Author Topic: Upcoming Lemmings book  (Read 13904 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Upcoming Lemmings book
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 03:11:01 AM »
Neat find!  It's been ages since I last bought a book and I've never contributed to anything on KickStarter, but this may just motivate me to kill the two birds with one stone.

I'll have to admit I'm pretty ignorant in the ways of KickStarter.  I thought typically you request for funding at the beginning of your project?  In his case though it sounds more like he's asking for "funding" after he basically has already finished the book, and so basically he is using kickstarter as a commerce platform to sell the book?  Is that common on KickStarter, and what are the advantages over other alternatives?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
There's a thread over at Lemon Amiga, as well.

I'm looking forward to this. :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »
That sounds quite good and I had a quick look at it by following the links, I see it's going to be the 25th anniversary of lemmings which will be in 2016.

All exciting stuff,  :thumbsup:

Lets hope everything goes according to plan and good luck for the book.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
This sounds awesome! Definitely looking forward to February next year. :)
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:37 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone here who has all twelve of those pins. I have the mail-order form that they could be ordered from once you got the one included in the game's box, and even that doesn't show the whole lot, if memory serves. I only have one from that set, myself (the Highland Lemming), and only know of one place where a photograph of all of them together exists. That's here, for what it's worth; They have a contact e-mail address published there - maybe they might be able to provide a better picture for you?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
Wait wait wait, we can buy it now? :D Awesome!

But, what happened to the Kickstarter campaign? I'm tempted to order now, but I don't want to miss out on potential goodies there... ;P

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
Fab, thanks for the details - will go and grab a copy now. :thumbsup:

EDIT: And there we go. I ordered a set of your fine greetings cards, too - more merchandise is always a good thing. :D

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
Awesome - thanks much! :D

It's like Christmas has come early, haha.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
Wahey, look what's arrived!

Really pleased with these - they really are gorgeous. Certainly too nice to write in! :D I'm thinking I might get some little frames and hang them up together.

I'm looking forward to the book's arrival even more, now.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
Shall do when the need arises!

I've just added both versions of the book, and both greetings card options, to The Lemmings Fan Goods Index, too. It is in plenty of awesome company. :thumbsup:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
Congratulations! This book is a Lemmings-fan's dream, and I'll grab a paperback version, of course!  :thumbsup:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
My book arrived today morning! :thumbsup: What a Christmas present, looking great at first glance. :)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
Got my copy of the book today!

I haven't had the chance to take a proper look today, but a quick flip through when I had a moment showed that it looks very professional indeed. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
Got my book today :)

This is really an AMAZING job, and it goes without saying that it is a must-have for Lemmings fans!
Every official Lemmings game is here (even unofficial games are listed), there are a lot of screenshots on many, many, many systems, and it's full of colors (except for the GameBoy version :D :D)!!! I really enjoy watching all these screenshots captured from different versions of the games!
There are also level-maps, interviews from the DMA guys, etc...

This is a great book! Congratulations :thumbsup:

Moreover, the very good surprise was to find my game in the Android part of the book: thanks! :)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
Hey, new user here. I've been hanging around this forum for a few months and enjoyed the custom Lemmings content on this site, the levels I downloaded are of very high quality and it has added to my enjoyment of this awesome game franchise. Just wanted to thank the community for that first. :thumbsup:

Anyway, just wanted to drop my 2 cents about this book as I purchased this book this week and had a chance to look through it.

Yes, it may be pricey (£34.95 on Amazon) but I can see why when reading it as there is a lot of information. A lot of effort went into this book and the price is worth it for that.

What particularly impressed me was all the level images from the Amiga version were in the book then it filled in all the gaps with the extra levels which were in other ports of lemmings and not in the Amiga version (so the Genesis ones for example). It didn't include the skill sets of each level but that's fine.
It also had the level images for ONML, 3D Lemmings (the preview screen), All Holiday Lemmings and Lemmings 2 Tribes which is a great pool of resources.

It's a must buy if you love the franchise and want some sort of memoir. It's especially a good read if you have played many different ports of Lemmings and want an idea on how they compare to the Amiga version.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
What's with your 'everylemming.blogspot' Jay? Is it dead for good, or you planning to work on it again?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:13:38 PM by Leo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
I'm curious as to what other negative views people have given on Lemmings The Ports other than the price of the book.

The only info I felt was missing was the skill sets and level info to accompany the image ie. number of lemmings, % to save, release rate but it doesn't have to be in the book because the images are there and they are good enough to help you remember those vital details. :thumbsup:

Personally, I can get over the high price tag because the book itself is a great piece of work.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
Posted it in the merchandise topic but I thought I'd make it known in this topic as well

I made a youtube video where I show off the Lemmings merchandise (Plush, Mug and Magnets) and also have a flick through the Paperback copy of Lemmings - The Ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tBRILoaWAI

I go through the books showing off the structure of the book, it's layout and show a few pages on the webcam.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Hey, where is Jay? His posts are deleted (now it's look like I talking to myself in previous post) and I can't find him in the members list.
What's was the problem? Is he angry at us, or what? I was just wanted to ask him is he planing to make the second, updated version of his book, because I can see some mistakes in the first one.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »
It's possible that he simply deleted his account not knowing that it would also remove all his posts.  (Actually I have no idea if that's the case or not, but seems plausible?)

If you Google for his book and start from there, I'm sure you can find some possible ways to try contacting him.

Did he ever really say anything about a second edition of the book?  Even then, wouldn't it be too soon anyway?  This costs money after all, I highly doubt he'd publish a second edition unless there's substantial new content (like information on several new Lemmings games that have come out since the first book) to be included, not just merely for minor errata.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
No, he didn't say anything about the second edition. That's why I hesitating to bother him with these mistakes in the book.
I don't think PDF release will cost anybody anything (except the time for editing content). He is gave PDF version for free to everybody at the end of the last year, so he can just update PDF file.
Look at this link if you are interested:
https://cd32covers.blogspot.hr/2016/12/unofficial-cd32-release-more-lemmings.html

As I am not familiar with all of the ports, I can't find all possible mistakes in the book by myself. So, I don't think it's a good idea to correct just these mistakes and declare the second edition.
Jay's 'Everylemming.blogspot' was very good online place with lots of useful information about Lemmings games. Sadly it's not online anymore.
Fortunately, this forum is still very alive, and I can't think of better place to gather people willing to check content of the book and report any possible mistake. But, Jay is not here anymore... What now? If he don't want to be member of this community, I don't think we should dissect the book to the details here.