Author Topic: Family Feud 2014  (Read 66348 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »
I have to say Q8 is a bit unfair towards more popular players. I initially thought the question would be scored as ccx understood it, but then I re-read it and submitted a different answer. So ccx just lost by popularity (and maybe no understanding the question correctly, maybe he would have picked me then).

Q7 I went for house because it appears in Q4 (in reality I'd probably purchase a plane ticket or something, or just browse kickstarter), and in Q4 I went for 'can be purchased' because that's what happens in Q7 (my initial thought was existence as well, but I thought I'd not be the only one liking cross references). I'd say I picked 'moat' in Q1 because Q8 is about the king of the castle, but actually it was just the first word that sprang to mind.

As for the star from Q3 I thought of Polaris, Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri, and managed to pick the most popular of the three (after verifying that the Centauris were in fact stars and not Galaxies; I just knew that Proxima was the closest one, hinted at by its name).

That seems like German way of thinking? ???  At least the way I learned English, the final "d" and "t" sounds are different.  Though I don't know how much that matters for rhyming.
I was talking about this with NaOH on mumble earlier, wondering how someone could consider boat rhyming in something ending in d. So no, not German thinking.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
So ccx just lost by popularity (and maybe no understanding the question correctly, maybe he would have picked me then).

I might've also set myself up to fail there simply by being the first person who asked about round 2. :XD:

Had I understood the scoring, I think I might more likely pick the QuizMaster (under the apparently false assumption of likely participation), which looks like would've been worse choice for me score-wise.  Then again, looking at the answers there were two other persons (possibly three--Clam picked himself ???) who like me probably misunderstood how the question was to be scored, so who knows how things would go had everyone understood the scoring.

================

Interesting to see some of the thought process btw, some of the answers made a lot more sense now when you consider someone who actually read through all the questions first, and then try to answer them accounting for possible influences from other questions.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 01:10:13 AM »
My brain froze on Question 2.  I was torn between rhombus and parallelogram and completely forgot about the obvious rectangle!

Question 6 was a toss-up for me between the first and last levels, and I picked the wrong one.  I didn't even think of Superlemming.

I misread Question 8, thinking that if I picked someone who played this game, I would lose the points.  That's what happens when you're worn out after a long work week.

Finally, I don't care that nobody else said it; I still think my answer to Question 7 was best.  ;P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 01:26:46 AM »
aw,  :( sorry I missed ccxeploes one answer-- the private island, that was a good answer.

also sorry question 8 was so difficult to understand for everyone, though I really don't understand why--it seemed pretty simple to me.  ??? I don't know how I could've worded it better.

also rhombus is one of my favorite shapes
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:35 AM »
also sorry question 8 was so difficult to understand for everyone, though I really don't understand why--it seemed pretty simple to me.  ??? I don't know how I could've worded it better.

It's okay, I think you did a fair job clarifying the question, especially in response to NaOH's request for clarification.  I'll admit I just thought from the outset I understood question 8, and didn't really bother to read your clarification reply. :-[ (And even had I read it, I have a feeling I might have still misunderstood it.)  Maybe because it's so close to normal feud scoring, people are more likely to only think about their answers affecting their own scores, as oppose to also directly affecting someone else's as in this case.  I guess if you had explicitly mentioned with bolded text that the penalty is not being applied to the people casting the votes it'd help, but that would've only happened had it occurred to you that it's a likely misinterpretation.  Since you came up with the question and scoring in the first place, it is understandable that you would be the last person to have predicted such misinterpretations.

And ultimately part of the fun of the Feud is to illicit "dumb" answers, right? :XD: ;P Mission accomplished!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »
looking at the answers there were two other persons (possibly three--Clam picked himself ???) who like me probably misunderstood how the question was to be scored

I understood the question, but then went on to vastly overestimate the number of votes I'd get :P

---

As mentioned, I've got a set of questions mostly written up, so barring any unexpected holdups (or objections) I'll have Round 3 up later tonight :)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Family Feud 2014 - ROUND 3
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Welcome to Round 3! Enter or get munched! Enter and get munched anyway (see below)! PM your answers to Quizmaster, not Clam. 8()

Questions 1 to 7 use standard Family Feud scoring: you get (participants with your answer) / (number of votes the most popular answer got) points. Questions 8 to 10 have different methods of scoring.

---

QUESTIONS

1. Name a word that rhymes with 'rhyme'.
2. Name a hair colour that is uncommon among humans.
3. Name a piece of attire that a lemming would look good in, in addition to his blue shirt.
4. You tire of rodents and decide to keep pet birds instead. What type of bird do you adopt?
5. You find 5 Euros (or equivalent in your currency) on the street, and wish to use it to buy the largest possible quantity of a single type of food. What do you buy?

6. Dumb Ways To Die, so many dumb ways to die! Which of the Dumb Ways to Die is the dumbest?
  • Set fire to your hair
  • Poke a stick at a grizzly bear
  • Eat medicine that's out of date
  • Use your private parts as piranha bait
  • Get your toast out with a fork
  • Do your own electrical work
  • Teach yourself how to fly
  • Eat a two-week-old unrefrigerated pie
  • Invite a psycho killer inside
  • Scratch a drug dealer's brand new ride
  • Take your helmet off in outer space
  • Use a clothes dryer as a hiding place
  • Keep a rattlesnake as a pet
  • Sell both your kidneys on the Internet
  • Eat a tube of superglue
  • I wonder, what's this red button do?
  • Dress up like a moose during hunting season
  • Disturb a nest of wasps for no good reason
  • Stand on the edge of a train station platform
  • Drive around the boom gates at a level crossing
  • Run across the tracks between the platforms

7. Let's Play Mousecraft! Mice can climb up walls one block high, and you place tetris pieces on the level to help them past obstacles.

Choose a block place to get you over this obstacle. Blocks are labeled according to the usual tetris notation.

--- Non-standard scoring follows ---

8. 8() vs 8:()[

Choose whether to be munched by the clam 8() or the frog 8:()[. Because you don't want to get munched in with too many other people, scoring is the reverse of normal Family Feud questions: your score is (number of people who didn't pick your answer / number of people who picked the most popular answer).

9. PUZZLE TIIIME!

It's time for the inaugural Lemmings Forums Puzzlehunt! There are four puzzles, and you have to work together to solve them. The hunt doesn't run for very long though, so you can only work on one puzzle. If you solve the puzzle, you share the points equally with everyone else who worked on it. Puzzles are as follows:

The Easy Puzzle: Takes 1 person to solve, worth 1 point.
The Medium Puzzle: Takes 2 people to solve, worth 2 points.
The Hard Puzzle: Takes 3 people to solve, worth 3 points.
The Metapuzzle: Takes 1 person to solve, worth 1 point which you don't have to share (i.e. if you're on the Metapuzzle and it gets solved, you score 1 point). However, you need the answers to all the other puzzles before you can solve it. Therefore, if any of the first 3 puzzles aren't solved, you score zero.

10. MAFIA

As in the popular forum game, you play as either the evil Mafia or the innocent Town. In a normal game you get assigned randomly to a team. But in this game, you get to choose which team you're on!

Your score is the probability that your team will win, based on the number who choose to be on each team (with certain assumptions that I won't explain here - but note that it's much more Mafia-friendly than our forum games so far).

If you don't understand this game, don't panic! To help you check out the possible outcomes, there's a handy table here:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Numbers,_Part_1
and a calculator here (set Start = 1, Votechance = 0, and leave Nightless unchecked):
http://games-net.de/hosted/tggc/trash/mafiacalc.php

I will enter into the calculator the number of Mafia and Town players we end up with. Town players score (townwin/100), and Mafia players score (1 - townwin/100).

There's one catch though. If too many people choose Mafia (equal to or greater than (Town - 1)) the Mafia win straight away. But for Family Feud purposes, this disqualifies you (since everyone would pick Mafia otherwise), so in this case Town players get 1 point while the Mafia get zero. For storyline purposes, imagine the Mafia fight over who to kill first and end up killing each other :P

---

You can change your answers by submitting a new PM before the game ends.

This game runs for a couple days, and results will be posted when I believe no more answers will come in.

-- Quizmaster

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:12 AM »
Because Question 10 is too hard, here's a table of the possible scores for up to 10 players.

Colour-coding:
Green: no mafia, town wins.
White: legitimate game, either team can win.
Yellow: too many mafia, town wins by default.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
Family Feud 2014 - ROUND 3 RESULTS
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 06:24:20 AM »
Nine people chose to be munched this round. The rest will be munched in due course 8()

1. Name a word that rhymes with 'rhyme'.
time (1) - RubiX, NaOH, ccexplore, möbius, Nepster, Timballisto
thyme (0.33) - geoo, Simon
synonyme (0.17) - Akseli

It's all a matter of t(i|hy)me. Well, almost.

2. Name a hair colour that is uncommon among humans.
green (1) - everyone

A sensible choice by all, since the following question is explicitly about Lemmings.

3. Name a piece of attire that a lemming would look good in, in addition to his blue shirt.
hat (1) - möbius, Akseli
top hat (1) - NaOH, Simon
shorts (0.5) - RubiX
green shirt (0.5) - ccexplore
tie (0.5) - geoo
umbrella (0.5) - Nepster
sunglasses (0.5) - Timballisto

Note that according to the original rules, top hat is a subclass of hat so they can't be lumped together.

4. You tire of rodents and decide to keep pet birds instead. What type of bird do you adopt?
parrot (1) - NaOH, möbius, Nepster, Akseli, Timballisto
emu (0.2) - Rubix
kiwi (0.2) - ccexplore
raven (0.2) - geoo
Drillbird (0.2) - Simon ("DRILLBIRD WILL KILL YOUR FAMILY by digging in your holding pit!")

No love for chickens :(. They really are superb pets!

5. You find 5 Euros (or equivalent in your currency) on the street, and wish to use it to buy the largest possible quantity of a single type of food. What do you buy?
ramen (1) - NaOH, geoo, möbius, Timballisto
wurst (0.5) - Simon, Akseli
popcorn kernels (0.25) - RubiX
noodles/pasta (0.25) - ccexplore
rice (0.25) - Nepster

Wurst is a staple food in these parts, more so than rice!

6. Dumb Ways To Die, so many dumb ways to die! Which of the Dumb Ways to Die is the dumbest?
Take your helmet off in outer space (1) - RubiX, möbius, Timballisto
I wonder, what's this red button do? (1) - NaOH, Nepster, Akseli
Use your private parts as piranha bait (0.33) - ccexplore
Sell both your kidneys on the internet (0.33) - geoo
Disturb a nest of wasps for no good reason (0.33) - Simon

Also dumb would be to walk into a giant clam on the beach... but that didn't stop some of you 8()

7. Let's Play Mousecraft! Choose a block place to get you over this obstacle.
O (1) - RubiX, NaOH, geoo, Nepster, Akseli
Z (0.4) - ccexplore, Timballisto
I (0.2) - Simon
J (0.2) - möbius

Of course, any one of the blocks will do the job. But O "just fits".

8. 8() vs 8:()[
8() (0.8 ) - NaOH, ccexplore, Nepster, Akseli, Timballisto
8:()[ (1) - RubiX, geoo, Simon, möbius

Close one, but the clam cla(i)ms the larger portion 8()

9. PUZZLE TIIIME!
Easy (1) - RubiX
Medium (1) - NaOH, Timballisto
Hard (0.75) - geoo, möbius, Nepster, Akseli
Meta (1) - ccexplore, Simon

We solved all the puzzles! Unfortunately we still placed only 23rd in the hunt. /inside joke

10. MAFIA
Mafia (0) - RubiX, ccexplore, geoo, Timballisto
Town (1) - NaOH, Simon, möbius, Nepster, Akseli

The mafia plot their kill, after which they would take over the town, but just before they carry it out the Quizmaster comes along and munches them. What a twist!

THE SCOREBOARD
NaOH wins with 9.8 points, just one frogging short of a perfect score!

1. NaOH (9.80)
2. möbius (8.95)
3. Nepster (8.30)
4. Akseli (8.22)
5. Timballisto (7.70)
6. RubiX (6.95)
7. Simon (6.57)
8. geoo (6.12)
9. ccexplore (5.48)

Clampoints
Honourable mentions for entertainment value:
  • NaOH for adopting frog twins, in surprise at the metapuzzle being solved
  • ccexplore for appreciation of New Zealand's native fauna
  • Simon for combining an internet meme and Clones (driller = digger) into a single joke
  • Akseli for originality (on Q1)
  • Timballisto for humility in munching ("GREETINGS O QUIZ MASTER, I COME HUMBLY BEFORE YOU BEARING ANSWERS TO THY QUESTIONS.")

Thanks for feeding the animals, and ask Clam for the password when you're ready to host!

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:49 AM »
I am once again extraordinarily average.  Can I get points for managing to land in the middle twice?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014 - ROUND 3 RESULTS
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
Honourable mentions for entertainment value:
  • ccexplore for appreciation of New Zealand's native fauna
Well, that's one mistake I shall never repeat this year. :P  It's the second time this year my assumption of QuizMaster participation has proven to be an epic failure score-wise.  Parrot would've been my natural choice on that one otherwise.

I guess it's bound to happen eventually but damn, not expecting bottom place by such a large margin.  :XD: So many bad choices on normal feud questions.  Good job to NaOH though, that sure was close to perfect. :o

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
Holy b*kldder, I wasn't expecting that!

Quote from: NaOH
9. Medium. (If the metapuzzle actually gets solved I will do something drastic, like adopt frog twins.)
I'm flabbergasted that that actually happened. So:

[edit from a year later. Picture is stupid, here are frogs instead now.]

:8:()[: :8:()[:

In other news, I'll be Quizmaster next. Expect the list within 24 hours.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:08:07 PM by NaOH »

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
First entry in the new round before the quiz is even posted:

I don't have the Lix frog trap here for the corner. :-)

-- Simon

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
Having some difficulties speaking without a mouth. Communicating through whiskers isn't easy.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
I did much better than last time, yay me.  I didn't even remember that the quizmaster can participate himself when I did it.

on dumb ways to die: many of these deaths are not necessarily that deadly:

Set fire to your hair - loose your hair but not your life

Poke a stick at a grizzly bear - this one is actually pretty believable. I knew a person who allegedly kicked a bear and the bear promptly took his head off in a single swing.  :scared: :scared:

Use your private parts as piranha bait -- you won't be able to have children any more but good chance of surviving probably?

Do your own electrical work - I knew old man who had no light switch in his basement, he just pinched two wires together... Never heard what happened to him...

Eat a two-week-old unrefrigerated pie -- get sick but probably not die.

Take your helmet off in outer space -- that would be incredibly stupid, considering astronauts must automatically be very smart.

Use a clothes dryer as a hiding place -- I don't think most adults fit inside a dryer...

Keep a rattlesnake as a pet -- a lot of people do this. Why?

Sell both your kidneys on the Internet -- you can probably do this legit on Craigslist

I wonder, what's this red button do? -- usually the "big red button" is a safety switch that shuts off the electricity to that part of the building.

Dress up like a moose during hunting season -- very dangerous especially if you're in drunken red-neck country. Though they're just as likely to avoid moose and try shooting gas-tanks instead.

Drive around the boom gates at a level crossing- funny story:
my uncle tried to get through before it was coming down once. When it hit the car, the sound scared my aunt and she screamed so for some reason my dumb uncle slammed on the brakes and the car stalled, on the train tracks. They survived... somehow.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain