Author Topic: [PC][RPG] Legends of an Otherworld  (Read 57874 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I'm happy to do that if it'll be helpful (assuming I can find it), but be warned that it may be a mess.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
A tip: Either disable the ability to change the formation, or make sure to use it in testing. It's not unusual for people to forget that this option exists, and if you change the party leader, it can cause duplicate characters to appear in cutscenes (because many users will fail to take into account that the party leader can be any character within the party). It is fixable, but I don't quite remember exactly how to do it - it wasn't too complicated, though, and if you need this information I can look for a project where I made use of it.

No danger of me forgetting that in my project -- there are six available characters and the player chooses three to form their party, so I have to take into account that the party leader and followers may be any of the six characters.

@Proxima: maybe you'll find it even more useful to see if namida may be willing to share to you some of the actual RPG Maker project files?  I imagine it'd be a little like looking at Lix's source code in addition to playing the game itself.

Not really; I'm not looking at the game to learn how things are done, but to get a feel for what it's like to play through a game, what balancing decisions I agree with and what I'd do differently in my own game :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
@Proxima: do post your game (or a demo version thereof) here, or at least provide a download link, once it gets to that point.  I probably won't finish it but certainly wouldn't mind trying it for a few hours at least.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
One small hint that could be a lifesaver, Proxima: (spoiler tagged in case you dont' want hints)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
To correct some misconceptions / overlooked features I've noticed so far (these are all either basic features that might not be obvious how to access, and are not spoilery or hinty; or stuff you've specifically brought up in your videos). Some of these I may have mentioned in comments on the videos.
- When viewing scan info for an enemy, you can press a key (shift, IIRC) to switch to viewing their status resistances. And (an NPC tells you this early in the game) if you try an element or status on them once, their weakness / resistance to that status becomes visible in their scan info, even if you haven't scanned them.
- You can move quickly between characters on the status, equip, etc screens, with whatever was the default key for this in RPG Maker - might be Z and X?
- Ivy's Learn -> Blue Magic shows a full list of blue magics that exist. Although do note that due to the game being incomplete, some of them are inaccessible.
- Luck doesn't affect status infliction. It affects the chance of not missing, and the chance of getting a critical hit. I can't remember if it affected Steal's success or not. It definitely doesn't affect statuses.

And one that is slightly spoilery (since you might want to figure this out for yourself, it's the kind of thing that could be figured out), but is still mostly just game mechanics:

Appreciate the comment on *spoiler, see below*. This was one of the boss fights I put the most effort into, glad to see it paid off. :)
Click to reveal which battle (click to show/hide)

And regarding Cube (not really a spoiler since it's an out-of-nowhere boss), you didn't break the fight, that was an intentional weakness. :)

Now, to comment on something of your storyline speculation. Although this part never got into the game (though parts do exist in the source, including several completely functional boss fights), it is hinted at a bit more later in the game, though nothing ever outright confirms it. Do note that this may also mean they're spoilers for a remake or completion of the game, if I ever do get around to either.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:48:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Is the following a bug or an intentional mechanic? I hope it's not intentional, because I am feeling very frustrated at this point.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:34:22 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I notice that the link in the first post was somewhat outdated, there was one further update since then. Although, this update just fixes one bug (albeit one that can be quite game-breaking, specifically, if you return to a certain area after completing the events there you can be unable to leave). Anyway, I updated the link. I also found a copy of the source code, so I put up a link to that too, as well as a few notes about a debug room that can be accessed via the source code version.

To those of you who have played this, I would be interested in seeing your overall feedback on what did or didn't work well, whether it relates to specific parts of the game or the overall system. While I don't know if it ever will happen, I am hoping to remake this game one day (with completely original assets, most likely including a custom-made engine even, and better writing etc), so any feedback that I could take into account for that would be great.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:16:42 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
You wanted feedback, so here it is. I noticed a few bugs in the current game, but as you plan to do a complete rewrite, I do not mention them here.
Overall it's pretty well-designed and has nice dungeons, random monsters and boss fights. So don't be frustrated should I sound overly negative in the spoilers.
And I tried to use relatively spoiler-free titles, while still giving enough information about when it is save to read this stuff.

My current party (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:38:45 PM by Nepster »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
It's been a while since I played this, so I probably won't provide any feedback now unless I get the chance to replay it again, likely from beginning (though I also have the option to play from the backup files correspond to whenever's the last time I touched the game).  I will say though that skimming through Nepster's "general stuff", at least a few points he mentioned are stuff I kind of took for granted based on experiences with other RPGs, so I guess the feedback will likely also depend on which other RPGs the player has played previously.  Of course, just because it's "normal" (or perhaps a better term would be "conventional" as in following the "usual" conventions of these kinds of games) doesn't mean it has to be slavishly accepted.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Reply to ccexplore (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Feedback on above. I'll just spoiler tag the whole thing, but I'll split it into two - one for up to where Proxima's up to (based on latest video, which is currently part 19), and the rest up to where Nepster's up to (which is at, but not past, a boss fight against two undead enemies - I think only one such boss fight exists so this should identify it).

Spoilers up to these respective points will not be further marked, including those that are gameplay mechanic spoilers rather than story ones. Any spoilers beyond those points that are brought up within the tags, will be spoiler marked as nessecary.

Up to Proxima's current point (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:15:02 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:24:06 AM by ccexplore »