Author Topic: I'm modifying Lemmini - any suggestions?  (Read 33844 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
I'm modifying Lemmini - any suggestions?
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:32:02 AM »
I have been modifying Lemmini for the past year or so and made lots of bug fixes and feature additions. Here are some feature highlights:
  • Game mechanics more faithful to the Amiga version while preserving Lemmini's smooth motion
  • Automatic mod support: Level packs can apply added and changed assets when loaded
  • Support for WAV, AIFF, AU, OGG, XM, S3M, MOD, and MIDI music (sorry, no MP3 support; the only SPI plug-in that I could find broke MIDI)
  • PNG and GIF graphics
  • Level background support
  • 323 levels included (sort of; extraction from Windows version is still necessary):
    • 120 levels from original Amiga Lemmings
    • 4 levels from "Free with Commodore Promotion Pack" version
    • 2 levels from "Book Club" version
    • Apple level (see here)
    • "Going Their Separate Ways" from Mac version
    • 100 OMNL levels
    • 2 Xmas '91 levels
    • 4 Xmas '92 levels
    • 32 Xmas '93 levels from Amiga version
    • "Vacation in Gemland" from DOS version of Xmas '93
    • 32 Xmas '94 levels
    • 8 levels from COVOX Lemmings
    • 16 levels from Lemmings Companion
That's not a full list; there are other new features too.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, let me know.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: I'm modifying Lemmini - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:45:12 AM »
Hey, I'm pleased to see an update to something that has been around for a long while. I'm excited about playing all of these new levels, including those in the Xmas graphic set.

I don't have any suggestions, but as you said you made lots of bug fixes, did you fix the ceiling-bash bug? (Which was mentioned earlier in the forum)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm really glad to hear about this! There are a few things about Lemmini that bug me immensely, and at some point I downloaded the Lemmini source for myself but didn't get around to doing my desired changes. I have a few suggestions that I was aiming to implement, most of which should be rather easy to realize:

• For me the most essential addition would be this: A shortcut to Replay a level (i.e. restart with action replay) that instantly restarts the level (without intermediate screens displaying level stats or anything).
  • It's more of a personal preference (so maybe it'd be better as an option?), but for me Action Replay should be cancelled whenever you click anywhere on the screen, not just the skill bar.
  • Make the right-click scrolling speed adjustable
  • A big bonus for me would be configurable hotkeys, in particular all the skills, pause, fast forward, restart level, directional select (but preferrably everything else too).
  • Allow to save and load replays for standalone levels (maybe dump it as filename.rpl somewhere where filename is the file name of the .lvl/.ini level file).

Music support: I see you got quite a bunch of formats covered there. I'm curious how hard it'd be to support VGM, as that'd finally allow to have the DOS music in a lemmings clone. There seems to be a library for that, not sure whether compatible though: http://www.update.uu.se/~bjarni/soft_projects/libvgm/

I think it'd be desirable to have backward compatibility with the old Lemmini, as a lot of levels have been made for it, and I suppose avid Lemmini users would also be more willing to update. So the alternate physics should probably be an option then to be stored with the level (to indicate which physics to play them with), and if not indicated in the level file, the previous Lemmini physics should be chosen (for backward compatibility), maybe with the odd 'basher stopping too early' glitch fixed (I hope no level actually abuses it in its favour). I read in the other topic about your intention to bring back the steel behaviour with all its glitches. So it looks like you're going for as accurate as possible, just wondering what's your goal there. Unless you disassemble the game I don't think you can get prefectly accurate physics, I guess you could get a little more compatibility with all the DOS levels though (though the DOS physics are a bit different from Amiga too I think). Maybe it's better to aim for 'good physics' in spirit of the Amiga physics, 'good' meaning no weird steel glitches, and 'in spirit of the Amiga physics' meaning e.g. miners turn around on steel?

