Author Topic: puzzles puzzles and more puzzles  (Read 6766 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
puzzles puzzles and more puzzles
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »
here’s a thread for puzzles, puzzles of all kinds. Come one, come all! Post a puzzle of your own design or somebody else’s or try to solve one. The only rule is… I don’t have any rules yet, If somebody really wants to make into a game or something more serious you can but I don’t have any ideas yet. For now, just post some puzzles!
-------------
okay, here’s a puzzle I just created. This is shortly after I had a look at some of the ridiculous puzzles on the puzzle contest. (ridiculous is an understatement) Anyway, this one probably isn’t too hard for those that were in the contest. Below the line is the entire puzzle. You’re allowed (need to pretty much) look on Wikipedia and you might need some pop culture knowledge. There is one and only one answer. Let me know exactly how difficult/easy this is or if it’s just stupid. (it’s nothing like that gear puzzle I posted)

If you post an answer remember to use spoiler tags!

-----------------------------

1. magical, austere, cunning
9. gullible, young, veracious
8. eccentric
2. reserved

1 – 2, 15, 23
2 – 1, 4, 26
3 – 14, 32, 36
4 – 15, 27, 53
5 – 3, 12, 18
6 – 29, 37, 39
7 – 4, 35, 41
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: puzzles puzzles and more puzzles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
Crossposted from the thread in General:

So on the puzzle competition board here I posted a few puzzles from a competition I want to host on another site somewhere. There's one more with a question on it posted there. I'd be very appreciative if some people gave it a go.

(If you don't have access to the puzzle group boards on that site let me know and I'll give it to you; you need this access to view the thread with the puzzles.)

As for the puzzle in the OP, I have hit on a couple things, but haven't put it all together yet.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:02:28 PM »
here are some hints in case anybody wants them;

-You’ll need Wikipedia or some encyclopedia

-the top part must be partially figured out first for the bottom part to makes sense/come into play.

-the words on top, themselves are meaningless

-study the letters in the words on top

any feedback on this puzzle is welcomed!

(I'm going to start trying to give more feedback on other people's things. The only reason I don't often is because I'm not good at it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:17 AM »
here is another puzzle I just made up. As I am new at this, I really don't know how this is going to be. But be warned; this may be extremely hard. I may have to modify it based on how well it goes.
Feedback is welcomed and I'll give hints if anybody wants them.

Another note: from now on If I ever post puzzles like this I'll put ~~~~~ as a line to indicate exactly where the puzzle starts and ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Afterward he brought me unto the north side of the house; and, behold, the house was a square; eight cubits by eight cubits. And there were alters at each corner of the house. The forefront of the house stood toward the south and the north. And royal arms were bared in the back, behind each forefront of the house, being heavily guarded on the side, and on the front. And he brought me to an alter.

And I looked and behold; waters issued forth from the side of the house. And when the man that had the line in his hand went forth eastward, he measured seven cubits, and he brought me through the waters; the waters were up to the ankles.

And he led me away until he reached another alter. And the waters continued issuing forth.

Then he brought me out of the way of alter, and led me about the way that looketh south; and, behold, the waters issued forth from the alter and proceeded to issue southward.
Again he measured seven, and brought me through the waters; the waters were up to the knees.

And he led me away until he reached another alter. And the waters continued issuing forth.

Then, facing west, he measured two cubits and brought me through; the waters were up to the hips.

And he led me away until he reached a preist. And the waters continued issuing forth.

Then, facing north he measured three cubits and brought me through to the middle of the house; and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over.

It was then I drowned and felt the sight of God lose touch with me. And he said unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen this? Then he brought me, and caused me to return to the brink of the river…
-------------

based on this information, answer the question: where did I drown?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »
I didn't actually see that puzzle before. At a cursory glance I am at a loss for where to even start.  :XD:
EDIT: Wait, I hit on something fairly big on it I think but I'm not terribly sure of a few things. Initial guess: square f4 on a chessboard. I'm ~99% sure the "house" is a chessboard but not sure what the rivers and stuff are about.

So that puzzle contest I was planning is completed and actually started now, you can try it out at http://ispuzzlecontest4.proboards.com/index.cgi if you want to give it a whirl.

It's proving a bit more difficult than I expected. In set 1 so far I have 2 solves on the easiest puzzle and 1 on the second easiest, with no one yet getting the hardest two. Now, I wasn't expecting anyone to get any of the -D puzzles without a mighty struggle, but iirc from the thread on the puzzle forum board geoo didn't have many difficulties with 1C so I'm a bit surprised no one's gotten that yet.

EDIT: in the time I spent putting up the feud results two people got the second hardest so I at least feel better about that
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »
square f4 on a chessboard. I'm ~99% sure the "house" is a chessboard but not sure what the rivers and stuff are about.

So that puzzle contest I was planning is completed and actually started now, you can try it out at http://ispuzzlecontest4.proboards.com/index.cgi if you want to give it a whirl.

you're right!

the house is indeed a chessboard. All you need to do is follow the "cubits" and clues of walking around the chessboard.. the alters are rooks, the "Preist" s the bishop.
 The water is just a diversion. I actually got this entire thing from something I saw in the bible once.  I really liked the sound of it so I adapted it into a puzzle. :D

since it seems you solved it pretty quickly how do you think I could make it tougher?

-----
as my other puzzle.... it may be somewhat unfair. I'm not sure, I'll have to take another good look at it.

I can't log into the puzzle website for some reason. I'll just try making a new account. I looked at the first puzzle but haven't worked on it hard yet. Do you mind if I post this one and other puzzles like it on your forum?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 03:43:14 AM »
I'd prefer if you waited to post your own riddles on the forum I'm running until the contest is officially over (January 10th... well actually probably later because at this rate no one's ever going to get the metapuzzle), but afterwards I don't see why not.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I. Cash for Birds
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
here is a short, simple (compared to the puzzle contests) puzzle. This will be part of a series of puzzles that link together to form another puzzle. Let me know how easy/hard it is. comments are welcome.

the title of this puzzle is: Cash for birds. 'I.' indicates this is the first in this series.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
hint 1:

the title is a clue to the answer

hint 2:

what happens when you superimpose the letters on the right onto the grid?

hint 3:

the answer will have to be anagram-ed. "X" however, probably isn't in the answer...

hint 4:

the numbers are a red herring; ignore them

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:47 AM »
Some puzzles I've made over the years (mostly in the past week). All follow the usual Puzzle Hunt conventions (i.e. you can look things up on the internet).

Mus
Stop Working, Start Puzzling
Roll Call

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »
I remember taking a look at Mus before.
Quote from: spoilers highlight to read
I figured out it was a song by "Muse" (a song I don't like very much... :-\ and I tried writing down the letters that were replaced with μ but I don't remember how far I got.   

I'll give them all another go. Now I suddenly got in puzzle mood too.  :D
that adobe page keeps crashing for me  :-\

---------
Also I've updated my puzzle to try making it a little easier. This was honestly harder than I thought it would be.
The first puzzle I posted in this topic is stupid and too difficult. I need to fix it.

-Hakuin Ekaku