Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!  (Read 46675 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
The first impression is: This is harder right from the beginning than I expected! I hope that new players are really familiar with Lemmings and also that the upcoming Lix tutorials are going to be a thorough briefing for this game.
I'm loving it so far, but I have to agree with this, also.

For example, I still haven't figured out Simple 12 ("Minimalism (Part 1)"), and I'm not sure if it's me or if something else is making it impossible. ;P If it is just me, I'd love a pointer, please, haha...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
Cunning, Every Which Way but Loose: The attached solution must build pixel-perfectly inside the small steel pit.

the replay doesn't work for some reason but I see what you did. It's a backroute. A major problem because of lack of arrows. I don't know how else to fix it I'd suggest just scrapping the level.

Akseli: Don't Leave Me Hanging! --the skillset should be exactly the same except miner instead of basher. The landscape has to be different because, they don't have the pillar tile set and no arrows :P
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
The first impression is: This is harder right from the beginning than I expected! I hope that new players are really familiar with Lemmings and also that the upcoming Lix tutorials are going to be a thorough briefing for this game.

For example, I still haven't figured out Simple 12 ("Minimalism (Part 1)"), and I'm not sure if it's me or if something else is making it impossible. ;P If it is just me, I'd love a pointer, please, haha...

This is why I left the Minimalism levels for Quirky in the draft ordering. The trick to this one is extremely out of the box and requires more than just skill assignments. (That hint should help a lot, Prob Lem) EDIT: Turns out there's a solution I didn't know about that's much simpler! My mistake.

So far, I think Simple 7 "Climb to Freedom", Simple 10 "Little Miner Puzzle (Part 1)," Simple 12 "Minimalism (Part 1)," and Simple 20 "Minimalism (Part 2)" are too hard for their placements. Climb to Freedom probably be in the second half of Simple, Little Miner Puzzle a little after the half-way mark, and consider moving both Minimalisms back to the start of Quirky. I still think Minimalism 1 is too hard for Simple, but Minimalism 2 seems good just before Lix Potion Number Nine now that it's been simplified. :)

Those are my major concerns. Some subtler ones: I wonder if Simple 17 "Solar Eclipse" and Simple 18 "Four Corners" should come before Simple 15 "Alternative Methods Recommended" and Simple 16 "Blocked by a Snowball," not after. Also, Simple 20 "The Borderland" could be pushed back to around Simple 13 "Four Color Circus."

Simples 21 "Snow Really" and 23 "Lix Potion Number Nine" are a little strange, and could maybe be moved down past Simples 25-27, which form a good chunk of simplish levels. (Although "Lix Potion Number Nine" shouldn't go next to Simple 28, "Charge of the Lix Brigade," as they are similarly about long lines of lixes. Maybe it could be moved earlier a level.) Simple 24, while hard, is a good "stumper" level, as there are only two skills -- it's not really that hard to figure out, but the solution isn't instantly obvious.

So my proposed reordering could be:

(Bold means I've pushed this level ahead from earlier, italics means I've pulled it in from later)

6. Every Lix for Herself!
7. Goblin City
8. Escape the Pit
9. Get Down from There!
10. Let's Block and Blow?
11. Four Color Circus
12. The Borderland
13. Put Your Lix on Ice
14. Solar Eclipse
15. Four Corners
16. Alternative Methods Recommended
17. Blocked by a Snowball

18. Let's All Go Down the Strand
19. Pitfall
[Needs a new landmark level...]
21. Minimalism (Part 2)
22. Think Fast!
23. Ferry Tale
24. Lix Potion Number Nine
25. Climb to Freedom!
26. Snow Really

27. Charge of the Lix Brigade
28. Little Viennese Waltz
29. Walk Them Golden Stairs
30. Low Clearance
31. Little Miner Puzzle (Part 1)
32. The Lion, The Lix, and the Wardrobe
33. Don't Leave Me Hanging!
34. One Way Road
35. Declination Innovation Station
36. You'll Get Over It
37. The Two Towers
38. Fear of Heights
39. You Have to Build a Bridge
40. The Road Goes Ever One

We're still missing a level, though. I maintain that Minimalism should be kept in Quirky due to the trick that it requires (Lix Potion Number Nine can also be solved with that trick, but there are many other ways to solve it, too) Perhaps we can pull in Quirky 4 "Waste Not, Want Not" or Quirky 11 "Migration" again?

Quote from: Akseli
26: Another Lix in the Wall – The second level (after A Completely Ridiculous Level) to trick me at least for 10 minutes.

I think this level, along with "Exit, Stage Right" are incredibly hard.
The only other major suggestion I have for Quirky is that "Path to Mahimah" is a rather dull level. Neat concept, but in practice it's not very fun to play. Oh, and, "The Final Sacrifice" I thought was very easy. It could be moved to somewhere near the middle or beginning of Quirky. Unless there's a reason it makes a good "landmark" last level.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »

This is why I left the Minimalism levels for Quirky in the draft ordering. The trick to this one is extremely out of the box and requires more than just skill assignments. (That hint should help a lot, Prob Lem)
I really have no clue! :D I even tried to see if the level wraps around, since I'd noticed that feature in the level-editor when I was making my own levels, and it doesn't...

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »

This is why I left the Minimalism levels for Quirky in the draft ordering. The trick to this one is extremely out of the box and requires more than just skill assignments. (That hint should help a lot, Prob Lem)
I really have no clue! :D I even tried to see if the level wraps around, since I'd noticed that feature in the level-editor when I was making my own levels, and it doesn't...

Try raising the release rate all the way. That should help a lot :)

EDIT: nope, listen to geoo.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
I think you know everything about the skills that you need to (walkers turn lix around or cancel workers including blockers; batters fling nearby lix around including blockers; and blockers, well, block like in L1). It's just a matter of piecing this together, in not quite the most obvious way. :) This level stumped my friend who's playtesting for a while too, but when he figured the solution he was like "Why didn't I see this earlier?". And one thing, you don't actually need to change the release rate.
Anyway, I wrote hints for this one already, spoilered below:
Hint 1: Don't make the first lix a blocker!
Hint 2: And don't use the walker to free the blocker, use it to turn a lix around instead!

Cunning, Every Which Way but Loose: The attached solution must build pixel-perfectly inside the small steel pit.
It's a backroute, can be eliminated by making the gap 12 px deep instead of 8.

Simple 10: Little Miner Puzzle (Part 1) - If my solution is correct, the first miner is hard to realize compared to the position of this level in this set.
Fear of Heights – Easy for its place, see replay. In Lemmix version some of the latest guys splatted, so the digger had to be placed at the right, so some of the first guys turned from the wall and the last guys managed to survive.
Can't Reach it – Don't Need It - Miner assignment has to be accurate to avoid breaking the builder bridge, intentional?
LMP1: Quite a few people seem to find this solution (you, Amanda, sekti), but there's one that's a lot more straightforward.
Fear of Heights: Changed the lix count to 60.
Can't Reach it: I've been thinking about this myself, it's also an issue with the digger depending on the solution. I moved the left steel block up by 2 pixels. Btw, it's actually possible to reach both exits, as Nepster found out.
'Don't Leave Me Hanging!' and 'Path to Mahimah': I don't know the original levels, so it's mobius' decision. If the levels stay true to their original solution idea, then I think it's ok as it is.

Added statistics for level authors to the first post.

I'd like to add that we discussed first levels for each set in the other topic, but I think you've also made excellent choices for the other "landmark" positions (20th, 21st, 39th and last).

There is an error in your list in the first post, geoo. Toccata's time limit is 180 (3:00), not 80. This is correct in the level itself.
Thanks! I was quite deliberate about my picks for the last level and often the penultimate level (I was contemplating for a while about Finale going as Vicious 40 due to its appropriate name, and then moving Chasm up to Hopeless where it probably belongs difficulty-wise), though for 20 and 21 it was more of a case of seeing what ended up there and shuffling around a little if I thought something else should go there. I'm glad you like the outcome though, I'll keep that in mind when reordering the levels after getting all the new feedback here.

Thanks for pointing out this mistake. I'm surprised about it as I generated that list automatically, though I might have done some formatting manually when grep had messed with the linebreaks. I put that list mostly so it's easier to maybe scrutinize levels for whether they really need a time limit. :P

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Hint 1: Don't make the first lix a blocker!
Hint 2: And don't use the walker to free the blocker, use it to turn a lix around instead!
Ohhhh! I think I see now. Will give it another spin, later.

It's definitely not something I'd expect to see in the easiest rating, at any rate. ;P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »
Replay for Rumble to the Bottom, this looks like a precision route and it spares one blocker skill. Proxima, is this intended?

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 01:05:45 AM »
Yes, that's the intended solution.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 01:21:45 AM »
This level stumped my friend who's playtesting for a while too, but when he figured the solution he was like "Why didn't I see this earlier?".
Haha, just pulled it off. It's genius. :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 02:36:03 AM »
I've played through the Simple set, and all I'd say at the moment is that "Snow Really" could stand to come a few places later. How about "Lix Potion" as a 21st level?  8)

Record number saved (100% unless stated):

Hrududu 29/30
Solar Eclipse 9/11
Minimalism (Part 2) 7/10
Let's Block and Blow? 29/30
Pitfall 39/40
You'll Get Over It 8/10

Levels where 100% is a notable challenge:

Goblin City
Lix Potion Number Nine
Low Clearance
The Lion, Lix and the Wardrobe

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
Attached are the solutions for the first three ratings from my friend sekti, and backroutes to Tribute to Benny Hill.
I also have them in alphabetical order (i.e. level filenames) if you prefer.

If you're too lazy to save replays for each level, you can go to options and set 'Max auto replays' to some big number, and copy them every now and then. With grep and sed I can still change them to alphabetical later.

I've played through the Simple set, and all I'd say at the moment is that "Snow Really" could stand to come a few places later. How about "Lix Potion" as a 21st level?  8)
I think I agree on both here :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »
Snowball Battle: Proxima, you talked about an easy solution that could be eliminated by removing the walker, but I've left the walker in for now. What is that solution?

Attached.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
Here's the revised "glitched out" version of Just Stop the Bleeding. Good to finally get this up and running.  :thumbsup:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
I decided to give my solutions for Cunning and Daunting ratings now, I haven't solved two Daunting levels but it's already been a few days I played all the others, so I think I'm not going to postpone these anymore. :P I'm in Vicious 6 at the moment, skipping only those two Daunting levels so far.

I'm playing Lix version 2014-07-02 and Lix levelset version 2014-07-03.

Cunning:
2: Merge Sort: Tricky for its place.
5: Lix Cannon: Did the physics change make this level easier (see basher doing the full stroke against steel)?
12: Elixir: Tricky for its place, if my solution is correct.
30: Have Another Try – One of the best levels so far! :thumbsup:
36: Dances With Lixes: Tricky for its place, if my solution is correct.

Daunting:
11: The Lix Who Japed – Not yet solved.
13: Little Miner Puzzle (Part3) – Knowing geoo, there's multiple solutions for this level, my solution is far too difficult for being an early Daunting level.
17: The Italian Job - Too easy compared to the levels around it, see replay.
30: Buy One, Get One Free (Part2) – Not yet solved.
31: I'm Gonna Make You Mine – Too hard for its position if my solution is correct, there's not much leeway how many you can kill.

Vicious 1: Dividing Three by Two – This level is easier than the first level of Daunting (Rhapsody--), and even easier than the first level of Cunning (LIX).