On a different note, shall I move your post from http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=794.msg16972;topicseen#msg16972 over into this thread? Note that it'd appear as first post of the thread, but you can edit it.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:57:14 AM »
If you intend to include all the official levels (which it looks like you do), there's also the Genesis version which has a bunch of unique levels. It's available in .dat format on the levelpack archive.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
Music support: I see you got quite a bunch of formats covered there. I'm curious how hard it'd be to support VGM, as that'd finally allow to have the DOS music in a lemmings clone. There seems to be a library for that, not sure whether compatible though: http://www.update.uu.se/~bjarni/soft_projects/libvgm/

IIRC Lemmini's written in Java right?  The library you linked to doesn't seem to be for Java, but maybe I missed something on the page.

I read in the other topic about your intention to bring back the steel behaviour with all its glitches. So it looks like you're going for as accurate as possible, just wondering what's your goal there. Unless you disassemble the game I don't think you can get prefectly accurate physics, I guess you could get a little more compatibility with all the DOS levels though (though the DOS physics are a bit different from Amiga too I think). Maybe it's better to aim for 'good physics' in spirit of the Amiga physics, 'good' meaning no weird steel glitches, and 'in spirit of the Amiga physics' meaning e.g. miners turn around on steel?

Also, IIRC Lemmini uses WinLemm's hi-res graphics, and the game mechanics operates over the high-resolution.  This alone would seem to already get in the way of 100% accurate emulation of Amiga, where the graphics were lo-res to start with.  This is actually why I never bothered pushing for 100% accurate emulation when Lemmini first started, it seems incompatible with the goal of smoother motion through hi-res.

Thus I agree with geoo here, that I think the idea should be more to aim for "good/similar physics" using Amiga as a possible guide, but not going so far as copying some of the more questionable behaviors that were never required by the original levels.  People can always just use an Amiga emulator if 100% accurate emulation is needed.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
If you intend to include all the official levels (which it looks like you do), there's also the Genesis version which has a bunch of unique levels. It's available in .dat format on the levelpack archive.
Say, are the levels unique to the Master System version there, too? I'd imagine they'd be worthy inclusions also!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
A few bugs I'm aware of...

- Fun 14 - Origins and Lemmings - only has a 4 minute time limit.  It should be 6.
- Bashers and Miners don't turn around if they strike steel or arrows pointing in the wrong direction.
- Bashers sometimes don't break through the wall when bashing to the right, leaving a pixel-thick barrier behind.
- Being 1% below the requirement displays the wrong message. It should display "OH NO! So near and yet so far! (Teehee!!) Maybe next time..." instead of "You got pretty close that time. Now try again for that few % extra."
- The "In" and "Time" fields on the status bar all shift one space to the right if the "Out" counter reads 100.  A similar thing happens if "In" reads 100% (although the screen fades too, so it isn't seen for long).
- "Pass-through" Blockers don't work.

Suggestions (if they're not already in place):

- Bashers and Miners should complete a full swing if they strike steel and not leave a 'step'.
- Should bombers should go through their "Oh no" animation if they're climbing a wall? Currently they just explode instantly.
- If you don't have any quantity of a particular skill, it shouldn't display any number at all instead of 00, which may be confusing for a beginner when they play "Just dig" for the first time.  Having just the 10 showing over the Digger tool will draw their attention there.  Maybe dimming the actual icon to a darker colour will work as well if you cannot use them.
- Should a drowning Lemming be a "DROWNER" instead of "DROWNING" to be consistent with "WALKER", "JUMPER" and "SPLATTER" etc.?
- Make sure the Mayhem levels are their Amiga originals... that is, The Crossroads only has 10 Bombers and 10 Bashers (and a 100% requirement), The Fast Food Kitchen has 2 minutes instead of 3, and The Steel Mines of Kessel only has 10 Bombers, Blockers and Builders instead of 20 (and 100 lemmings with a requirement of 90%).

Really ambitious suggestion:

- 2-player mode!  How I'd love to play that on the PC somehow.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
I don't have any suggestions, but as you said you made lots of bug fixes, did you fix the ceiling-bash bug? (Which was mentioned earlier in the forum)
You mean where the game crashes if the basher is very close to the top of the level? Yes, that's fixed.

