a 3x zoom. Your window would need to be at least 1248px wide, and at least a certain value which I don't remember exactly tall (120 + a certain amount more to display at least some level area, I don't remember what I set the minimum as).
Black borders, this means the skill panel + level, at the current zoom settings, isn't enough to cover the full available space. There is an option - which should be on by default, can be turned off, but looks like I may have forgotten to actually have written to the INI file so in current exp you'd have to turn it off again each time - that will, at the start of a level, set the zoom such that it's as high as possible without any vertical scrolling, with the exception that this setting will not set a zoom lower than the one you have configured in the config menu (you can still manually in-game-zoom out further, of course). However, with the setup you've got, zooming the level area (I'm assuming a level with a height of 160px here) to 4x would result in vertical scrolling, but zooming it to 3x does not completely fill the screen area. Discussion with someone else (IIRC, IchoTolot) lead to the decision to prefer black borders over vertical scrolling for this setting, as well as to only pay attention to whether vertical scrolling will be involved rather than both directions.

Smooth resampling - this depends on how powerful your PC is, which is also why there's an option to turn it off. On mine, the slowdown is only just noticable. Around the time I added the smooth resampling, I also modified the fade code to try and improve performance (at the cost of a slight bit of quality). I have an idea on how I might be able to improve this, which should help.

Music volume - because the new version tracks "what volume should the music play at" and "is the music on or off" seperately, although the settings aren't exposed as seperate ones in the config menu. In memory - and in the INI file - however, these options are seperate. This is so that, for example, if you turn music off in-game then turn it back on, the volume stays the same, without the need for a seperate "stored volume" variable.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:58:25 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
3. The skill bar's zoom is not tied to the level area's zoom completely. Even if you adjust the zoom lower via in-game zooming, the skill bar will never shrink below what you've set as your zoom setting. And the skill bar won't be zoomed to a larger size than can fit in the window. (In the case that these conflict, the "won't be larger than..." rule has priority, for obvious reasons.) If you're using a 960x600 window, there is not enough space to fit the skill panel at a 3x zoom. Your window would need to be at least 1248px wide, and at least a certain value which I don't remember exactly tall (120 + a certain amount more to display at least some level area, I don't remember what I set the minimum as).
I don't understand this. In V10.12 zooming it to 3x worked perfectly fine in 960x600, so why do I need 1248 now?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
I don't understand this. In V10.12 zooming it to 3x worked perfectly fine in 960x600, so why do I need 1248 now?

Because the skill panel is now wider (extra buttons and minimap are both always visible, and minimap is taller).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
Now I have to decide whether I want a skillbar with too small buttons or a too wide game screen that often has black borders at the sides and uses too much of the whole screen space.
I prefer the following rule:
- In the following "desired zoom" denotes the zoom level as specified by the player, or if there is not enough vertical space to display the skill bar in that zoom, it denotes the maximal zoom level that still fits.
- If the new skill bar fits into the game screen area in the desired zoom, then use the new skill bar.
- If the new skill bar would be too large, then use the previous skill bar, where the player can swap between minimap and additional buttons.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
You do have a third choice - vertical scrolling, by setting the initial zoom higher (or just manually zooming in). :P And this may not be as much of a burden with the improved minimap, especially if you use high quality minimap (although it's quite possible that if your PC doesn't handle smooth resizing in menus well, it won't handle high-quality minimap too well either, especially on larger levels).

In regards to switching skill panels - this could be tricky to implement. Since it's possible to both resize and re-zoom during gameplay, this could lead to situations where the skill panel needs to change between the two modes during gameplay (or alternatively, a system where regardless of resizing it won't change until gameplay is exited and re-entered), which would both be particularly tricky to implement and could be annoying to players - they might not want to have to choose between minimap or extra buttons, or to have a less-tall minimap region, just because they zoomed in. A config option to choose between switchable or everything-at-once skill panel may be more practical, though this still requires supporting both skill panel types.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:304937E.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=104

Changes:
- Fixed the bug where NL always goes into fullscreen mode if loading a config file from an older version (at least on actual Windows; while not tested, based on the code I suspect this bug would not occur under Linux+WINE*).
- Fixed the bug where the special skips (to previous assignment / to next shrugger) have weird lables in the hotkey config menu.
- Fixed the bug where part of the skill panel may end up outside the window when the window is resized to a smaller size during gameplay.
- Fixed the bug where the window's vertical size is much smaller than it should be when exiting fullscreen mode.
- Various performance improvements; in particular, the fadeout when leaving a screen should have much better performance now, even on weak PCs with the Smooth Resampling option on.

* For those wondering how a bug could possibly manifest on actual Windows, but not on WINE: NL can detect if it's running under WINE, and due to fullscreen mode sometimes having issues with certain Linux desktop managers (in particular, with Ubuntu's default one), NL's default setting when under WINE is windowed, whereas under true Windows the default is fullscreen. The cause of the bug wasn't that NL was "always going to fullscreen", but rather that when loading an older-version config file, if the file said windowed mode, NL would set fullscreen mode to the default value, rather than to "off". Based on the code, I'm fairly sure the reverse would not occur - IE: if the config file said "yes, fullscreen mode", then NL would indeed set fullscreen to on (regardless of default) - hence the final result being a bug that manifests under true Windows but not under WINE.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
Experimental Editor V10.13.13:D0BE595.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=105

Changes:
- Window order editing has been removed. This should now be achieved by overlapping windows. When loading a level that uses window ordering, it will automatically be adjusted to use overlapping instead.

(The Player will also have the same compatibility workaround in the future - already does in the source code, just haven't yet included it in an experimental build.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
Now I don't see any skill bar at all in V10.13.16:304937E, with 3x zoom and screen size 1248x600.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:304937E.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=104

Changes:
- Fixed the bug where NL always goes into fullscreen mode if loading a config file from an older version (at least on actual Windows; while not tested, based on the code I suspect this bug would not occur under Linux+WINE*).
- Fixed the bug where the special skips (to previous assignment / to next shrugger) have weird lables in the hotkey config menu.
- Fixed the bug where part of the skill panel may end up outside the window when the window is resized to a smaller size during gameplay.
- Fixed the bug where the window's vertical size is much smaller than it should be when exiting fullscreen mode.
- Various performance improvements; in particular, the fadeout when leaving a screen should have much better performance now, even on weak PCs with the Smooth Resampling option on.

on this experimental release: the glitch where when you tab out and back to the player black spots appear on the skill bar has returned.

Also; scrolling when putting your mouse at the edge of the screen is glitchy. it seems you can't scroll on the screen border when paused, or you can but it's glitchy. It's only scrolling when you click to advance frames.
I'm using windowed mode x4 zoom

>>If it's intended that you can't scroll when paused; I don't like that idea at all.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
>>If it's intended that you can't scroll when paused; I don't like that idea at all.
This is a known bug, cf. http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3202.0. Disable the high-quality minimap for now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:4308379.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=107

Changes:
- Fixed many bugs relating to screen graphics not updating when paused (including the one affecting scrolling).
- Fixed the bug where NeoLemmix goes into paused mode after loading a replay.
- Fixed the bug where NeoLemmix does not always pause after loading a saved state.
- Fixed the bug where the skill panel button for "go back one frame" goes back two frames instead.
- Fixed the bug where the seconds in the "your time" / "best time" on the postview screen don't have leading zeros.
- Fixed the bug where changes to the Increase Initial Zoom On Small Levels setting on the config menu are not saved.
- Fixed the bug where the Increase Initial Zoom On Small Levels setting treats all levels as if they're exactly 160px tall, unless they're smaller than that.
- Not a total fix, but have slightly reduced the severity of memory leaks that eg. may lead to issues with mass-replay-testing in packs that use a large variety of graphic sets.
- Added a button in the config menu to download all available graphic sets from the NeoLemmix website.
- The back/forward one frame buttons on the skill panel can now be right-clicked for a one-second skip, or middle-clicked for a 5-second skip.
- Custom window order support has been removed. A workaround has been implemented for existing levels that use this feature, which may result in minor graphical oddities but should not have any functional differences from the existing versions of the level, provided the option was not misused (eg. it will give weird behaviour on levels that have non-window objects listed in the custom window order).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:564425C.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=108

Changes:
- Fixed bug: Skill panel does not show up if the initial zoom when playing a level (either due to user's setting or due to the "Increase Initial Zoom" option) is equal to the skill panel's max zoom, even if the zoom is changed.
- Fixed bug: A "selected lemming" may exist when the mouse cursor is outside the gameplay area (eg. on the skill panel).
- Fixed bug: Minimap white rectangle does not update when using minimap-scrolling while paused.
- Fixed bug: Replay mass check may crash on level packs with too large a variety of graphic sets.
- Physics change: Receivers now operate based on a single point, not a region. All included graphic sets have been updated to account for this except L2-Space and L3-Shadow.
- When starting NeoLemmix for the first time (on a technical level: if no config INI file is present), an initial setup menu will appear. Currently this only allows choosing between the default hotkey layout or a Lix-like layout, but I plan to expand this in the future (probably before V10.13.16's stable release).

Please note - when using test mode with the editor, NL uses the editor's copy of the graphic set, which still has the old trigger areas for receivers. Test by directly running a LVL file (or an NXP), with no copy of the graphic set in the "styles" folder that could interfere.
My Lemmings projects

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:20 AM »
Retesting replays for all levels featuring teleporters is recommended after this update. Any levels that also require very specific timings with them may have broken as well, so be sure to check. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
If this change is now avialable -- prepare soon for the planned changes to my tilesets as I will implement them with the receiver change rather than the format change.
(Just waiting for a pm answer then I will get to work ;))

Dune and L2 Space will be affected by the teleporter change.

EDIT: The removal of the huge Object in the Egyptian style will have to wait for the format change though.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:20:27 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
Retesting replays for all levels featuring teleporters is recommended after this update. Any levels that also require very specific timings with them may have broken as well, so be sure to check.

Definitely needed for levels with teleporters; most other levels should not be affected. Compared to the stable version, there are some minor differences in Fencer physics and in the Bubble tileset.

Compared to the previous experimental, the only change is the teleporter physics.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
It seems like the teleporter thing is currently bugged: I changed my trigger areas and now the lems are spawning into the ground. Even raising the recievers 1x1 trigger area is not working (that's where I suppose the lem should spawn).

I suppose it's because my teleporter trigger is 1 pixel under the object itself as it's supposed to be placed right on the ground and not 1 pixel into the ground. The lem's spawn position in the receiver however should only be depending on the 1x1 pixel that was chosen and not depending on the teleporter at all. ---> for a receiver placed directly onto the terrain the 1x1 area should be 1 pixel under the object.

I noticed an error :-[   Forget my comment here ;P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:24:05 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
This time I found a bug for real ;)

The speciality here: A level that uses fake receivers as decoration.

In the attached level if you enter clear physics mode and hover over a fake receiver NL will spit out errors like crazy and can only be closed via task manager.

This happens even in the stable version after a little chack, but there NL is able to bounce back into the main menu.

Suggestion: Fix the crash and let "Fake" appear over fake objects (not only receivers) in clear physics mode.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
The intended behavior is actually slightly different: Fake objects (or non-paired teleporters/receivers) should not be displayed at all in clear physics mode as they have no impact on the game physics. Last time I checked, this worked at least for objects that had the fake flag set, disabled traps and spent one-kill traps. I don't remember checking non-paired receivers though, so the bug might be older.
In more technical terms, the trigger effect of fake objects should be set to DOM_NONE (i.e. no effect) and then the clear physics mode should not display any no-effect objects. At the moment I don't know yet which of the two steps contains the bug.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
The intended behavior is actually slightly different: Fake objects (or non-paired teleporters/receivers) should not be displayed at all in clear physics mode as they have no impact on the game physics. Last time I checked, this worked at least for objects that had the fake flag set, disabled traps and spent one-kill traps. I don't remember checking non-paired receivers though, so the bug might be older.
In more technical terms, the trigger effect of fake objects should be set to DOM_NONE (i.e. no effect) and then the clear physics mode should not display any no-effect objects. At the moment I don't know yet which of the two steps contains the bug.

After reading your statement I had an idea and checked the not used receivers again: They are simply not connected to anything and they are not fake. Most likely, because some time ago I was unsure if the fake attribute were to stay and this way it still worked --- true physics came out after that. But still this causing a crash is not optimal --- not connected receivers should simply be handled as"fake" or "no effect".

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
Yes, sorry. Whenever I wrote about fake objects, I wanted to include non-paired teleporters/receivers. But clearly I failed miserably at this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:2B55877.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=109

This update is to fix one particularly major bug in the previous one; that actions (even those from the replay) would not be assigned correctly if the mouse was over the skill panel at the time. This was the cause of the weird behaviour such as described in this bug report. As a side effect, it also fixes the bug where highlight key + left click to assign skills to a highlit lemming wasn't working.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
Experimental Player V10.13.16:A6968F8.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=112

Changes:
- Fixed bug: The "Disable Background Images" option also disables background colors.
- Fixed bug: The remainder of a replay is erased if certain actions (particularly skill assignments) fail for any reason.
- Fixed bug: Clear physics mode does not show the trigger point for receivers.
- Fixed bug: Receivers with no matching teleporter will crash the game if moused over in Clear Physics Mode (in fact, they should not have shown up at all).
- Fixed some bugs related to the cursor and selected lemmings.
- Implemented the option for Mac-style music rotation. This is not automatically applied to existing packs. (New version of Flexi is needed to set this option.)
- The Edit Replay popup now displays the current frame.
- Automatic replay saving will no longer save a duplicate replay if you load a replay and watch it without making any changes.
- Removed the debug options in the config menu.
- Some behind-the-scenes improvements relating to save file handling.

Experimental Flexi Toolkit V10.13.15:47162FE.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=111

Changes:
- Fixed bug. An error message occurs and the pack must be re-loaded manually after running a replay mass test from Flexi.
- Removed the options to enable debug modes, since NeoLemmix no longer supports them.
- Added an option for Mac-style music rotation. This will not be automatically enabled on existing packs, but it is the default setting for new packs.

Please also note, I have removed the downloads for a lot of the older V10.13.16 experimentals from the NeoLemmix website. If for some reason you need a copy of one of these, please ask me or Nepster to compile it from the source code (if you're not able to do so yourself). The two builds prior to the one in this post remain available for download.

At this stage, I think we're not too far from (FINALLY!) being able to have a V10.13.16 stable release. At least off the top of my head, the only remaining things I want to do first are:
- Implement Proxima's suggestion of click-and-hold for the skill panel frameskip buttons
- (Possibly) ensure all default graphic sets have trigger areas consistent with a set of conventions, rather than somewhat arbitrary
- A few more fixes to the default graphic sets (some receiver trigger areas aren't quite where they should be, currently)
- More testing, of course
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:57:11 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
Experimental GSTool V10.13.14:D162CD2.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=113

Changes:
- No longer allows setting a trigger area size for receivers.
- Added an option to import piece names from another graphic set. (This was mostly to fix that I had copies which were newer versions but lacked names as well as copies which were older versions but had them; I've left it in in case anyone else finds it useful.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
At this stage, I think we're not too far from (FINALLY!) being able to have a V10.13.16 stable release. At least off the top of my head, the only remaining things I want to do first are:
- Implement Proxima's suggestion of click-and-hold for the skill panel frameskip buttons
- (Possibly) ensure all default graphic sets have trigger areas consistent with a set of conventions, rather than somewhat arbitrary
- A few more fixes to the default graphic sets (some receiver trigger areas aren't quite where they should be, currently)
- More testing, of course
You forgot:
- Re-Implement the V10.12 skill bar layout (possibly using the new minimap design inside the minimap) for windowed mode, cf. http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3203.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
^ I'm going to release a stable release with only the new skillpanel first, to get wider feedback. If there's widespread demand for the old panel after that, I will implement it again in V10.(13/14).17.

Anyway, new Player experimental, V10.13.16:787488D. This will probably be the last V10.13.16 experimental before a stable release (unless major bugs are found); it may even end up being identical (except for being marked as "experimental") to the stable release, as the primary reason to not make a stable release yet is that the associated tools and official game conversion NXPs aren't completely ready yet.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=114

Changes from previous experimental:
- Fixed bug: Miners can somewhat destroy one-way-down arrows (similar to steel glitching in DOS L1).
- Fixed bug: Receivers with 0x0 trigger areas have weird behaviour.
- Fixed bug: Replays that time out during a mass test after the goal is reached would be marked as "Undetermined" rather than "Pass".
- Fixed bug: Invisible and/or fake windows can cause error messages or incorrect spawn locations, especially if both occur in the same level.
- Fixed bug: If a constructive skill (except Stoner) pixel is added at an off-screen position, it will visually (but not physics-wise) wrap around to the other side instead of being discarded.
- Includes the latest versions of IchoTolot's L2 style conversions.
- It is now possible to use the skill panel framestep buttons by clicking and holding (only applies to the one-frame skips, not the one-second / five-second skips).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
I forgot to mention two bugs I found yesterday:
1) If a replay directory for a level pack does not exist yet and one wants to save a replay, then the player displays an error message about not being able to find the directory. If one then creates the directory by hand, everything works fine.
2) I played an old version of the ONML-pack, namely from V10.10. Each time when I start a level, the player generates an error with the ingenious error message "0", before starting the level correctly. I can certainly live with having error messages when loading old level packs (though of course I would prefer that everything works fine), but then the error message should be a lot more descriptive than just "0".

And I am very, very sad that the new version makes a huge step backwards regarding the skill panel in windowed mode. :'(

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
Okay, I spoke too soon. Here's another exp player build.

Experimental Player V10.13.16:63cd48d.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=115

Changes:
- Fixed bug: Manually saving replays on the postview screen fails when using automatic filenames, unless the folder for the pack in question already exists.
- Fixed bug: Mac-style rotation always occurs on newer packs, even if the NXP specifies not to use it.
- Fixed bug: On older (but still compatible) NXPs, primarily those built for V10.10, a message box simply saying "0" pops up every time a level is started.
- Fixed bug: Skill panel zoom may cap at a lower value than it should.
- Added a "Compact Skill Panel" option which sacrificies the extra buttons (except Fast Forward) to instead give a smaller - or thus, more-zoomable - skill panel.
- If the config file has an unrecognized option in it, this option will be preserved when re-saving settings.
- Removed the April 1st rickroll prank.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
Okay, and here's the accompanying experimentals for the other tools. These are pretty much release candidates now; if no issues are reported (or when all reported issues are fixed), it'll be time for the stable versions. Generally, no further features will be added before the next stable release, unless they're extremely simple.

