Author Topic: Family Feud 2014  (Read 65992 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Family Feud 2014
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
Hello nice people,

let's celebrate the retrieval of the Quizmaster account!

This works like the Family Feud game a year ago.

Everybody shall participate! Look at the newest challenge of this thread and send your answers via personal message to the quizmaster.

Do not answer the questions in this post -- this is an old challenge!

For each family feud question, you get (participants with your answer) / (number of votes the most popular answer got) points. So, try to answer with the most popular answer:

1. Are you happy that the Quizmaster is back?
2. Name a food that bunnies eat.
3. Guess an ingredient in today's cooked dinner of geoo and Simon!
4. What equipment does Snyder's of Hanover (a snack company) use to turn pretzels into pretzel pieces?
5. Name a shape with three sides that is not a square.
6. Which Lemmings 2 tribe would you like to join? Here's the map.
7. Which of the following capybara gentlemen is the most dapper?

These questions have their own scoring scheme:

8. It's a conga line! Let's celebrate the quizmaster. Name a forum member (except Quizmaster) to put your hands on his shoulders. You get 0.3 points for every person in front of you in your component of the conga line. If you manage to close a cycle, you get a bonus of 0.5 points.

9. What does the quizmaster depicted in the avatar weigh in kilograms? Closest guesser to the average gets 1.0 point, next gets 0.8 points, then 0.6, then 0.4, then 0.2. If players tie, their placings and points are shared.

10. Guess a whole number between 0 and 9 inclusive. You get 1.0 point if you're closest to 2/3 of the average, 0.8 for the next place, etc., and ties are handled as in the previous question.

You can change your answers by submitting a new PM before the game ends.

This game runs for a couple days, and results will be posted when I believe no more answers will come in.

-- Quizmaster

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
Cool! :party:  You should probably give it a few more extra days though to account for the ongoing MUMS puzzle thing.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
in the event of a tie, we should move to a bonus round called SUDDEN DEATH where the tied members play a pick-a-number type of game which cannot end in a tie.
Or, like in the real family feud, go back to the original questions but the contestants must now pick new answers.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
For question 8, is it possible to earn the 0.5 bonus points by choosing to put your hands on your own shoulders to form a degenerate cycle of 1? ;P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
Yes, cycles of 1 award 0.5 points.

The number of people in front of you is calculated like this: Point to yourself, loop this: advance the pointer, if pointing to (nobody or yourself or already pointed-to person): break; otherwise score += 0.3; end loop. So the trivial cycle is not worth any points in the loop, only the 0.5 bonus.

If the path from you eventually leads to a cycle that doesn't contain yourself, you don't get the 0.5 bonus, since you're not part of the cycle. You get full points for everybody in front of you (including those in the cycle) still.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »
Thanks for clarifying.

And I feel the need to emphasize to everyone that just because I brought it up doesn't mean it's the answer I plan to give for that question.  I do plan to touch someone else so please don't avoid me thinking I'll do the self-touch thing.  (Yes, risqué wording intentional.) ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
*Bump* given my previous post's proximity to a forum outage.

For question 8 I do not plan to answer with the solo conga, despite my public question about it (which I rather regret now). :-\

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Family Feud 2014 -- Feud 1 results
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
13 people have participated, of which Yassin and Stephan are real-life friends of mine. They have visited me while geoo is here this week.

1. Are you happy that the quizmaster is back?
yes: 1 point -- everybody

Quote by Insane Steve: "1) Yea, obviously (easiest question in forum history?)"

2. Name a food that bunnies eat.
carrots: 1 point -- Simon, geoo, Ramon, Akseli, Yassin, möbius, Steve, ccexplore, Stephan, Clam
grass/hay: 1/5 point -- NaOH, Rubix
Lettuce: 1/10 point -- Matt

3. Guess an ingredient in today's cooked dinner of geoo and Simon!
wurst: 1 point -- geoo, NaOH, Rubix, Matt, Yassin
noodles/ramen/pasta: 4/5 points -- Simon, Akseli, möbius, Steve
ham: 2/5 points -- ccexplore, Clam
clams: 1/5 point -- Ramon
rice: 1/5 point -- Stephan

That day's menu was noodles with cubed ham, leek, creme fraiche, and curry. Delicious and not too wursty, even though wurst has won. Leek is a good ingredient in many meals. Use it wisely!

4. What equipment does Snyder's of Hanover (a snack company) use to turn pretzels into pretzel pieces?
hammer: 1 point -- geoo, Clam
rolling pin: 1/2 points -- Simon
factory: 1/2 points -- NaOH
Large Hadron Collider: 1/2 points -- Rubix
pretzel twister (with "?" smiley): 1/2 points -- Matt
knife: 1/2 points -- Ramon
teeth: 1/2 points -- Akseli
clam: 1/2 points -- Yassin
pass: 1/2 points -- möbius
weight trap from L1: 1/2 points -- Steve
machines: 1/2 points -- ccexplore
grinder: 1/2 points -- Stephan

geoo and me consider the LPC (large pretzel collider) the best answer. Unfortunately, it's worth just half a point, like almost everything.

Akseli, bon appetit! (for answering teeth)

möbius, what is a pass in this context?

Steve, the 10-ton weight is better suited for making flour from the pretzels, instead of making pretzel pieces.

5. Name a shape with three sides that is not a square.
triangle: 1 point -- everyone

I wanted to lure people into answering rectangle. Nobody has bitten!

6. Which Lemmings 2 tribe would you like to join? Here's the map.
beach: 1 point -- NaOH, Ramon, Clam
circus: 1 point -- Yassin, möbius, Steve
space: 2/3 points -- Simon, geoo
outdoor: 2/3 points -- Rubix, Akseli
egyptian: 1/3 point -- Matt
classic: 1/3 point -- ccexplore
highland: 1/3 point -- Stephan

geoo doesn't understand ccexplore picking Classic. Why would anyone want to be in the tribe that uses exploders and saves the fewest for gold?

7. Which of the following capybara gentlemen is the most dapper?
right one: 1 point -- Simon, geoo, Akseli, möbius, Stephan, Clam
left/central one: 1 point -- NaOH, Rubix, Ramon, Yassin, Steve, ccexplore
front/bottom one: 1/6 point -- Matt

Quote by ccexplore: "the leftmost one [ie. the one with its right hand placed on neck/shoulder of the middle one--perhaps an attempt to start a conga line?]"

Quote by Steve: "The middle one, I mean LOOK AT HOW CASUAL HE SIPS THAT MARTINI, LOOK AT THAT I MEAN"

8. It's a conga line! Let's celebrate the quizmaster. Name a forum member (except Quizmaster) to put your hands on his shoulders. You get 0.3 points for every person in front of you in your component of the conga line. If you manage to close a cycle, you get a bonus of 0.5 points.

9. What does the quizmaster depicted in the avatar weigh in kilograms? Closest guesser to the average gets 1.0 point, next gets 0.8 points, then 0.6, then 0.4, then 0.2. If players tie, their placings and points are shared.

9 kg -- Matt
40 kg -- Yassin
70 kg -- Clam
72 kg -- Rubix
86 kg -- ccexplore (1 point)
87 kg -- Ramon (0.8 points)
88 kg -- Akseli (0.6 points)
89 kg -- Simon (0.4 points)
90 kg -- geoo (0.2 points)
91 kg -- Stephan
99 kg -- NaOH
100 kg -- Steve
200 kg -- möbius

Despite strange guesses with 8.5 kg and 200 kg, the average is 86.2 kg. We've rounded the values to full kilograms, but the placings and thus the point payoffs would have remained the same if the exact values had been used.

ccexplore has picked for his guess the American average weight. It has worked out nicely. We have a representative sample of the American population!

10. Guess a whole number between 0 and 9 inclusive. You get 1.0 point if you're closest to 2/3 of the average, 0.8 for the next place, etc., and ties are handled as in the previous question.

1 -- Simon, geoo, NaOH, Yassin (0.15 points each)
2 -- Ramon, ccexplore (0.9 points each)
3 -- Akseli (0.6 points)
4 -- Stephan
5 -- Rubix, möbius
6 -- Matt
7 -- Steve
8() -- Clam

The average is 3.5, and 2/3 of this is 2.3, making 2 the winning guess.

Total scores

7.52 -- geoo
7.50 -- Ramon
7.45 -- Yassin
7.36 -- Akseli
7.23 -- ccexplore
6.72 -- Simon
6.40 -- möbius
6.30 -- Clam
6.05 -- NaOH
5.80 -- Steve
5.27 -- Rubix
5.23 -- Stephan
5.13 -- Matt

Congratulations geoo! Clam picking your tool for crushing the Snyder's did it for you. It's hammer time!

-- Quizmaster

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
Wow I actually didn't realize question 9 was an "average" question as well  :P I seriously looked at the avatar and analyzed his body parts to come to a realistic conclusion  8)

Also just missed geoo by 0.02 points, I'm gonna catch up next time  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Hey Simon, did you score me at all on question 4 (answer "machines")? ???  I better have my 1/2 point there like everyone else.

==============================

I was under the impression that people here don't pay much attention or care for Lemmings 2 so Classic seems like a safe if boring choice.  I'm glad I'm wrong though.  And I'd argue that since we only know of 3 tribes that made it to Lemmings 3, the rest's fates are technically unknown and so Classic (along with Egyptian and Shadow) would be good choices in that regards. ;)

I'm curious whether mobius' 200 kg is due to forgetting the answer is in kg not pounds.  Then again in the land of obesity maybe it's not all that extreme a guess (and isn't Mobius from the Southern parts of US known for frying everything)? ;P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:45:20 PM »
Hi cc, I've added your entry for that question in the results post. Everybody but the 1-point-scorers got 1/2 point for that in my manual addition, so the totals were correct.

-- Simon

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
200kg is a bit less than 441 lbs. I know for a fact there's a lot of people who weigh more than that. A bit surprised at the low guesses there, I mean those broad shoulders  ???

Also there's no room in the get out conga point (you can't make a defined line with only one point) for anyone else because if they were they'd be told to get out obviously.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
4. I should've got a 0 technically, becuase "pass" meant I wasn't answering--I couldn't think of anything, even a funny answer. I did eventually think of a good answer but it was too late. :(

7. Right one is top answer because he stands out/ doesn't overlap the others as much and your eye is drawn to him first.

9. mobius doesn't have any idea how many pounds=kilograms. I got confused remembering that the "gram" the middle/standard mesurment is ridiculously small and over-componsated.

mobius is not from the southern parts of the U.S actually. I would've guessed a lower weight if I was unlazy enough to look up kilograms. Considering the quizmaster has no legs...
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:13 AM »
Is next round coming up anytime soon?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
If anyone wants to host one, he can get the password.

Otherwise I'll host a round of mafia with geoo's rules: Including exploders, who are evil along with the mafia, but don't know who the mafia is; they may instant-kill anybody at day and die along with them.

-- Simon