• For me the most essential addition would be this: A shortcut to Replay a level (i.e. restart with action replay) that instantly restarts the level (without intermediate screens displaying level stats or anything).
  • It's more of a personal preference (so maybe it'd be better as an option?), but for me Action Replay should be cancelled whenever you click anywhere on the screen, not just the skill bar.
  • Make the right-click scrolling speed adjustable
  • A big bonus for me would be configurable hotkeys, in particular all the skills, pause, fast forward, restart level, directional select (but preferrably everything else too).
  • Allow to save and load replays for standalone levels (maybe dump it as filename.rpl somewhere where filename is the file name of the .lvl/.ini level file).
I'll look into implementing these, although I make no guarantees.

I think it'd be desirable to have backward compatibility with the old Lemmini, as a lot of levels have been made for it, and I suppose avid Lemmini users would also be more willing to update. So the alternate physics should probably be an option then to be stored with the level (to indicate which physics to play them with), and if not indicated in the level file, the previous Lemmini physics should be chosen (for backward compatibility), maybe with the odd 'basher stopping too early' glitch fixed (I hope no level actually abuses it in its favour). I read in the other topic about your intention to bring back the steel behaviour with all its glitches. So it looks like you're going for as accurate as possible, just wondering what's your goal there. Unless you disassemble the game I don't think you can get prefectly accurate physics, I guess you could get a little more compatibility with all the DOS levels though (though the DOS physics are a bit different from Amiga too I think). Maybe it's better to aim for 'good physics' in spirit of the Amiga physics, 'good' meaning no weird steel glitches, and 'in spirit of the Amiga physics' meaning e.g. miners turn around on steel?
Also, IIRC Lemmini uses WinLemm's hi-res graphics, and the game mechanics operates over the high-resolution.  This alone would seem to already get in the way of 100% accurate emulation of Amiga, where the graphics were lo-res to start with.  This is actually why I never bothered pushing for 100% accurate emulation when Lemmini first started, it seems incompatible with the goal of smoother motion through hi-res.

Thus I agree with geoo here, that I think the idea should be more to aim for "good/similar physics" using Amiga as a possible guide, but not going so far as copying some of the more questionable behaviors that were never required by the original levels.  People can always just use an Amiga emulator if 100% accurate emulation is needed.
Adding a switch to toggle the old Lemmini behavior, regardless of the default setting, would be an enormous task and is probably not worth the trouble. Yes, I'm trying to mimic the Amiga behavior to the best extent possible with the doubled frame rate. It's certainly not perfect, but it's pretty close.

To help prevent the high-resolution graphics from causing too much trouble, I added masks for the terrain pieces to help keep the original behavior without compromising visual quality. It's not an elegant solution, but it works, and custom styles don't have to use this feature.

I decided to reverse my decision on the steel behavior: The "fixed" steel will now be the default, and a new toggle (I'm thinking of "classicSteel") will use the old behavior. The included levels will use the latter.

I also won't make objects fake automatically; a new flag in object_x will control that. The LVL importer will add the "fake" flag to any object that is not an entrance and has an index of 16 (zero-based) or higher.

I probably won't include them in the program itself, but I'd love to make them available as a pack. Are those levels modified in any way other than for centering? Since levels in my version of Lemmini can be any width (like in Lemmings 2), I'd rather not use those levels if they're modified.

- Fun 14 - Origins and Lemmings - only has a 4 minute time limit.  It should be 6.
- Bashers and Miners don't turn around if they strike steel or arrows pointing in the wrong direction.
- Bashers sometimes don't break through the wall when bashing to the right, leaving a pixel-thick barrier behind.
- The "In" and "Time" fields on the status bar all shift one space to the right if the "Out" counter reads 100.  A similar thing happens if "In" reads 100% (although the screen fades too, so it isn't seen for long).
All of these are fixed.

- Being 1% below the requirement displays the wrong message. It should display "OH NO! So near and yet so far! (Teehee!!) Maybe next time..." instead of "You got pretty close that time. Now try again for that few % extra."
This one's fixed too. I've got 9 different ending messages in Lemmini now, and their criteria should be correct. I've also added a feature allowing level packs to use their own messages, so ONML and Holiday Lemmings should have the correct messages.

- "Pass-through" Blockers don't work.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

- Bashers and Miners should complete a full swing if they strike steel and not leave a 'step'.
- Should bombers should go through their "Oh no" animation if they're climbing a wall? Currently they just explode instantly.
- If you don't have any quantity of a particular skill, it shouldn't display any number at all instead of 00, which may be confusing for a beginner when they play "Just dig" for the first time.  Having just the 10 showing over the Digger tool will draw their attention there.  Maybe dimming the actual icon to a darker colour will work as well if you cannot use them.
- Should a drowning Lemming be a "DROWNER" instead of "DROWNING" to be consistent with "WALKER", "JUMPER" and "SPLATTER" etc.?
- Make sure the Mayhem levels are their Amiga originals... that is, The Crossroads only has 10 Bombers and 10 Bashers (and a 100% requirement), The Fast Food Kitchen has 2 minutes instead of 3, and The Steel Mines of Kessel only has 10 Bombers, Blockers and Builders instead of 20 (and 100 lemmings with a requirement of 90%).
All of these are implemented. (Unavailable skills will not display a number at all.)

- 2-player mode!  How I'd love to play that on the PC somehow.
Yes, I'd love to add this! However, I'd like to make sure everything else is implemented and working properly first. I will also need to learn how to do networking in Java.

Also, I think you guys will be happy to know that "stretching" will be easier, hopefully as easy as in the original game.

About compatibility, old Lemmini levels and level packs will probably work properly if they don't use the "special" style (I've changed how that's handled) or physics quirks specific to Lemmini. Player files should work since the format hasn't changed. Old replays won't work at all; even if I did support them, they wouldn't play quite right because the lemmings are now released a bit later (Just a Minute (Part 2) is still possible, trust me!).

On a different note, shall I move your post from http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=794.msg16972;topicseen#msg16972 over into this thread? Note that it'd appear as first post of the thread, but you can edit it.
If that's the case, then I'd rather you don't do that.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
To help prevent the high-resolution graphics from causing too much trouble, I added masks for the terrain pieces to help keep the original behavior without compromising visual quality. It's not an elegant solution, but it works, and custom styles don't have to use this feature.

Sounds good.  Mayhem 26 could be a good test to see if hi-res causes any unexpected trouble, as that level is known to have caused inadvertent differences on Mac Lemmings (which also uses hi-res graphics, though the game mechanics still operates over low-res) making the level a bit harder than intended.  Tricky 16 might also be a useful test (to see if the minimum number of bombers required is still 3 or not).

<snip>there's also the Genesis version which has a bunch of unique levels.<snip>
I probably won't include them in the program itself, but I'd love to make them available as a pack. Are those levels modified in any way other than for centering? Since levels in my version of Lemmini can be any width (like in Lemmings 2), I'd rather not use those levels if they're modified.

I think the ones Clam linked to probably were modified, but regardless, I'm pretty sure I still have the unmodified (but recentered) version on my old computer somewhere, which I'll upload here if/when I find them.  I would definitely recommend the Lemmini version of those levels to adhere to the true width of Genesis levels (something like 512 IIRC) for a more authentic experience.  Indeed, most of the post-conversion modifications were precisely to address the fact that DOS Lemmings have a fixed width that is much larger than Genesis's.  Such modifications would be unnecessary when the width can be correctly set.

One interesting wrinkle though would be, some of the Genesis unique levels might still call for some post-conversion modifications in Lemmini, due to the use of hi-res graphics.  Specifically, there are a couple of levels that make extensive use of eraser terrain pieces to "carve" some unique shapes out of the terrain, and who knows how they'd look unmodified using the hi-res graphics (though I imagine in worst case, they'd probably just look a little jagged at the edges but otherwise retain the basic shapes).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »
A "pass-through" Blocker is where you turn a lemming into a Blocker the moment he finishes falling, usually straight out the trapdoor.  Under the Amiga version (and most other versions), subsequent lemmings who fall on top of the Blocker (or anywhere between his arms) won't be turned around, and it's a common trick to set up Blocker traps in tight spaces.  On Lemmini, the lemmings will turn around.

Other problems and suggestions:

- Trigger areas for interactive objects are too sensitive.  As a result it's practically impossible to build over the Brick's stomper trap on level ground (observed in my "Iron Curtain" level).  Mind you, the Brick tileset has some weird trigger areas set up.

- Builders turn around if any of their body hits an obstruction (or is embedded in it).  This makes it very hard to build up through thin floors (e.g. King of the Castle).  Under Amiga and other versions, I believe only the top of his head and his feet are checked.

- On levels with only 1:00 on the clock, does it display "Time: 1 Minutes" (Amiga version) or the more grammatically correct "Time: 1 Minute" (DOS version)?

- If a custom trap (e.g. the compressor in the Marble tileset) kills the last lemming, it should be allowed to complete its animation before the level ends.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
I've attached a zip of all Genesis Lemmings levels that were "recentered but not modified".  (Note: Sunsft18.lvl is a special graphics level.  I'll have to dig deeper to see if I can find a VGASPEC for the graphics, though I'm pretty sure I have at least the terrain bitmap if nothing else.)  Use 512 as the width for now.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:31 AM »
A "pass-through" Blocker is where you turn a lemming into a Blocker the moment he finishes falling, usually straight out the trapdoor.  Under the Amiga version (and most other versions), subsequent lemmings who fall on top of the Blocker (or anywhere between his arms) won't be turned around, and it's a common trick to set up Blocker traps in tight spaces.  On Lemmini, the lemmings will turn around.
That's what I thought you meant. Yes, this is fixed in my version.

- Trigger areas for interactive objects are too sensitive.  As a result it's practically impossible to build over the Brick's stomper trap on level ground (observed in my "Iron Curtain" level).  Mind you, the Brick tileset has some weird trigger areas set up.
Fixed. I used the data from the DOS version to make the new object masks. (I don't think any object trigger areas differ between the Amiga and DOS versions. If they do, let me know.)

- Builders turn around if any of their body hits an obstruction (or is embedded in it).  This makes it very hard to build up through thin floors (e.g. King of the Castle).  Under Amiga and other versions, I believe only the top of his head and his feet are checked.
Also fixed. You're correct about that last statement.

- On levels with only 1:00 on the clock, does it display "Time: 1 Minutes" (Amiga version) or the more grammatically correct "Time: 1 Minute" (DOS version)?
I checked the Amiga version just now and it does say "1 Minute." But yes, my version is grammatically correct here.

- If a custom trap (e.g. the compressor in the Marble tileset) kills the last lemming, it should be allowed to complete its animation before the level ends.
Since this doesn't affect gameplay, I'll look into adding this.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:57:08 AM »
I’m glad that you’ve decided to make the old mechanics options which can be turned on and off. It’s a good method actually, Making it easy for one to test out something like challenges on the old mechanics but play newly created levels without the hassle of those broken mechanics.
When creating levels for Lemmix [that is DOS like mechanics (closer to Amiga than Lemmini currently is)] I find it annoying that you need to align the steel and all objects up to a non-helpful grid and only the Lemmings feet entering object triggers work, and other bothersome attributes.

And I do like the idea of including the original levels and using versions of those levels from Amiga which are better imo, with the proper stats and little graphical details like liquid across the bottom of many levels.
Btw, the current Lemmini original game levels are mostly of the Windows Lemmings version aren’t they; for example; the liquid across the bottom of many levels from Amiga is missing.

I must agree with something rtw said once; I prefer the black background of DOS over the blue of the Amiga. Excluding anything in regards to custom backgrounds, I think that’s a cool idea, but I’d prefer the default to be black.

One interesting wrinkle though would be, some of the Genesis unique levels might still call for some post-conversion modifications in Lemmini, due to the use of hi-res graphics.  Specifically, there are a couple of levels that make extensive use of eraser terrain pieces to "carve" some unique shapes out of the terrain, and who knows how they'd look unmodified using the hi-res graphics (though I imagine in worst case, they'd probably just look a little jagged at the edges but otherwise retain the basic shapes).

I’m not sure I get what you mean but I’ve played a large number of the Genesis levels in Lemmini (using both lvl and ini) and the levels look fine.

There is a problem however, and I’m not sure if you addressed this or not: Some Genesis levels are impossible like “Everyone turn left” if miners don’t turn when they hit one way walls (facing the wrong direction). (as is the current Lemmini behavior)

Fixed. I used the data from the DOS version to make the new object masks. (I don't think any object trigger areas differ between the Amiga and DOS versions. If they do, let me know.)

This is good. However, it's also true that the object triggers in regards to the exits are vastly improved in Lemmini since they are larger and make it easier to place in the level (you don't have to align it the grid or put a stupid piece of terrain there to make it work. So I'd say fix the traps but keep the exits the same.

Some other features I didn’t see mentioned that would be nice: (these are present in DOS/Lemmix.)

-When creating a game pack, somehow be able to see the codes to all your levels. Currently there is no way to “skip” a level in a game pack other than leaving the “game” and loading the level individually which is generally a pain since usually the levels aren’t titled but only have a number.

-Pieuw just alerted me to a possible strange glitch in Lemmini; the level codes not working as they should.  I suspect not much investigation has ever been done in this area (since not many people even use the codes anymore?). But I don’t know the details yet.

-blockers turn around ALL lemmings; that includes lemmings falling, climbing, building bashing, mining, digging, floating etc…

-when a digger is on nothing but air, he can still be assigned tasks like builder, this makes it easy to have a lemming move horizontally across the level by digging and building.
There are more things like this but it’s getting pretty technical and I don’t entirely like all of them anyway, and can do without them.

I recommend looking at this topic: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5b763a88f47991c45a8b9c996386cffa&topic=693.0

Keep in mind, many of these glitches are still under investigation.

-----------------------------
btw, here is how to save replays in the current Lemmini: (maybe this should be put in the sticky help topic?)
How to save a replay (of a non-game level) file in Lemmini:

after playing a level successfully; select “replay” on the completion menu screen and watch the replay to its end. Go to your root Lemmini folder and find a file called “replay.rpl” this is the file. Copy/paste it somewhere else and rename it whatever you want.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »
I’m glad that you’ve decided to make the old mechanics options which can be turned on and off. It’s a good method actually, Making it easy for one to test out something like challenges on the old mechanics but play newly created levels without the hassle of those broken mechanics.

Actually you misread, Tsyu is saying it would be too much trouble to try to keep both mechanics around:

Adding a switch to toggle the old Lemmini behavior, regardless of the default setting, would be an enormous task and is probably not worth the trouble.

I supposed you can always just keep the old version of Lemmini around for any levels/playings that required its specific behavior.

I’m not sure I get what you mean but I’ve played a large number of the Genesis levels in Lemmini (using both lvl and ini) and the levels look fine.

Present 14 is one example I have in mind, where the perfectly circular holes in the two "rings" are meticulously carved out by many eraser terrain pieces:

To be clear, I'm not saying that the hi-res version would look totally wrong, just that you will likely get low-res artifacts from these kinds of terrain constructions, and they might stick out against the otherwise hi-res graphics.  Of course I don't have Lemmini set up to confirm, so this might end up not a problem.  And of course this is a non-issue for most levels which are "normal".

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
then what does this mean?
I decided to reverse my decision on the steel behavior: The "fixed" steel will now be the default, and a new toggle (I'm thinking of "classicSteel") will use the old behavior. The included levels will use the latter.

I also won't make objects fake automatically; a new flag in object_x will control that. The LVL importer will add the "fake" flag to any object that is not an entrance and has an index of 16 (zero-based) or higher.

in any case; I'll have to admit my preferences. I don’t mean to squash your ambition Tsyu, so please don’t take this too harshly. For myself, and I think most other of the Lemmini users; we are really not interested in a program that emulates the old games exactly. They are inferior. Since we have new technology why are we not trying to make programs that have better mechanics while keeping the charm of the old games?
Like already said; if someone wants the feel of Amiga they can use an emulator.
If this Lemmini has features that make many of the Lemmini levels/levelpacks not work they probably won't use it.

ccexplore: I believe I did play that particular level in Lemmini and I think it looks exactly the same, but I'll check again sometime.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain