Author Topic: Looking for custom music to use.  (Read 6158 times)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Looking for custom music to use.
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »
Hi, it's me again!

I was wondering what custom music other people used. In my pack I use Amiga music, from all Lemmings games, a couple other games and a few themes taken from the internet composed by fans. But I feel not all really fit Lemmings, so I might want to replace some. So I'd like to hear if anyone of you used custom music that fits in a bit with Amiga Lemmings.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for custom music to use.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
Well, in my case you can find it out in simply downloading Lemmings Reunion, as it comes with a music folder containing all the .mod's. :)
I have also found some other nice tracks which will fit well with it, but I will keep them secret for now until I finished the NeoLemmix port ;) (also for some remixes I want to get the OK from the creator first when the time comes).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:22:57 AM »
Kirby's Blockball musics suit Lemmings very well. The Lemmings Plus II gimmick music, and almost all the LPIV musics, come from there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:29:54 AM »
Well, in my case you can find it out in simply downloading Lemmings Reunion, as it comes with a music folder containing all the .mod's. :)
I have also found some other nice tracks which will fit well with it, but I will keep them secret for now until I finished the NeoLemmix port ;) (also for some remixes I want to get the OK from the creator first when the time comes).
Thanks! I'm free to use those, right?
They're great! I had the L2 and L3 themes already, but some of these are really well-chosen. The Chocobo Run for example, I really wouldn't have thought of that one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:24:45 AM by 607 »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
Thanks! I'm free to use those, right?
They're great! I had the L2 and L3 themes already, but some of these are really well-chosen. The Chobo bo Run for example, I really wouldn't have thought of that one.

They are partly chosen by me and partly already used in other custom packs. From my side: Feel free to use them.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
The only thing I should be careful of is making sure that the mod files are free to use and are not copyrighted, as that can get you into trouble, but even this is not clear-cut... for example, some songs like the Tetris theme are easily recognisable, although these are based on songs that are in the public domain and hence cannot be copyrighted (actually, that goes for a large majority of the songs from the original Lemmings, namely all the songs that begin with "tim" as well as the Can-can).

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
The only thing I should be careful of is making sure that the mod files are free to use and are not copyrighted, as that can get you into trouble, but even this is not clear-cut... for example, some songs like the Tetris theme are easily recognisable, although these are based on songs that are in the public domain and hence cannot be copyrighted (actually, that goes for a large majority of the songs from the original Lemmings, namely all the songs that begin with "tim" as well as the Can-can).
Hm... I didn't think that would be a problem. Even though I'm not earning money with it, is there still a significant chance I'll get into problems by using music from a copyrighted Amiga game? I thought they didn't care that much anymore about older stuff.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
You're not very likely to run into trouble, it's more a case of "you're technically doing something you shouldn't, and you theoretically could get into trouble for this, but it's very unlikely to actually happen". You should be fine. Even if any creators were to object, they'd most likely start by asking you to cease distributing their music, at which point you simply remove that track (and perhaps replace it with one that's less copyright-controlled).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
You're not very likely to run into trouble, it's more a case of "you're technically doing something you shouldn't, and you theoretically could get into trouble for this, but it's very unlikely to actually happen". You should be fine. Even if any creators were to object, they'd most likely start by asking you to cease distributing their music, at which point you simply remove that track (and perhaps replace it with one that's less copyright-controlled).
Okay, I understand. I generally try to keep to the rules (I don't use torrent sites or anything like that), but in this case I feel like I'm only making a fan tribute to the game the music is from, so I don't feel bad about it.