Author Topic: More accurate Lemmings 2/3 Amiga music rips  (Read 15545 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: More accurate Lemmings 2/3 Amiga music rips
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Right, an awesome soul helped me out and got the entire contents out of the Amiga Format issue 18 cover-disk image. :thumbsup: I've attached the zip file that they gave me.

Can anyone do anything with this stuff?

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
Well, this thing is complicated. All that matters here is just one file, "lemmings" and it's just 67KB. It is compressed (self-extract file), but I can't find which compressor is used and how to uncompress it. To be more complicated, this file don't want to work if 'Amiga Format 18 cover-disk' is not in one of the floppy drives.

Of course, after the game is started all data is uncompressed in the memory. So, it can be saved from the emulator as a state file. But, is this can be of any use to anyone? I can't tell.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:56 AM »
Most likely the "lemmings" file is just a launcher, and the actual files are stored on the floppy outside the filesystem.  Usually you can get the files from Amiga Lemmings disks using the "rippsyfiles" tool that comes with JST, but it doesn't work on this disk.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
There is some 'unused' space on that floppy disk (almost 240KB). It appears to contain some Lemmings data. So, just extracted file without the floppy image is useless.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:31:53 AM »
Cloanto (the developer of Amiga Forever) is taking a while to respond, so I decided to install WinUAE and use the ROMs from an old version of Amiga Forever that I have lying around.

Anyway, I was able to rip One Way to Freedom from a savestate. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjovzrlyi42ra6k/OneWayToFreedom.lvl?dl=1

I think there are only three 1-player levels in that demo because the only 2-player level is labeled "level 4."

EDIT: I have just now confirmed that there are only three 1-player levels. In case anyone's curious, here's the message that appears at the end (misspellings are not mine):
The full game contains over 100 levels!
made up of five graphic styles with
many weird and wonderfull traps to avoid

Over twenty toe tapping tunes, or full
blown sound effects that are not in
this demo.

What are you waiting for, go and buy
Lemmings NOW, addiction guaranteed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:16:32 AM by Tsyu »

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
Yeah, there are only the three single-player levels in the Amiga Format demo.

Incidentally, the later standalone demo corrects the typographical errors in the advertising text at the end.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »
Hey, I'm quickly reviving this thread, just asking to make it "sticky" so that it can be found easily. ;) I almost would have posted the Lemmings 2 music a second time, because even with the search function, I couldn't find any thread here on the forums that contained it. Then I looked in the info file included in the ZIP folder I had downloaded from elsewhere, and it contained a link to this thread.

I assume the main reason this thread is hard to find is that it doesn't contain the words "The Tribes" or "Chronicles" / "An All New World of Lemmings". Just searching for "Lemmings" will probably bring up literally every thread here on the forums :D , and the numbers 2 and 3 can't be added as individual search terms because they are not at least two characters long.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
You can search for "Lemmings 2" in quote marks, and this topic comes up in the first page of results.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
Ah, great, I wasn't aware of that search option, even though I've been on this forum for years! :thumbsup:

That however also makes it unlikely that any new player will know this function. And with the L2 tilesets being included in the standard download, I can imagine that these tracks will be among those that new level designers want to use most frequently (after the classic and ONML tracks). ;)

Therefore, I still think it should be made sticky. If only to avoid the redundancy of more people uploading the music.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels