Author Topic: Family Feud 2014  (Read 66522 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
I'm personally am fine with either, so I'll be away for a bit in about 2.5 weeks meaning that if we want to play a mafia round, it should start rather sooner than later for me to be able to participate.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
Translated email comment from Stephan on the results: "How do they arrive at 86 kilograms for the quizmaster? The guy is a giant with shoulders like a wardrobe closet!"

I'd favor one or two quizmaster rounds instead of the mafia game -- 2.5 weeks sound like a tricky time should the game take longer than 2 day discussions. Hm, on the other hand, geoo's rules sound as if the mafia game will be over by then...

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
I can host a new quiz game, or give somebody else a bunch of questions to use.

somebody send me the excel sheet with the ready-to-go formula. I don't have any complicated questions in mind.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »
PM with Quizmaster password sent to möbius!

-- Simon

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Family Feud 2014 ROUND 2
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »
Family Feud 2014 ROUND 2

For each question, unless otherwise stated, your task is to pick the most popular answer. If more people pick the same thing you did you will get more points. PM the quizmaster with your answers. You may change your answers before the game ends.

1. Name a word that rhymes with BOAT.

2. Name a four sided shape OTHER than square.

3. Name a star OTHER than our sun.

4. State something you can say about your house but NOT about your spouse/lover.

5. Name an object the size of the quizmaster's head.

6. Name the most memorable Oh No More Lemmings level?

7. If you were given 1 billion dollars right now, what is the first thing you would purchase?

8. KING OF THE CASTLE
For this question you must pick 1 forum member to be most popular and become the king of the castle, you may pick yourself. Just like the normal questions you will get more points if you pick a member most others picked.
However; if the most picked member is a player in this game; half a point we be deducted from their score.

9. Pick a number between 1 and 9 inclusive. If no one else picks your number you will receive 1 point. Your score will get smaller if more people pick the same number as you.

-----
The game will close in a few days. If the outcome is a tie between two or more players, those players may be asked to play a short tie-breaker game of Sudden Death.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »
Can you explain the scoring for 8 and 9 please? This may affect the strategy :)

(Guessing it's the usual 1/#players method)

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
8. is the same as the normal questions. It just has the extra aspect of the person who "wins" gets a half point (0.5) deducted, if they are part of the game that is. If they aren't then nothing happens.

-If two or more people end up sharing title of "king of the castle" all those will be deducted the points

-If no one else picks your number you will receive 1 point. If two people pick the same number, both will get 0.5 point. If three people pick the same number all those will get 0.33. If four, 0.25. If five, 0.2. If 6, 0.16 etc..
-If everyone ends up picking the same number everyone will get 5000 points! no points..

I also want to clarify question 4 for reasons:
4. State something you can say about your house but NOT about your spouse/lover. As in write something you could literally say in a conversation about your house but not about your spouse/lover.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
Wait, so, rational and real numbers are allowed? Or do they have to be integers?

Treaty of Versailles would indicate the numbers self-determine who picks them, rather than the other way around.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
Family Feud 2014 Round 2 Results!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »
This game has ended everybody, thank your for playing.

9 people played in this game, let's see what the survey said........

1. Name a word that rhymes with BOAT. Survey said:

float: 1 -- Clam; 0.33
goat: 2 -- Simon, NaOH; 0.67
moat: 3 -- geoo, Timballisto, Rubix: 1
coat: 3 -- Akseli, LemSteven, ccx: 1

COAT and MOAT were tied for the number one answer!

2. Name a four sided shape OTHER than square. Survey said:

rhombus: 1 -- LemSteve: 0.125

RECTANGLE was the number 1 answer! -- (everyone else): 1

3. Name a star OTHER than our sun. Survey said:

Vega: 1 -- Rubix: 0.25
Polairs(North Star): 1 -- LemSteven: 0.25
Proxima Centauri: 3 -- Simon, Akseli, Clam: 0.75

ALPHA CENTAURI was the number 1 answer! 4 -- geoo, NaOH, Timballisto, ccx: 1

4. State something you can say about your house but NOT about your spouse/lover.

existence: 1 -- Simon: 0.5
it can be purchased 1 -- geoo: 0.5
area 1 -- Akseli: 0.5
made of bricks 1 -- LemSteven: 0.5
it's warm 1 -- NaOH: 0.5
it's big 1 -- Timballisto: 0.5
dirty 1 -- Rubix: 0.5

LOOKS OLD/IT'S OLD (LIKE YOUR MOM) was the number 1 answer. 2 -- ccx, Clam: 1

-your lover could be warm and dirty, and purchased in some places of the world. Big too, but these are all things that may have great consequences if you let your spouse/lover know openly.
-I don't know what to make of existence and area, I hope they understood the question?
-Clam gets minus 2 ghost chips for insulting the quizmaster's mother.

5. Name an object the size of the quizmaster's head. Survey said:

football 1 -- geoo: 0.333
helmet 1 -- Akseli: 0.333
bowling ball 1 -- LemSteven: 0.333
BEACH BUCKET 1 -- Rubix: 0.333
basketball 2 -- Simon, Timallisto: 0.667

PORCUPINE was the number 1 answer. 3 -- NaOH, ccx, Clam: 1

6. Name the most memorable Oh No More Lemmings level?

thunder lemmings are go 1 -- Simon: 0.333
Look before you leap: 1 -- LemSteven: 0.333
Lemming Tomato Ketchup Factory* 1 -- Timballisto: 0.333
down and out lemmings 3 -- geoo, Akseli, Clam: 1
Introducing Superlemming! 3 -- NaOH, ccx, Rubix: 1

DOWN AND OUT LEMMMINGS and INTRODUCING SUPERLEMMING! were tied as the number 1 answer!

*It's actually Facility, but judges would've excepted this anyway.

7. If you were given 1 billion dollars right now, what is the first thing you would purchase?

wurst 1 -- NaOh: 0.2
copyrights to the Lemmings franchise 1 -- LemSteve: 0.2
yacht 1 -- Clam: 0.2

HOUSE was the number 1 answer. 5 people guessed correctly-- Simon, geoo, Akseli, Timallisto, Rubix: 1

Clam said a Yacht is required for real billionaire member status. Not, apparently, for winning at Family Feud.
LemSteven definitely gave the smartest answer as a true Lemmings fan.  :lem4ever:

8. KING OF THE CASTLE
For this question you must pick 1 forum member to be most popular and become the king of the castle, you may pick yourself. Just like the normal questions you will get more points if you pick a member most others picked.
However; if the most picked member is a player in this game; half a point we be deducted from their score.

GuyPerfect 1 -- LemSteven: 0.333
Clam 1 -- Clam: 0.333
geoo 2 -- Simon, Timballisto: 0.667
Giga 2 -- ccx, Rubix: 0.667

A last minute change from geoo made CCEXPLORE take the title of KING OF THE CASTLE.
voted on by 3 people: geoo, Akseli and NaOH -- each receiving 1 point.

But the title of King of the Castle comes at a price: As promised; ccx receive a 0.5 point deduction.

9. Pick a Number
Pick a number between 1 and 9 inclusive. If no one else picks your number you will receive 1 point. Your score will get smaller if more people pick the same number as you. Only intergers were allowed.

the number 5 was picked three times by Simon, Timballisto and Clam: 0.333
the number 2 was picked twice by geoo and Akseli: 0.5
the number 8 was picked twice by LemSteven and Rubix: 0.5
the number 6 was picked twice by NaOH and ccx: 0.5

Nobody's number was picked only once. Great minds think alike?

--------------

Let's see how we all did............

ccexplore scored the highets with a 7.37 but - 0.5 the decuction = 6.87 making....

1. geoo = 7.33
2. Akseli = 7.08
3. NaOH and ccexplore TIED at 3rd place with 6.87
4. Timballisto = 6.50
5. Rubix = 6.25
6. Clam = 5.95
7. Simon = 5.92
8. LemSteven = 3.58

and it seems geoo has a cutthroat strategy that paid off, putting him up top, usurping ccexplore. Congratulations geoo!

If you need to, please refute scores in posts below

Join us next time for your chance to win 20,000 dollars!!!!!!!  :party:

------------
Let your quizmaster know if you would like to be a quizmaster in the future! He will email the password to you.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 02:44:12 AM »
gg; I totally failed to grasp the scoring on 8 and thought the 0.5 deduction gets applied to the people who voted for the King, rather than the King him/herself. :XD:

Rather surprised "moat" tied "coat" for question 1. ???

For question 4, to me "existence" and "area" seems pretty similar kind of answers as "made of bricks"-- if it helps, think of those answers as "he/she/it exists" (ie. I only have one and not the other) and "It makes sense to talk about the house's area".

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014 Round 2 Results!
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
I've barely played the original ONML, so I named the only level I'd ever heard mentioned. (Although apparently its name contains a spelling error: "Inroducing Superlemming!")

I thought "goat" would be a winner for sure.

3. Name a star OTHER than our sun.

From IRC:

<Clam> like in Sid Meier's Alpha Clamtauri

I very nearly submitted that as an answer. Centauri won out in the end. I'm surprised Clam didn't put down Alpha Centauri, too, though.

wurst 1 -- NaOh: 0.2
copyrights to the Lemmings franchise 1 -- LemSteve: 0.2
yacht 1 -- Clam: 0.2

HOUSE was the number 1 answer. 5 people guessed correctly-- Simon, geoo, Akseli, Timallisto, Rubix: 1

Clam said a Yacht is required for real billionaire member status. Not, apparently, for winning at Family Feud.
LemSteven definitely gave the smartest answer as a true Lemmings fan.  :lem4ever:

Did ccexplore not answer this?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 04:35:18 AM »
I found the feud questions quite hard, here are the comments from the entry.

1. goat (I wanted to guess "load", but people will probably not follow suit because it ends with "d" unlike "boat" in the written, not spoken, question.)
2. rectangle
3. Proxima Centauri (This is hard. Sirius is the brightest, and Alpha Centauri is larger than Proxima, but Proxima is closest and a namesake on these forums.)
4. existence
5. basketball (I'm tempted to guess the quizmaster's head itself, which is most obvious, but I fear not everyone will think of that.) Porcupine, from the avatar, is a very fine answer, obvious in hindsight.
6. Tame 13 = Thunder-Lemmings are Go
7. a house
8. geoo (He likes to pick himself for these questions, and people don't want him to win two games in a row! This should pay off not too shabbily.)
9. number 5

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
I thought "goat" would be a winner for sure.

Me too!  "coat" makes sense alphabetically, and then "goat" is pretty much the next thing that came to my mind.  I guess we have a lot of fans of castles here? ;)

3. Proxima Centauri (This is hard. Sirius is the brightest, and Alpha Centauri is larger than Proxima, but Proxima is closest and a namesake on these forums.)

Wow, and here I was worrying that some people might not even know Alpha Centauri (so Polaris was actually a 2nd choice for me).  I have to admit I don't even know off top my head Sirius is brightest, nor was I aware that Proxima Centauri is actually closest (thought it was Alpha) and had to clear that up with Wikipedia. :XD:

Did ccexplore not answer this?

I answered "my own private island".  Honestly, people, think big!!!! ;P

And yeah, seems like a recurring theme this year with the results post always forgetting one of my answers. :-\ However, I checked the math afterwards and the 7.37/6.87 did include 0.2 on that question, so all's well.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 06:53:29 AM »
1. goat (I wanted to guess "load", but people will probably not follow suit because it ends with "d" unlike "boat" in the written, not spoken, question.)

That seems like German way of thinking? ???  At least the way I learned English, the final "d" and "t" sounds are different.  Though I don't know how much that matters for rhyming.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »
* various comments of the form "I'm sure I had the best answer to question ##" *

I must start writing these quizzes again :D

edit: written up most of a quiz since making this post 8()