Editor V10.13.13:2a1543e: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=117
NOTE: Includes graphic sets as some have been updated. If you have a customized styles.ini file, do not overwrite it when extracting.

Changes:
- Fixed bug: When changing terrain pieces or objects to a different piece, there will also be an effect on the other type of piece if the current selection includes both types.
- Updated versions of some of the included graphic sets.
- VGASPEC support has been fully stripped.

Flexi V10.13.15:1983844: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=118

Changes:
- Removed the "Hidden" type for talismans.

GSTool V10.13.14:2465bbb: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=119

Changes:
- Fixed a bug where, when editing an existing graphic set, receivers may sometimes be saved with their existing trigger area size instead of 1x1 (causing NeoLemmix to think the set hasn't been upgraded and ultimately giving weird spawn locations when exiting the receiver).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Two more bugs in the current experimental version:
1) If you do a backwards frameskip beyond the start of the level while paused, the screen does not update correctly and still displays the previous situation instead of the initial state with a closed hatch. This is a purely display-related bug, because the actual physics are fine. In case this makes a difference: I disabled any of the high-quality imaging (for menus, level screen and minimap) and use windowed mode.
2) While using the compact skill panel, the timer and the lemmings count always start to blink, regardless of the options chosen in the menu.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
1) Both based on the code and testing if I can reproduce it (without changing to match your settings), I don't think many (if any) settings would affect it. I can certianly reproduce this bug in fullscreen, with the full-size skill panel and high quality minimap.
2) Again, the options don't seem to matter here, I can reproduce this bug on the full-size panel.

Will get a fix sorted later tonight.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
Here another bug: When traing to load the level Tough 5 of nin10doadict's "Lemmings Squared", NeoLemmix (in the current experimental version) crashes with the error message:
ObtainObject loop on "bubble:17". Please report this.
Bug is reported, my duty done, and have fun ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
All recent experimentals have been taken down as a stable release has now been made. If a copy of them is needed for some reason, please compile it from the git repo, or if you can't, ask me to do so and send it to you.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Player V10.13.17:bfe87e5.

NeoLemmix website is acting up (on the upload side) at the moment, so here's a Dropbox link for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz97432n61i3awi/NeoLemmix_10-13-17_bfe87e5.exe?dl=1

Changes:
- Fixed bug: Red (or blue) "R" may appear on skill panel when making release rate changes while paused.
- Added support for a "hold to scroll" hotkey. The key is "A" by default (or "J" in the Lix-like setup).
- Added an option to toggle whether moving the mouse to the edge of the screen scrolls or not. Default setting is that it does.
- General improvements to the code.

This experimental is 100% content / physics compatible with V10.13.16-B.
My Lemmings projects

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
(or "J" in the Lix-like setup).

You asked earlier what players would expect more on RMB: hold-to-scroll or priority invert. My answer was that I didn't know, at least Icho wouldn't use either.

If only one makes it into the default layout, I'll recommend hold-to-scroll on RMB over priority invert on RMB. Reasoning: It's more common to scroll than to assign super-precisely.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2017, 12:31:53 AM »
Putting it on J for now was simply a matter of "Find any key that's still free". The current key assignment, especially for the Lix like setup, is not finalized.

Right now, I'm more interested in how people find the function itself.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »
Experimental player V10.13.17:148ddd6 released.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=147

Changes:
- Skill panel code has been almost entirely rewritten by Nepster. Please report any skill panel related bugs you discover, no matter how minor, especially if they don't exist in the current stable version.
- Fixed bug from previous experimental: Release rate changes done with the mouse while paused happen way too fast.
- Probably fixed bug: OGG musics without looping information may loop incorrectly in some cases, exact cause unknown.
- Probably fixed bug: NeoLemmix may crash if the mouse is clicked during a fadeout transition.
- Fixed bug: Click-hold for framestepping not working.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:10:27 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
Here's an exciting one!

Experimental player V11.14.19 released. "Whoa, the 10 changed?!" Yes, that's right - because this is the first public new-formats experimental I'm releasing!

Be warned - this version is definitely NOT suitable for general usage at this point. Even if you're the type to usually prefer using the newest experimentals rather than stable versions, this version is not suitable for that. It's suitable for those who want to help test for bugs or missing features (many of these are already known, but if you're not sure, report it anyway - the worst that can happen is you get a response of "we already know about that"), or those who are curious about how the new-formats version might work. And it is definitely not suitable for use for trying to create serious content - file formats may change without warning, and without assistance given to converting affected files. Any content created should be low-quality test stuff only. :)

I've included tools for converting graphic sets and NXPs*, but haven't given much information on how to use them. Figure it out, or ask for anything you're not sure on. (For the NXP convertor in particular, note that you must drag-and-drop the NXP you wish to convert onto the "NXPConvert.exe" file itself.) Graphic sets for conversion can be accompanied by a text file with extra information for the conversion tool to use; rather than explain anything (ask if you have questions) I've simply attached the text files for the default styles to this post. Please note that these tools will NOT work if they're moved to somewhere other than the NeoLemmix folder (actually, the graphic set convertor might, but I make no promises; the NXP convertor definitely won't, as it relies on many of NeoLemmix's data files). Also - if the NXP you want to convert uses any graphic sets that aren't already included, you'll need to convert those first.

If you'd rather not mess around with converting stuff yourself, I've already included copies of all the official games, all of my level packs, and MazuLems; and all the graphic sets that are usually included with NeoLemmix. Please do note that this version currently does not support LVL files; it will only work with levels in the NXLV format. I do not intend to drop LVL file support; I just still need to implement it properly with the new level system.

* Somewhat. It only really converts the levels and most of the system texts, including pre-level / post-level texts. It currently doesn't handle eg. custom skill panel graphics, even though this version of NeoLemmix itself does support this.

So, in short:
- Do not use this version for general use purposes, even if you're the kind of person who normally does that with experimentals
- Do not try to create content for this version, except for low-quality stuff for the purpose of testing
- Do report any bugs or missing features you find, unless you're 100% sure that we already know about it. Do so in the Bugs & Suggestions board, and make sure to mention your bug / suggestion report relates to the new-formats experimentals.
- Do feel free to download it and take a look at how it works. Most of the data files (any with extensions that being with ".nx") are plain text, and can be opened in any text editor.
- You may make suggestions, but they'll generally be lower-priority than just getting things working in general, unless they're either very good, or very easy to implement (or best of all, both)
- LVL files currently cannot be used with this version (except by converting them through the NXP conversion tool), you'll need to use NXLV levels

So, here's the download link! Enjoy!

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=150

Nepster has been working on a level editor which can work with NXLV files directly, but it's up to him if / when he wants to release it (I have very little to do with that project). There is currently no Flexi or GSTool equivalent for new formats; those things must currently be done by hand, but tools will come in the future, probably before any stable new-formats release.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:05:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »
Will the custom menu graphics such as the custom menu background and text be removed (as I've noticed in Lemmings Plus V)? I personally wouldn't want this. :(

Also, when pressing F2 at the level preview screen, it gives me a List Index Out of Bounds (0) error. It should not do this, but instead re-open the level select / pack selection menu.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
Will the custom menu graphics such as the custom menu background and text be removed (as I've noticed in Lemmings Plus V)? I personally wouldn't want this. :(

No. Support has already been restored since this experimental was uploaded.

Also, when pressing F2 at the level preview screen, it gives me a List Index Out of Bounds (0) error. It should not do this, but instead re-open the level select / pack selection menu.

This is a bug.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
Another new-formats experimental, V11.14.19:6cd5881, with a few more things working than last time. :) Same guidelines still apply though.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=151

Changes:
- Mass replay checker is working again. Note that you'll need to currently be in the level pack you wish to run a test for.
- It is possible to manually add packs / levels to the level selection menu, these will be remembered between sessions. (There is currently no way to remove them aside from manually editing the save data file.) This even includes DOS / Lemmix DAT level packs, although these will be converted to NXLV files rather than loaded directly from the DAT.
- LVL files are supported again.
- Custom menu graphics are working again, and are included for the included level packs where applicable. (Custom skill panel graphics and lemming sprites are already supported, the NXP conversion tool just doesn't automate it yet.)
- Saving completed levels / records between sessions is now working again.
- Level select menu now displays icons - yellow bar for "not attempted", red cross for "attempted but not completed", orange tick for "completed, but level has been modified since", and green tick for "completed".
- Entire packs can be selected from the level select menu, rather than only being able to select a rank or an exact level.
- Level select menu performance has been hugely improved.
- Fixed the bug with error messages if trying to save a replay when the "replays" folder does not exist.
- Lots of other general improvements.

Please reconvert any NXPs if you converted them with the tool in the previous experimental build. Graphic sets do not need to be reconverted.

Talismans are still not supported, this is a known issue. I'm considering reworking how they work, and in particular, tying them to the level file rather than the pack.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:12:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »
tried converting a few nxps on the nxp converter included in the above download in namida's post and I do the drag and drop as requested.
It displays the filename in "...." and I press enter/return and the window closes and nothing happens.

Tried Lemmings Plus I, Lemmings Reunion and one of my partial build SEB Lems nxps so I tried a wide variety of different nxps and same thing happens.

I'm guessing this is a bug and I'm reporting this.

I managed to convert Graphic sets ok using the GS converter.

I am running the Experimental in an entirely separate folder to the older Neo Lemmix builds to avoid conflicts with my level pack content, not sure if this is relevant or not.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »
I tried on Mobilems and it converted but I'm not able to open/play any of the converted levels in the player. It lists my ranks in the menu but acts as though they are empty, but the nxlv files are there in the folder

During conversion there were a TON of "removed invalid piece" messages. I didn't have any issues with my pack on the old (but latest) version of non-experimental player with invalid pieces.

Mobilems1 uses only (or mostly) original and ONML tilesets so it shouldn't be an issue with new tilesets (and I don't think I have any modifications on the sets, I know I used to but not anymore; on this latest version I uploaded a couple of months ago)

I attached the mobilems I converted here

-It'd be nice to have a message of "pack converted successfully" at the end of conversion, or a failure message if something went wrong.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:59:03 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
Converting Reunion after converting the missing custom tilesets seems to work for me now + I even could get the music to work, but still I would prefer a proper error message instead of just a Windows exception after the program detects that tilesets are missing.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
Flopsy: The output will be in the "levels" folder. Check there, or just see if it shows up in-game.

Mobius: Will look into your issue tomorrow night (when I'm back home), if Nepster doesn't get to it first (and he doesn't really know much about the convertor, though he does have access to its code).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
The levels do not appear in the levels folder, just checked now

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
mobius: Haven't looked into what's causing your issue yet, but can confirm that I can reproduce it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
Experimental new-formats player V11.14.19:b1d4aa4.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=152

Changes:
- BASS.DLL is no longer built into the EXE.
- Restored testplay functionality. This is accessed by putting the command line parameter "test" followed by the path of the LVL or NXLV file to use for testplay mode. (Note: This will NOT work with the existing editor version, but Nepster's editor will work with it.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:51:42 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
mobius: In the case of your pack, did you have two copies of each folder from the rank? The "levels.nxmi" file in the main folder refers to rank folder names with "(1)" on the end, which is what the NXP conversion tool would do if it detects a conflict.

Flopsy: Haven't looked into your issue yet. I'll get onto it tomorrow.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
mobius: In the case of your pack, did you have two copies of each folder from the rank? The "levels.nxmi" file in the main folder refers to rank folder names with "(1)" on the end, which is what the NXP conversion tool would do if it detects a conflict.

:XD: that was it. I converted twice but I guess I forgot something to the first time or just forgot that I did it twice. It seems to work fine now. And after paging through the converted pack quickly it seems okay in spite of all the invalid piece messages.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 12:24:04 AM »
The invalid pieces it refers to are generally objects far outside the level area, which exist in some level files that were originally DOS / Lemmix levels (or in rare cases, very early NeoLemmix levels). Basically, they just take up space in the level file without actually doing anything, so they get removed during the conversion.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »
I am running the Experimental in an entirely separate folder to the older Neo Lemmix builds to avoid conflicts with my level pack content, not sure if this is relevant or not.

This won't be relevant.

When you run the convertor, you should get a message saying "Press Enter to continue with conversion". After you press enter, does the tool give output like this (but adjusted for the level pack in question, of course)? Don't worry if it's missing the "Removing invalid pieces" line (this usually won't appear with made-for-NeoLemmix levels, IIRC, usually only with those imported from DOS / Lemmix), just as long as it seems to be going through all the ranks and levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 02:37:56 AM »
I don't even see the message 'Press Enter to continue with conversion' or any messages relating to the conversion.

I drag and drop an nxp.
It displays the file path of the nxp, below the drag and drop message and nothing else, pressing return or enter closes the program immediately, no error or explanation given.

I know it's not much help, I'm convinced there may be something external involved.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2017, 03:15:05 AM »
Ah! There's the issue.

What you're doing (I think?) is running NXPConvert.exe, then dragging and dropping an NXP file onto the console window that pops up when you run it.

Instead, what you should be doing is dragging and dropping the NXP file onto "NXPConvert.exe" itself (as in, the EXE file itself, not a window of the program that's running).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
Yes you're right, I was doing that.

That's greatly improved things, but now it's moved onto the program getting the "stopped working" message during conversions.

It converts all the levels up until the point that it stops working and puts them in the levels folder however.

Tried Lemmingbytes v1.1, SEB Lems partial, Lemmings Reunion, all of these nxps get the stop working message however LPI completed.

Either way, thanks again namida :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
Be sure you converted every missing tileset the pack uses first. The converter stopped for me as well when I did not converted the tilesets first. After that it ran as expected.

