Author Topic: Level Review – DoveLems  (Read 42305 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Level Review – DoveLems
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
----this is a review for the user created DoveLems-----

DoveLems is a comprehensive, 125-level Lemmini pack made by Dodochacalo.

You can get the current version of DoveLems (December 31st 2012) here, with an ini-file for playing levels smoothly.

I recommend that our reviews are based on that version so there wouldn't be any contradictions.

Here is Dodochacalo's YouTube channel, where you can get all of Dodochacalo's levels. (note, however the levelpacks obtained here lack the ini-files)

Rules and review format are same than in other review games, but I guess we aren't too strict with them. :) Now let's have fun and review this large, excellent custom levelpack!
(edited by Akseli)
-----------

pictures (from Gronkling):
.ZIP with all the images in

[Gronkling's pictures are now in the resources folder. Thank you to geoo for hosting them previously. [Adam]]

-----------

Plain 1 – Again our Famous Lemmings!

Lemmings: 20
Save: 20%
RR: 70
Time: 5 minutes

skills: 10 miners

good: it’s nice easy level to begin with. The art and design is really well done and original which continues throughout this whole set.

bad: I tad precision based seems bad to start off the game.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review – DoveLems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Is there a convenient set of pictures of these levels anywhere? If not, would it be worthwhile to make them? They sure would be nice :)
(edit: now there is, thanks Gronkling!)

Plain 2 - Critical Temperature

Lemmings: 10
Save: 2 (20%)
RR: 1
Time: 5
Skills: 10 bashers

Good: Easy, clean solution. Nice-looking compact design, with some neat touches (like the X).

Bad: Somewhat repetitive. Looks too intense for a training level. Rather difficult if you aren't aware of the directional select function.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
I've never played DoveLems, but I'm just wondering, where can you get the download to DoveLems? It would be nice to see a link. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
It's attached to this post in the Lemmini levelpack topic (edit: updated with correct link). I don't know where the "official" place is for Lemmini levels, but this one is a modified version so go with this anyway.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
Hey, thanks for the link. Now I can review DoveLems. :)

Plain 3 - Crazy Marble

Number of Lemmings: 10
Time: 5 Minutes
Release Rate: 40

Skills: 10 Diggers

Good: A nice introduction to diggers. Still not too many lemmings to save...
Bad: Some of the bricks and the position entrance make the design look messy. Also, there's no way out for a digger if it gets trapped in the steel.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
Hey, how nice it is to see that suddenly here are people who actually are enjoying playing Lemmini!  :thumbsup:

What do people think, should this topic be in Level Designing board because DoveLems is a custom levelpack? There are already Custom Level Review Game and Lemmix Level Reviews topics on Level Designing board. On the other hand, all official game review topics are here in Lemmings Discussion board, like L1, ONML, L2, Lemmings Revolution reviews etc. If other people think similarly, maybe a moderator could move this topic to Level Designing board? =)

Another thing, I think it should make sense that we are reviewing the same version of DoveLems, because there is a huge amount of differences between older and newer versions. I thought I made this clear on Lemmini Level Pack Topic. ??? The most updated version of DoveLems (December 31st 2012) can be downloaded with an ini-file from my post here, and the official place to get DoveLems is Dodochacalo's YouTube channel (but then you wouldn't get the ini-file). Gronkling's copy is from summer 2011 and it has much more backroutes which might disturb reviewing levels? :P

Is there a convenient set of pictures of these levels anywhere? If not, would it be worthwhile to make them? They sure would be nice :)
Gronkling is working on them at the moment! I'm not sure how he's proceeding, but I definitely think that we need level images for this topic. :)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
OK, I made the images but I haven't found a way to get them nicely online. It would be nice to get them on the lemmingsforum resources but I have no idea how, so I just made a .ZIP with all the images in for now.

Plain 4 - For the Honour

Number of Lemmings - 30
To be Saved - 6 (20%)
Time - 5:00
Release Rate - 40
Skills - 10 Bombers

Good: Definitely a Plain level, the bomber timing is very lenient so it's easy. The level design is mostly nice and clean as well (Dodochacalo is VERY good with the crystal tileset)
Bad: Could do with a bit more going on around the edges as it looks a bit empty and boring without it. The bit under the exit also looks a bit weird.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Super awesome work with the pictures, Gronkling! :thumbsup: They are even better than I hoped! Graphics are Lemmini style, all pictures are from the most fresh version of DoveLems, and I even like those sizes! What differs them from authentic gameplay: background is black instead of dark blue, and Plain3/ Coward10 and Coward17/Maso7 levels are cut from the edges, but I actually find these issues very pleasant also! :)

Plain 5 - Swallow Me !

Save: 10 (50%)
Release Rate: 60
Skills: 1 bomber, 10 blockers

Good: This might easily be my favourite tutorial level of ANY Lemmings levelpack. One of the thousand things I like in DoveLems is that even the tutorial levels are just completely stunning in my opinion. I absolutely love this design, and for example this detail, where you need to use blocker to prevent lemmings from ascending to the starting area, seems elaborated. Need of the bomber at the end finalizes the difficulty of this level perfect.

Bad: For me there's nothing bad. (I really tried to think!)

When I came to these forums last spring, I was secretly hoping that someday I could discuss and review Dodochacalo's levels here with people who are interested... I feel quite happy now. :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
:o I didn't expect this much activity. I couldn't figure out how to get the picture on the post so It's attached. Photobucket's such a pain in the neck because I rarely use it. What do you guys use to get the picture in the post?

Plain 6 - The Plant Lemmings

Save: 20%
RR: 10

skills: 10 builders.

Good: a good builder exercise. A Little more interesting than the original game's builder level. Plus it's easier to get out if you make a mistake. The decoration is awesome, with an appropriate title. It makes good use of the brick tileset.

Bad: nothing.
--------------

can someone give me the password to Coward 18, The Broken Tower? I'd like to play using the ini file way but up to now I haven't so I can't get there quickly.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
The admins can upload files (including images) to a repository on the forum: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/resources/. That's the usual place for level review pics.

EDIT: To clarify, the correct download is in this post, and not this post? In which case I should edit or remove the link in my post above.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »
I uploaded Gronkling's pictures to my webspace for now (see http://geoo.digibase.ca/lemmings/DovelemsPictures/). I'd rather have this be a temporary solution though as they take quite some space and hope Adam/Mr. K can upload the pictures to lemmingsforums resources.

Plain 7 - Faced With the Wall

Release Rate: 1
Skills: 1 digger, 10 climbers

Good: Deviates from the usual scheme of introducing deadly falls in conjunction with floaters. Gives a good estimate for the maximum safe fall height for the player, and you have some leeway in case some of the climbers splat so you don't need to restart. Design is simple and a little unconventional. RR set so digger finished in time to save 100% without having anyone walk back and forth. Walking/climbing distance set exactly so you don't need to do multitasking even at the default RR.

Bad: You're screwed if you ramp up the RR to 99 right and make everyone a climber right at the start.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:16 AM »
^ In the updated version, level 7 is called "Face the Wall".

Before we go on, we should make sure everyone has the right version, which is attached to this post in the Lemmini topic (sorry for linking the wrong one, I didn't notice the second post there).

Plain 8 - The Snowy Base

Lemmings: 30
Save: 15 (50%)
RR: 30
Skills: 10 builders, 1 each everything but floater

Good: First level that's not "training", difficulty hits but not too hard. Plenty of options and plenty of time (which as we'll soon see is uncommon).

Bad: It's still only level 8, so could be more generous with skills, especially builders.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »

Plain 9 - Through the Bubbles

Number of Lemmings - 30
To be Saved - 15 (50%)
Time - 5:00
Release Rate - 50
Skills - 2/2/2/2/3/2/2/2

Good: Overall nice design and solution that's not too hard to work out.
Bad: The sucker trap at the top is a bit silly and useless and could be removed to give 2 of each skill. Some of the objects also look a bit weird.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55:01 AM »
Plain 10 - The Woodrock Temple (formerly Temple of the Circles. The circles are gone from the map as well as the title... ???)

Lemmings: 30
Save: 20 (66%)
RR: 40
Skills: 10 blockers, 5 builders, 10 bashers, 10 miners

Good: Compact design but not too cramped. The trick doesn't hide itself unneccesarily.

Bad: Miner hole is awkward to build into. Bashers don't seem to serve a purpose.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Great reviews so far! I like reviewing levels but also I like to hear what other people think about these levels, so I find this a bit problematic in a positive way, if I want to review some levels or not. :D For example, how could geoo find so many points to mention from Face the Wall? From a climber tutorial level? Brilliant! :)

Thanks Clam for correcting the link now. :) Minimac, it would be nice if you'll make sure that you have the correct version now when reviewing levels. Also möbius, minimac and Clam, it would be nice if you'll edit the pictures for levels 1-3 and 6 in your reviews. : )

Dodochacalo is VERY good with the crystal tileset
I so agree with you, and we are going to see this especially in the later ratings. And For the Honour is also these tutorial levels I admire, I find that bombers are used here much more elegantly than just for getting through walls.

Plain 8: Actually the "intended" solution uses only 5 builders, but yeah that one is too tough for the beginners in my opinion. :P There certainly is a somewhat big difficulty gap between levels 1-7 and 8.
Plain 9: I guess that trap exists there for introduction purposes.

I hope that people now don't get confused of these different versions. :D The one which rtw is playing in his YouTube Let's Play series is that Gronkling's older copy from year 2011. That's why there are so many differences if you wondered. :) This one which we are reviewing here is the current version. Dodochacalo originally created DoveLems like 4-5 years ago, and he has updated his pack many many times after that. I actually have a copy of a version from year 2008 and I can tell that this pack has changed so much over the years. :D Some levels have changed considerably, backroutes have been blocked, design has been polished, level stats and titles have changed, too. Nowadays still, Dodochacalo makes improvements to his levels, and DoveLems is a kind of endless process (at least so far). And like I said in Lemmini Level Pack Topic, this pack has still backroutes notably in higher tier levels, but we definitely shouldn't get bothered of that! :)

Plain 11 - Concentration Camp

Save: 6 (60%)
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 6 climbers, 6 floaters, 2 bombers, 2 blockers, 2 builders, 2 bashers, 2 miners, 1 digger

Good: A kind of tutorial level for every skill and the first level to have floaters. In other words, a nice idea of a boot camp level which provides basics of the skills for beginners. Advanced players may think how they possibly could solve this level saving some skills. ;) This level teaches also that traps aren't always clearly visible.

Bad: The spots where miners have to be assigned are a little bit too strict for beginners, and the stairs just before that aren't completely straight. Some details, which are essential in the repeat level, may seem a bit odd here.