Author Topic: music  (Read 3706 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
music
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
Here are some short ditty’s I made. This is basically just me messing around with a simple synthesizer. I can make much more complex songs; I just wanted to throw some riffs out there.

Some of them sound sloppy (particularly 2). This is because when I began using my set-up my keyboard had significant delay [I’d press a key and 2 seconds later it would make a sound on my PC] which is irritating needless-to-say. It’s improved some-what but I’m still working on it.
I thought with the set-up I had that I could record my piano onto my computer but I’m beginning to think that’s not possible now. This was done using an on-computer synthesizer. If I could record my actual keyboard I could do drums and basically any instrument I wanted but I still might find a way. I have a new program with other instrument features and such I just didn’t try it out yet. If I used my keyboard, note, it would sound totally different from this.

number 1 sounds a little weird because there’s fifth harmony and there’s no ‘sync’ on the program I have (at least I haven’t found it yet). But I’m looking into that too.

with Adobe Audition I can make dlb, sam, wav, svx, aif, cov, vox, dwd, mp3, m4a, pcm and raw files… but not ogg. :(  I can always look for a audio converter or I might already have one.

EDIT: I fixed the issue; I made it a zip file instead. Idk what was wrong.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: music
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
I'm having problems opening the archive. An "unexpected end of archive error" means only files 2 and 3 appear, and 3 is corrupted and won't play.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
I fixed the issue; I made it a zip file instead. Idk what was wrong. Let me know if there are anymore problems.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:36 AM »
Now I get a "Not a valid archive" error  :(

Incidentally, this is the first time I've ever seen four registered users viewing a topic simultaneously -- you've clearly piqued our collective interest!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
Interesting riffs.  The zip file extracted correctly for me, not sure what is happening on Proxima's machine.  Maybe I can try to email them to Proxima or something.

Here are my first impressions:

Riff1: Not bad at all.  I actually like the fifth harmony on this as-is right now, it gives a distinct character to the riff that I feel works for the riff.

In fact Riff1 may be my favorite of all of them, and I can almost see it usable for a tune that can be used in the Lix game, if the riff is further developed into a more proper melody (so that it's a little less repetitive), with appropriate accompaniments (drums and what-not) added to complete the picture.

Riff2:  Being very simple and basically a short loop of only a few notes, this riff seems to be designed from the outset as an accompaniment to something, rather than the melody in and of itself.  I can see it work for something.  Less sure about the instrumentation change on the second half (don't really like that sound), but might just be a limitation of the synth you are using.

Riff3:  I rather like the low opening note, with its fade-in and the buzzing sound.  It is just the kind of opening you would want for an introduction to a darkish, ominous atmosphere.  Unfortunately, once it starts moving into other notes, I found the whole thing sounded too much like someone getting seasicked on a ship getting tossed about in a violent storm. ;P  Unless that's what you were going for. :D

So yeah, keep that first note, but I would do something else for the rest.  Maybe less sliding between the notes will at least lessen the seasick factor.

Riff4:  I think the main problem with this one is that there is too much echo in the instruments used, so the notes sound a bit jumbled together.  I didn't find the loop particularly compelling either, even when considered as an accompaniment to something.  (Of course, this kind of judgment is always tricky, since it is always possible with the right melody an accompaniment can work well.  Individual parts of a symphony often doesn't make sense when played solo outside the context of everyone else's parts.)

Riff5:  I think most of what I said for Riff2 also applies here.  However, I like this riff a little less in comparison, maybe partly because of the instrument.  But again, mix in with the right melody and other parts, it might work?

Riff6:  I like this one too, possibly my second favorite after Riff1.  It is a little short, sure, but that means it can work well as an opening introduction to some melody or larger piece, or the first half of a further-developed melody.

Riff7:  Even though it uses the same instrument (I think) as Riff6, I don't think the instrument sounds very well on higher pitches.  However, I feel like the melody itself is actually pretty good.  I think on a more mellow instrument with a more sustained sound (strings?), the riff will sound much more effective.

The melody actually sounds quite like a song that someone may actually sing, vs. the sort of background looped music one would want in Lix.  I know this topic is not about making music for Lix, and this observation is definitely not a criticism of any sort.  Just pointing out that the nature of this particular riff probably works better in certain contexts different from the ones that, for example, Riff1 would work in.  And again, details of a full arrangement can change everything.

=========

Overall, it's been fun listening.  More please! :thumbsup:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »
@ Proxima; I forgot you have a Mac, if memory serves Mac doesn’t open zip files—at least not in the same way windows does? Or it could be the mp3 maybe?
edit: when I compressed these I was using some stupid program I accidentally downloaded and subsequently got rid of before uploading. Then my system had WinRAR opening all zip files and I changed that after editing it. Maybe this has something to do with it.

thanks for all the constructive criticism!  :)
This is a thread about adding music to Lix actually. Simon said he would at least consider it when he got around to doing that sort of thing for Lix. Whether they do or not I don't mind either way, I enjoy making music.
The program I'm using is a downloadable synthesizer which looks much like a mini-moog. It doesn't really have real sounding instruments exactly. I have to tinker around with waveforms, filters and modulation to get the sound I want. I haven't scratched the surface yet.

Idk if I mentioned on this forum or not but I’ve always loved Lemmings music. Especially the original songs, Tim1, Tim5, and onml 4 are my favorites. Other video game music that always stands out to me is the music from Jewels of the Oracle, albeit it’s totally different. But what I’m getting at is considering the core elements of the music. I don’t have those type of instruments to work with anyway. :P I like the second song of chips challenge but I really don’t care for the first. (i think it gets annoying very quickly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2BIf12xnQ
I’ve been obsessed with this song for a long time. What I like is the two guitars playing almost (sometimes exactly) the same thing but out of sync and then in different times. Is this sort of style of any interest? (Not a song just like this obviously but something as complex as this?)

-Hakuin Ekaku