Author Topic: Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99 Pack has been taken down  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Prince Jamie

• Fan of Lemmings since 1995
    • View Profile
    • Lemmini Extras
Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99 Pack has been taken down
« on: October 11, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
So yesterday, I uploaded my latest pack "Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99" on Levelpacks, but I took it down, because I realised this tileset and levels was a bad idea.

??? Reasons why: ???
Steel is hidden, so you can't tell what's where
The background can sometimes make it hard to tell where the Lemmings and the cursor are
This project was abandoned back in 2012 and discontinued
The levels weren't really good or well planned
Rearranged the backgrounds was very difficult

I apologies for this convenience, I hope you understand ;)
I have a Skype account. If you wish to add me, Message me

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99 Pack has been taken down
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
So yesterday, I uploaded my latest pack "Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99" on Levelpacks, but I took it down, because I realised this tileset and levels was a bad idea.

??? Reasons why: ???
Steel is hidden, so you can't tell what's where
The background can sometimes make it hard to tell where the Lemmings and the cursor are
This project was abandoned back in 2012 and discontinued

I apologies for this convenience, I hope you understand ;)

The levels would only just need a bit of finetuning, the tileset itself is alright.

-For me the Steel was alawys the grey 42x42 blocks as they look the closest to the other steel blocks, so I marked them as steel in my conversion. I always stick with this steel rule and make no exceptions to create the most honest scenario.
-The background can be turned off in NeoLemmix in the options menu + you can actively choose which one to use without having to place a big object. I used only the blue one for my own city levels. As it looks nice and the distraction is not too big in my opnion. Even when turened off the black background still works.

Every tileset has tasks which it can fulfill best. The city tileset is weak in creating small corridors. But it's good to create open landscapes with different height levels.

I would give the pack another try! Think a bit over the levels, make more suiting scenarios with interesting puzzles. It can work very well ;)

Maybe use the Lemmings Reunion city levels as an inspiration! ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Sonic Advanced 3 Route 99 Pack has been taken down
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:20 AM »
I assume you read Nepster's graphic set critique topic?

Rather than taking this as "this graphic set sucks and should be destroyed"; firstly, consider taking it instead as advice on how the graphic set could be improved in the future. Secondly, keep in mind that it's one person's opinion, and not the opinion of the community as a whole; it's worth noting that some players prefer graphics to be as functionality-based as possible with everything being very clearly indicated, while other players would rather sacrifice some clarity for the sake of artistic freedom. It's very hard to please both groups at once, which is part of the reason for features such as NeoLemmix's "Clear Physics Mode" (see attached screenshot; same level (Hey Not Too Rough 13, "Let's take the Highway" from Lemmings Reunion) at same time in both regular and Clear Physics Mode).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)