Reunion is sure to be stopping for you as you miss 2 currently hidden tilesets -->  http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3310.0
I am the only one until after the format change who is able to fully autoconvert the pack.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
Experimental player V11.14.19:c474af8.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=153

Changes:
- NeoLemmix itself and the graphic set convertor are now compiled with Delphi XE6 instead of Delphi 7. The NXP convertor is still the Delphi 7 version, as I believe the current NXP loading code does not work properly when compiled in XE6 and have not yet tracked down the cause of this. You may notice slight differences in dialog-based menus (in particular any open / save file dialogs), and possibly better performance in some areas, but the EXE file sizes are much larger.
- Will be able to handle LVL > NXLV conversion via a command line parameter, to remove the need for Nepster's editor to keep the LVL>NXLV conversion code up to date. (Requires support to be added on his editor's side before this will be useful.)
- Level preview image is shown on the level select menu. No other information (except title / author) yet.
- Fixed a bug with saving / loading of progress data and added levelpacks / levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2017, 12:24:24 AM »
About the NXPconverter thing
Can there be a feature where you can put as many single levels files as you want and have the converter do the rest?
Because I don't want to save one level at a time in a new format editor for EVERY SINGLE LEVEL FILE because I haven't made an NXP file for them yet
It want to cut that time in half because of that

also
a similar converter for graphic sets with the same idea I listed here?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2017, 02:48:58 AM »
For levels, it won't be hard to make something.

For graphic sets, this can already be done: Put all your graphic sets (and no other .DAT files!) that you want to convert in the same folder as GSConvert / NeoLemmix, run GSConvert, and type "*all" (without the quotes, but WITH the asterisk). It'll convert all of them one by one. Text instruction files are still supported when doing this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2017, 04:30:31 AM »
That is convenient, That'll make the shift to the new format easy :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
Experimental player V11.1419:ab6c320.

Fresh download: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=155
Upgrade from c474af8 ONLY (may work from other versions but not tested): http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=154

Changes:
- NXP conversion tool is now also compiled with Delphi XE6.
- Fixed bug: Seemingly meaningless error message pops up if sound panning fails. (This is the cause of the "levels: 5" error message you were getting, Wafflem)
- NeoLemmix no longer crashes if BASS.DLL is missing or fails to load; it just displays an error message then continues running (albeit without sound, as BASS.DLL is repsonsible for sound handling)
- "particles.dat" is once again built into the EXE rather than being external.
- Can load levels from Lemmini, SuperLemmini and Lemmins (subject to the graphic set being available, and some features are not supported such as custom fall distance; also, currently Lemmins levels load with a generic title rather than the correct one); this will also allow Nepster's NLEditor to load these once he releases an update that uses NeoLemmix itself to handle conversion
- When loading non-NeoLemmix levels (this even includes LVL files now), they are converted to NXLV and the NXLV file is placed in the "levels" folder. Manually-loaded NXLV files continue to be kept in their original location and loaded from there.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »
Experimental player V11.14.19:1cf3523.

Fresh download: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=160
Upgrade from ab6c320: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=158

Changes:
- Fixed bug: When running in windowed mode, the window size is not loaded correctly at startup.
- The way release rate works has been changed, see below for more details.
- Made some changes to the preview screen. In particular, the preview screen now won't mention a time limit at all on levels that don't have one, rather than stating it as infinite.
- Level titles and music tracks can now be loaded for Lemmins levels.
- Talismans are now working again, although there's very little indication of it (only the "You unlocked a talisman!" text on the postview screen, and the contents of the save file)
- Added an option to display spawn interval (ie: number of frames between lemming spawns) instead of release rate in-game, this option is disabled by default.
- Some additions to the Pillar and Honeycomb graphic sets.
- Removed the "Select Unused Lemming" hotkey.
- Added some stuff to improve integration with Nepster's NLEditor.
- Slight changes to the NXLV file format (specifically, they now contain a spawn interval rather than a release rate).
- Configuration data is now stored in the "save" folder; you can delete the config INI files in the main folder once you've run this version once.

New release rate mechanics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:22:31 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
Unfortunately there are a few bugs:
- After resizing the game window, the new window size is not saved.
- When reading the window size from the settings file, not the useful space is set to this value (as it was done before), but the total window size including the borders and the top bar. However when saving, the old value is used. This results in a smaller window every time you open the player. ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2017, 02:53:19 AM »
Yeah, seems the window sizing code that worked fine on D7 is a bit iffy on XE6. I've also noticed the game doesn't always quite cover the full screen area when switching from windowed to fullscreen.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2017, 05:22:37 AM »
Previous fresh download was missing bass.dll; I've attached it to this post for those who downloaded the fresh install but need this file. Place it in the same folder as NeoLemmix.exe.

For anyone who's downloading it now, I've fixed this; you only need to download it from this post if you got the fresh install copy that was missing it.
My Lemmings projects