Author Topic: PC versions with CD audio  (Read 13338 times)

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
PC versions with CD audio
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
Exactly which PC versions of the 2D Lemmings games offered CD audio for the music?

I have seen the original CD version of Lemmings for MS-DOS mentioned, but some of the re-releases seem to lack the CD tracks.

Is the double pack CD version of Oh! No! More Lemmings & Lemmings for MS-DOS, the only version of Oh! No! More Lemmings with CD audio for music?

Did any of the later 2D games offer CD audio for music?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PC versions with CD audio
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
First of all, welcome Kirben! :)

I can remember back in the day's, that Lemmings 3 (All New World Of Lemmings) audio came completely from the CD and as I recall also Lemmings Revolution's audio (but this one already has 3D design).
The music of the older entries I haven't really followed the origins, as the DOS games I played on my fathers PC as a kid came via floppy and I had nothing to do with setting them up.
The "Lemmings For Windows" version of the Original game and Oh No More Lemmings came via CD with soundtrack included I know for sure.

All of the tracks (of nearly every port) should easily be found on Youtube nevertheless. A lot of channels have uploaded them and even some remixes can be found.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
The "Lemmings For Windows" version of the Original game and Oh No More Lemmings came via CD with soundtrack included I know for sure.

I could be mistaken but I don't think most such CD releases actually come with CD soundtracks.  At least based on past threads (example), it is actually kind of a big deal whenever someone actually manage to track down or own a version that truly has CD audio soundtracks on the CD (as oppose to like MIDI music files from the game itself).

In fact, I would probably flip it around:

I have seen the original CD version of Lemmings for MS-DOS mentioned, but some of the re-releases seem to lack the CD tracks.

I think it's more accurate to say that most releases and re-releases by default do not contain CD tracks, and only a relatively rare few releases had the bonus of having CD tracks.  I don't even know for sure whether there is such a thing as an "original" CD version; I think in many cases, various game publishers simply more or less repackage the floppy version onto a CD-ROM without any extras (beyond the PDF of scanned menu every now and then), and it's quite possible the earliest release (which is one definition of "original") of a CD version may be like that.

===============================

Lemmings 3 definitely has versions with CD audio, in fact based on past threads here, in some cases it causes grief for people trying to play the game on modern PCs.

Lemmings Revolution may come on a CD, but I don't think the music are actually stored as CD soundtracks (ie. meaning you can stick the CD into a car's CD player and expect the music to play).  I think they are just stored inside files of the game.  Of course, it's possible (though probably unlikely, given how close Revolution came to not being finished/released at all) there are special releases of the game that has true CD audio.  Don't quote me on this stuff though, it's been a while since I last played Lemmings Revolution and I even managed to have physically destroyed at least one of the CDs and misplaced another in the meantime. :(

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 01:12:36 AM »
Thanks for responses so far, it looks like it would be easier to confirm which CD releases definitely have no CD audio.

Can anyone confirm whether any of these CD releases offer CD audio?
Classic Volume 1 with Oh No! More Lemmings ( http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html )
Fun to Learn with Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings ( http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html )
Gang Busters 'on the streets' Volume 2 with Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings ( http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html )
Lemmings: The CD Edition ( http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lemmings/cover-art )
Lemmings 2: The Tribes CD edition with bonus Lemmings 1 ( http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lemmings-2-the-tribes/cover-art )
Oh No! More Games (or Oh No! More Fun) with Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings ( http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html )
PC Playtime with Lemmings ( http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html )

I'm trying hunt down any MS-DOS release which offered CD audio, so want to be sure what I'm looking for. So far it only seems safe to buy the original CD releases of 'Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings' from Aztech New Media Corp or Psygnosis, which are very rare.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »
While I can't actually confirm anything and would love to be surprised, I would guess that any compilations which contains more than just the Lemmings-franchise games on the same CD will likely not have CD audio version.  Also I might have remembered incorrectly (I'll try to re-check the threads here later tonight), but I don't think ONML ever got CD audio either, so that would probably rule out any compilations that only has ONML.

"Lemmings: The CD Edition" I looked at the cover art in mobygames.com, it looks like something I do own, which sadly I had verified in the past not to have CD audio.  I can't confirm for sure though (ie. whether what I own actually matches what is depicted) until I'm back home much later, but will update this post here once I'm able to.  [UPDATE: confirmed, it matches what's shown on the website, no CD-audio]

And while it sounds like you intend to own the physical CD/Box (ie. for collector purposes, as opposed to merely being able to play a CD audio version of the game), I felt I should mention anyway that given what had been uploaded in the past, it is probably possible to track down an uncompressed rip of the CD audio (this definitely has been made available on one of the threads here in the past) plus the EXE of the CD audio version of the game (not sure if someone ever uploaded it here), which together should allow you to replicate the playing experience.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:07:46 PM by ccexplore »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
Through Google I wound up on a forum (not our forum) thread involving a Lemmings CD.  The contents of the thread seems to confirm (with hard evidence--it has a screenshot of a CD ripper program detecting and listing all tracks on the CD, and the list shows 23 audio tracks) that CD to contain CD audio.  There is also a photo of what the CD looks like.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/post-77160.html

And yes, accordingly to the thread it apparently contains other games, so I guess I'm happily mistaken in this case when I suggested multi-game compilations are not likely to have the CD audio.

[update: based on the "Aztech New Media Corp" text on the CD, this may be the version described on lemnet as:

Quote from: http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/info/compil/index.html
Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings CD-ROM
Label: Aztech New Media Corp
Catalogue Number: ISO-9660-AZ-2246
Released: 1995,1996
Platforms: PC CD-ROM

A plain and simple, "no frills" compilation. There is no packaging, not even a booklet. You just get the CD.

This might sound bad, but you get Lemmings and Oh No! for DOS at a very reasonable price. I paid $20 Australian for my copy.

]

Hmm, even I am now a little tempted to see if I can track this one down......
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:52:45 PM by ccexplore »

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
That image on DOS Games Network is from the 'Publishers' Pick 10-CD Blue Pack' released by Aztech New Media Corp, there is a list of their game bundles at http://cd.textfiles.com/gpack2/OTH_PROD.TXT

The 'Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings CD-ROM' pack from Aztech New Media Corp is different, the cover art is shown at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL75CABB4561CE61F0

Looks like Canada got the best CD releases, with two different releases from Aztech New Media Corp offering CD audio.

I have been looking worldwide on eBay (and elsewhere) for awhile now, and there has been no sign (even in completed listings) of these Canadian releases at all. The Canadian releases are the very rare ones, which is why I was hoping to find other options.

EDIT: I found the cover art for one of the Publishers Pick collections from Aztech Media on eBay (Germany):

That is the green collection, rather than the Blue collection (which includes Lemmings), but shows the type of cover art to look for:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:03:50 AM by Kirben »

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »
I ended up ordering the 'Fun to Learn' game pack from Amazon (USA).

The disc from the 'Oh! No! More Lemmings & Lemmings' double pack should be included, judging by cover art. The top of the cover art of the disc seems a close match to the disc art previously shown in this forum too.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
Interesting.  Let us know once you received it and is able to confirm it has CD audio.  ~$70 USD is probably a bit much for me especially being effectively forced to buy 4 other games I could care less about.  I imagine you have already tried searching for just the special limited edition double pack but got no hits so far?

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:11:18 AM »
Interesting.  Let us know once you received it and is able to confirm it has CD audio.  ~$70 USD is probably a bit much for me especially being effectively forced to buy 4 other games I could care less about.  I imagine you have already tried searching for just the special limited edition double pack but got no hits so far?
I bought the 'Fun to Learn' pack for $40 US, which was not too bad, price wise. I made the mistake of ordering the 'CD-ROM edition' of Lemmings too, before starting this thread too. I will post the results of both game editions, when they arrive.

No signs of the original limited edition double pack on Amazon or eBay, and I have been looking for over a month now.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »
I was surprised to notice the Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings double pack was recently on eBay, showing different cover art for the CD disc:

So looks like there are at least three releases (1 in Canada, 1 in Europe, 1 in USA) of the Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings double pack around, plus any game packs.

Also an earlier message in forums, confirmed the CD release of Lemmings 2: The Tribes didn't offer any CD audio. Even the bonus Lemmings 1 version didn't offer any CD audio.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »
My Lemmings games finally arrived, and I can confirm the 'Oh! No! More Lemmings & Lemmings' double pack in the 'Fun to Learn' game pack offers CD music for both games :)

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
I suppose, although CD music plays on the both games, but it's the same one on the both games. Tunes are just from 'Lemmings', not from 'ONM Lemmings'. Isn't it?

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
I suppose, although CD music plays on the both games, but it's the same one on the both games. Tunes are just from 'Lemmings', not from 'ONM Lemmings'. Isn't it?
Your right, the CD music is the Lemmings music, the 'ONM Lemmings' specific music was not included.

Offline Willstone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »

Looks like Canada got the best CD releases, with two different releases from Aztech New Media Corp offering CD audio.

I have been looking worldwide on eBay (and elsewhere) for awhile now, and there has been no sign (even in completed listings) of these Canadian releases at all. The Canadian releases are the very rare ones, which is why I was hoping to find other options.

Hi @ All

you have searched for this version?